1. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  2. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  3. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Experimental DCS Plugin ready for testing

Discussion in 'Digital Combat Simulators (DCS)' started by Dirty, Jun 28, 2019.

1. Icebeat

Icebeat New Member

Balance:
    - 38Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    why in hooks? my Export.lua is in DCSopenbeta/Scripts/ but nothing xsim related in hooks
  2. Dirty

Dirty Well-Known Member Gold Contributor

All the way up front.
    Balance:
    6,396Coins
    Ratings:
    +672 / 1 / -0
    OH,....

that's definitely worth investigating! I will have to install the openbeta to reproduce the bug.
  3. Dirty

All the way up front.
    Balance:
    6,396Coins
    Ratings:
    +672 / 1 / -0
    There are two plugins for DCS:

There's the original plugin by @value1 . And there's my plugin.

I called my plugin "experimental", because I wanted to try out a few things and wanted to clearly distiguish it from the original plugin. "Alternative plugin" would probably have been the better name :)

The original plugin (not mine!) uses Export.lua in the scripts folder. That's a simple and OK method if you are using only a single DCS add-on, but since many DCS users have multiple add-ons running, that file might already be in use by another add-on. It is possible to use that one file for multiple add-ons, but integrating two scripts into one is very prone to error unless you know at least a little Lua programming.

My plugin uses its own independent script which no longer interferes with any other add-ons. This script resides in...
    • Stable branch: ".../SavedGames/DCS/Scripts/Hooks"
    • Open beta branch: ".../SavedGames/DCS.openbeta/Scripts/Hooks"
    ...and if you patched DCS via the plugin manager, it should have created those folders for you.

Here's where things sometimes go wrong:
    • If you had the original plugin installed, unpatch DCS before you re-patch it using the experimental plugin. You can keep both plugins installed in SimTools, but you should only ever have one of them patch DCS.
    • During plugin installation you are asked to specify a DCS folder. This must be "[username]/SavedGames/DCS...." (where you have all your user data), NOT the DCS game folder(where you installed the game).

I will install the openbeta branch trying to reproduce the bug, but you please check that you have the plugin installed properly and that DCS is patched.

Cheers,....

Drity :-D
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: May 11, 2021
  4. Dirty

All the way up front.
    Balance:
    6,396Coins
    Ratings:
    +672 / 1 / -0
    So, I have installed the open beta branch (btw, nice new clouds!!) and it seems to work just fine. I would've been very surprised if that update had broken the export script.

upload_2021-5-11_12-26-54.png

But no worries, if you are willing to check a few points for me, we will 100% get this working. I promise.

1st point:
    Can you please do the patching process again and then check if there is an export script in "...[username]\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Scripts\Hooks". Even better if you could post a screenshot of that folder.
    • Friendly Friendly x 1