1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Floriske.nl's 2DOF Playseat GT Wiper motor Project

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by floriske.nl, Feb 8, 2012.

1. eaorobbie

eaorobbie Well-Known Member SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,400Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, SimforceGT, 6DOF
    ok heatsink mate dont join them in case of the body earth.
  2. floriske.nl

floriske.nl Member

Graphic Designer
    Balance:
    27Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 1 / -0
    Will that cause any problems?

Bodies aren't grounded are they? And if they are, aren't all grounds connected anyway?
  3. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Regarding Earthing, with the wipers, MAKE SURE the motors are earth isolated, the feedback of 12 volts going through the frame may find its way back into the jrks, or even into your computer via the usb cables.
    I have blown a jrk due to not earth isolating the motors. Expensive mistake.
    Keep the jrks in a plastic box with the heatsinks away from any metal of the sim frame. And put a fan on the box to keep them cool.
    They are a tough little board, but like anything else, they require care.
  4. floriske.nl

floriske.nl Member

Graphic Designer
    Balance:
    27Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 1 / -0
    Since I'm using a wooden top- and bottom platform (like Deriy) instead of a metal frame current leakage- or earth current won't occur easilly.

I've bought 2x 30A switching PSU's and am planning on mounting the JRK's together with the PSU's inside a wooden case with plexiglass cover and led fans.

The pot -> motor axle connection will be done with a slotted plexiglass strip (same method as you are using on the wiper motors). So no electrical connection between pot and motor is possible either.

At first I was thinking of mounting the JRK's on the PSU housing, but since this does increase the risk of 230V leaking to the JRK ground I will isolate them from the PSU's
  5. eaorobbie

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,400Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    I only heatsink the main driver chip have not thought of putting one on the mosfet but after a lot of testing i have found that it dosent genrate much heat , not like the same on tronics h bridge. Plus from my simple knowledge on mosfets and heatsinking is that most use the body to ground the driver.
  6. floriske.nl

floriske.nl Member

Graphic Designer
    Balance:
    27Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 1 / -0
    So basically a heatsink on the VNH2SP30 chip and air cooling the rest should do the trick and combining the heatsink could result in shorts?

Too bad, seemed like a nice in between project till the building parts are complete ;)
  7. eaorobbie

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,400Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    yep sorry mate didnt want to see it go poof on ya. Another note becareful of polarity of power supply when hooking it all up, suppose to be circuit protected but not at the amps we are pushing them at.
    make a seperate smaller heatsink for the other, why not.
  8. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have heatsinks only on the big chips of mine, the heatsinks get HOT, but the boards do not stop.
    And yes regarding polarity, I just blew mine to hell tonight in a split second of stupidity, put the wrong power plug on. Damn!
  9. floriske.nl

floriske.nl Member

Graphic Designer
    Balance:
    27Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 1 / -0
    Been a pretty active casemodder and learned to be very carefull with reversing polarity the hard way ;)

For the same reason I learned to make DC connections as permanent/fool proof as possible and always double check them

Edit: for those interested here's a link to my old casemodding page: http://floriske.nl/casemodding/index_uk.php
  10. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    This fool didn't check the plug he was plugging in did he.....fetim!
  11. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  12. floriske.nl

floriske.nl Member

Graphic Designer
    Balance:
    27Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 1 / -0
    Thx!

Didn't even think about reversing (polarity of) the motor resulting in 12V on the body. Quite logical though, since in a car most metal parts are connected to the body for mass.

Eventhough it's not really needed in my case I'll still isolate them since it's a small effort.

Little status update:

The following parts have arrived so far:

• JRK 12V12's (2x)
    • Thermal adhesive for my JRK heatsinks
    • USB Cables for the JRK's
    • 100K linear Pots (4x)
    • M10 Rod ends (4x)
    • Friend of mine found 2 exactly the same Vauxhall/Opel Manta wiper motors, they where made in 2 types: a larger heavier one and a smaller one, these are 2 of the large ones.
    • He also has a V6 Vauxhall/Opel Monza drive shaft which I could have for the U-Joint as pivot point.

Still waiting for the 2x 30A switching PSU's, an RS232-USB UART, and yobuddy's package.

I've been looking around for some nice structure paint for my platforms and stumbled uppon Warnex. 1kg is enough for 3-4 m2 and should be enough in my case.

Still looking for the weights of the Fanatec CSR Wheel, Elite pedals and shifter :( pm'ed tdi-bourne2die about this since he has the wheel and pedals, but unfortunately he read the message but didn't reply.

13. floriske.nl

floriske.nl Member

Graphic Designer
    Balance:
    27Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 1 / -0
    [​IMG]