1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

FlyPT 6DOF/Stewart/Hexapod Interface for linear and rotating actuators

Discussion in 'FlyPt Mover' started by pmvcda, Jan 2, 2019.

1. BlazinH

BlazinH Well-Known Member

Balance:
    16,568Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,830 / 32 / -1
    SMC3 or other.
  2. Pierre Lalancette

Pierre Lalancette Sir Lalancelot Gold Contributor

3D teacher
    Balance:
    7,683Coins
    Ratings:
    +883 / 6 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    I still use SMC3 with Hexapod.
    It mostly replace the force setup in Simtools. All force are put at 100% in simtools, and you control the range it influences your rig with one value per force.
    Some games gets a direct link to the rig (no Simtools).

More simple, easy to calibrate, in constant evolution. Come joint the party!
  3. Wagnard

Wagnard Well-Known Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    4,612Coins
    Ratings:
    +618 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Thanks that's what i thought, Wasn't sure since I don't have a 6dof system I won't join soon, and even I I have a 6DOF, it has independent actuators for each movement atm.
    Anyway thanks for the clear up !
  4. pmvcda

pmvcda aka FlyPT

Balance:
    14,094Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,165 / 16 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Next version might cover your rig. Major update...
    • Like Like x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  5. SilentChill

SilentChill Problem Maker

Railway Maintenance
    Balance:
    20,393Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,479 / 34 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
    Just plug and play my friend :D

edit: kind of plug and play just set the right bits and and coms and stuff and thats it :S
    • Like Like x 1
  6. SimMeInMD

SimMeInMD Member

Balance:
    266Coins
    Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    Yeah its basically plug and play, some understanding is required lol unless youre a seasoned vet like @SilentChill :p...
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. SimMeInMD

SimMeInMD Member

Balance:
    266Coins
    Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    @Pierre Lalancette, I have noticed the same! In SimTools the slider shows -100/100 but in the interface the rig only moves -50/50? Why do you think that is? Im losing some range of motion...

@pmvcda, is this something that can be fixed?

Also, when looking at my rig when using say pitch (Just FlyPT Int).. if I pitch all the way forward my front levers move to their lowest point but my rear levers can still travel another 25%. Same goes for pitch in the other direction..
  8. pmvcda

pmvcda aka FlyPT

Balance:
    14,094Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,165 / 16 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Simtools always shows -100/100.
    Simtools uses -100/100 like a % of the range you choose in the tuning center.

What you see in the interface is related to the range you choose in the interface.
    If you move to 100 in Simtools, you get +range in interface.
    If you move to -100, you get -range.

But only if you don't use filters or change gain (default is 1.0).

Motion range you are loosing in the rig has to do with the way it's built.
    If you keep gains at 1 and ranges inside the limits of the rig, you are able to reproduce the positions and angles you send to the rig (after adjusting scale).
    What might be happening is that you are using a big pitch and reach the limits of some actuators while others still have range. On that situation, you are out of range and can't replicate the pose you requested.
    Like I said, it has to do with the geometry of the rig.

It's a bit confusing at first. But I recommend to keep all gains at 1.0 and no filters, to adjust scale and make just some tests/experiments.
    The idea of the filters and gains is to make movement from the game, fit the ranges of the rig.

I'm working on the new version, and there are many changes, everywhere. One of them is the way we get data from the games an simtools, where all limits are/should be removed. More on that in the future.

Might start explaining some steps before releasing it. It's a way for me to arrange the ideas.
    • Like Like x 2
  9. SimMeInMD

SimMeInMD Member

Balance:
    266Coins
    Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    Thanks @pmvcda... I assumed that was the reason, what measurements I put into the interface will only allow my rig to move to its mathematical limits as opposed to its mechanical. In SimTools when I set each DOF I basically told the interface that Axis 1a for pitch can move 100% while Axis 2a can move 80% but they both appear to move the rig to a point that changing Axis 2a wouldn't make a difference if that makes sense.

What do you mean by adjusting "Scale"? Forgive me as I am completely new to sim rigs/dofs in general and again, don't normally understand things via text vs seeing it.
  10. hexpod

hexpod http://heXpod.xyz

Balance:
    7,073Coins
    Ratings:
    +331 / 5 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, 6DOF
    The software default is set for use with 180deg sensors without ratio.

If you use a ratio pulley or if you use other sensors than 180, you can adjust the output accordingly with a scale factor

If you use flypt “surge on pitch” and “sway on roll” option, you just put roll pitch heave yaw sway surge in the first DOF1 column - all at 100%

While using the kinematic plugins, the axis aren’t the actuators but the entire dofs, there is nothing to mix.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: May 8, 2019
  11. pmvcda

pmvcda aka FlyPT

Balance:
    14,094Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,165 / 16 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    We calculate mathematically, the position we want in the rig to obtain a sensation, the closest possible to match reality. That's what we call motion cueing.
    Having that position, we need to calculate the length or rotation of the actuators to obtain that position. Just with simtools you can't do that directly. The values you put are just an estimate and when you sum angles and positions, you loose precision and obtain wrong results.

There's a scale field in the interface.
    The objective is to match distances calculated to reality.
    If you put 50 mm sway, you want it to be 50 mm in the rig.
    It has to do with sensors resolution, gearboxes, ball screws...
    Having inserted a correct geometry for your rig, to achieve a 1 to 1 relation, you need to adjust scale. For that just do this:

-Put all gains on 1.0
    -Remove all filters
    -Don't mix sway and surge in roll and pitch
    -Put the rig at zero (reset all pose values)
    -Put an object like a chair next to the rig
    -Measure distance from object to a reference point in the rig platform (for example it gives you 350 mm)
    -Move sway slider to 100 mm
    -Measure again. (it should give 450 mm, but you have 498 mm)
    -Adjust scale slider until the diference between measures gives you the 100 mm. (450 mm)
    -Now you have the scale adjusted.

Now 100 mm travel in the actuator is 100 mm travel in the interface and the range you specified matches reality and you don't reach limit switches.
  12. SimMeInMD

SimMeInMD Member

Balance:
    266Coins
    Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0

Thank you Hexapod, I understand that while using the interface we keep all DoFs at 100% which I have. I was just noticing that when Im using SimTools in conjunction with FlyPT the actuator movements are less than if I was just using FlyPTs..

Thank you again, I haven't really messed with anything in your interface other than moving my gain from 0 to 1 lol.. No filtering or adjustments other than moving each DoF and adjusting its max range once I see where the rig stops.
  13. Pierre Lalancette

Pierre Lalancette Sir Lalancelot Gold Contributor

3D teacher
    Balance:
    7,683Coins
    Ratings:
    +883 / 6 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    True. Simtools map it on the entire range. 0 = minus range ,50 = middle, 100 = plus range. You get half the distance than using the same range with FlyPts. 0 = middle, 100 = plus or minus range.

I don't know if I express it well. Simtool 50mm, FlyPts 100mm, same range, 100%.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. hexpod

Balance:
    7,073Coins
    Ratings:
    +331 / 5 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, 6DOF
    Rotary or linear rig ?
  15. hexpod

Balance:
    7,073Coins
    Ratings:
    +331 / 5 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, 6DOF
    When you test the output with simtools sliders. The course of both, simtools and kinematic plugins match 1:1
  16. SimMeInMD

SimMeInMD Member

Balance:
    266Coins
    Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    Rotary... See pic Rig As Of 5_1_19.jpg (2) Rig As Of 5_1_19.jpg
  17. hexpod

Balance:
    7,073Coins
    Ratings:
    +331 / 5 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, 6DOF
    Good, when you start testing axis (actually dofs) and your platform goes up what is your arm position?

Horizontal? Is it matching the angular values in flypt?
  18. hexpod

Balance:
    7,073Coins
    Ratings:
    +331 / 5 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, 6DOF
    You have a “sinked cockpit” design.

Did you setup the center of rotation accordingly to your design ?
  19. Erik Green

Erik Green Member

Balance:
    289Coins
    Ratings:
    +8 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    What is the suggested / most realistic physical center of rotation for the rig. I realize it can be adjusted in software but I assume there is a preferred best location for a 6DOF rig. Thru the hip area?
  20. SimMeInMD

SimMeInMD Member

Balance:
    266Coins
    Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    @hexpod, goes up as in Heave or Pitch?

For Heave, I get all of the range of motion my rig can handle (Obviously) :)
    For Pitch down I get -5 degrees which is my rigs maximum.
    For Pitch up I get 3.5 degrees, the rear actuators are at max down angle but the front actuators only move up about 25%?

How would I do so? I believe that the 3d drawing on the interface depicts my COG perfect no? Shoulder level.