1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Floriske.nl's 2DOF Playseat GT Wiper motor Project

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by floriske.nl, Feb 8, 2012.

1. eaorobbie

eaorobbie Well-Known Member SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,401Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, SimforceGT, 6DOF
    ok cool never tried a sim with front positioned motors bsft and deriy have done so successfully thou. I have a joyrider thats constructed as only joystick, my new jrks have just arrived so its time to electrphy the joyrider and i will have a decicated flight sim. But again nice progress and the jrks will work well like that be interesting to compare.

Is this what you were looking for ???

http://fanatec.de/html/index.php?id=31156&lang=en

Racing rig or playseat compatibility:

Please ask the producer of your favoured product if the Fanatec CSR/Porsche Wheels are compatible.

The wheel itself can be mounted using 4 standard M6 screws which may not reach further than 1,5cm inside the wheel base. Please tighten the screws gently and not too hard!

The RennSport Wheel Stand Shifter adapter could help you to mount the shifter wherever you want with normal M6 screws. We commend to use the standard table clamp additionally to the screw fixation.

Measurements and weights:

• wheel - diameter: 30 cm
    • wheel base - width and depth: 23 x 16 cm
    • pedals - width, height and depth: 35 x 15 x 27 cm
    • wheel - weight: ~ 2.5kg
    • pedals - weight: ~ 1.5 kg
  2. floriske.nl

floriske.nl Member

Graphic Designer
    Balance:
    27Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 1 / -0
    Thx! I found that link as well.

Problem is it doesn't mention the CSR Elite pedals and the shifter set weight and the wheel weight seems wrong.

These are the shipping wheights I got from Fanatec:

• CSR (non elite) Wheel: 5,6kg
    • CSR Elite pedals: 7kg
    • CSR Shifter set: 5,6kg

If the wheel weight in the link is correct (2.5kg) that would mean that the box and psu weigh a massive 3.1kg

The CSR elite pedals support page doesn't mention the weight:

http://fanatec.de/html/index.php?id=31155&lang=en

Looking forward to seeing your rig in full motion :cheers:
  3. floriske.nl

floriske.nl Member

Graphic Designer
    Balance:
    27Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 1 / -0
    [​IMG]

Powered by:
    [​IMG]

Just finished the pot pivot arms and assembled the complete motor arms:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  4. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Very nice there, much better than mine as I do not have a drill press, just a shaky hand holding the drill. :rofl:
    Yes, front mounted motors work well. I have trialed different front motor mount placings on several of my previous builds with wipers and the big motors.
    Here is what I did with a another build (what?!? Again?!?), which is my current sim.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

As I have not tested motors at shoulder height connection I cannot advise if there is any motion difference or less power consumption. There are other wiper - shoulder builds here on the forum, so perhaps PM those builders directly for advice.
    Short of strength of gearing in wipers, they should have sufficient power to give you some motion, although, I ran my wipers at 23 amps max current to give decent motion, and had to put fans on the motors to cool them. I didnt break a wiper, mind you, I kept extra fat drivers off it, like over 110kg.
    Wiper motors are always a good cheap start and then if you like move on to different motors later.

Also, a suggestion, get your hands on some extension springs of different strengths. I found adding springs, and put them in different spots depending on balance, helped alleviate some balance problems and also not only reduced overall load on the motors , but with wipers being a bit tender, seemed to chopped the gearing out on constant direction change. So a spring helped create enough of a constant load on it to reduce this.
    Hi-jack thread time
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Although, as there are metal gears inside yours, you may be ok.
    Cheers, David.
  5. floriske.nl

floriske.nl Member

Graphic Designer
    Balance:
    27Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 1 / -0
    Thx for your hints, construction pics and tips David!

Can't keep up with your builds ;) That's the 4th I've seen so far :p (bet there are more)

Did an rpm test on the motors last night:

Fast: forward 55rpm / reverse 51rpm
    Slow: forward 41rpm / reverse 41 rpm

Will start with the fast speed and if the rpm difference turns out to be problematic/annoying I'll try slow.

Built some very simple mounts for- and din't clean the motors because I want to test them thoroughly before spending a lot of time on decent mounts.
  6. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yes its the 4th build, I am trying to resist more design changes, I even took all my scrap steel to the metal recycler's , I got $60 for all of it.
    I plan to stick with this for a while. I have had to make job changes, so time is shorter during the day.
    Anyway, good to see your sim is progressing. Just give the motors you have a whirl.
    When I had wipers, I had the same issue, one a bit slower than the other and different speeds from forward to reverse. Although during gaming I didnt notice it. I always used the faster speed.
    Cheers, David.
  7. floriske.nl

floriske.nl Member

Graphic Designer
    Balance:
    27Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 1 / -0
    [​IMG]

Powered by:
    [​IMG]

Took me more time than I hoped for, but managed to go from this:
    [​IMG]
    To this (white pads are thermal conductive tape):
    [​IMG]
    To this:
    [​IMG]
    Together with some decent airflow this should do the trick of keeping them cool
  8. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  9. floriske.nl

floriske.nl Member

Graphic Designer
    Balance:
    27Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 1 / -0
    Thx!

[​IMG]

Powered by:
    [​IMG]

Made the pot mounts today:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Also wanted to build a test setup with a single motor on a plank, but ran into a problem during the mounting.

Due to the construction of my motor arm it can't make a full rotation because the head of the bold hits the motor housing.
    Luckilly I noticed this before powering up the motors :cheers:

Back to the drawing board (as a figure of speech ;) ) to create some more clearance :tape:
  10. christianr3

christianr3 Member

Balance:
    531Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, JRK
    do a good job, congratulations
  11. floriske.nl

floriske.nl Member

Graphic Designer