1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Emergency Stop Switch - Wiring?

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Building Q&A / FAQ' started by boosted-lt1, Feb 11, 2014.

1. boosted-lt1

boosted-lt1 Member

Balance:
    748Coins
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, JRK
    Hey @Sebj ,

Fuse blocks are from DelCity, P/N73897
    http://www.delcity.net/store/search/p_10960.h_26034.t_1.n_y.jsp?search=73897+&x=0&y=0

I ended up not using any additional switches, just the emergency stop switch wired with 2 relays in parallel, one per JRK. I'll take some pictures and get back to you
    • Informative Informative x 2
  2. Sebj

Sebj Active Member

Balance:
    492Coins
    Ratings:
    +165 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    Thanks for that bit of info. I'm not that informed when it comes to fuses and relays and such but get the main concept. I'm wondering how you obtain the 3 different currents from the fuse so it can drive the eStop at lower Amps.
  3. boosted-lt1

boosted-lt1 Member

Balance:
    748Coins
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, JRK
    Here is a pic of how I ended up wiring mine along with a quick diagram. The switch works great - I've had to use it a bunch already during setup :D

The switch only draws 1 Amp or so. Computer fans draw even less so another small fuse required there. The JRK will draw 12A Continuous / 30A Max (or more will cooling). So each device needs a fuse of appropriate rating. Hope that helps.

Wiring 1.JPG
    Wiring 2.JPG
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. Sebj

Sebj Active Member

Balance:
    492Coins
    Ratings:
    +165 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    Hi, thanks for posting this, it clears alot up for me. !
  5. masterhoo

masterhoo New Member

Balance:
    370Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform
    Hi, I was studying the diagram and the question is Why does the Stop Switch goes located after the fuse? Have any diference to allocate it between the power unit & the fuse? This is my diagram with some other components (motors with lower Amps for experimentation only) but I think the point it would be the same. thank you.

esquema-power-supply-2.jpg
  6. masterhoo

masterhoo New Member

Balance:
    370Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    The another question would be for @SeatTime, Did you find the way to stop two motors with a single push at the same time? I just cant figure it out. Do yo have any diagram to follow? I'm using MotoMonster.

I think stopping the motors only would be useful in case the user is not under electric risk but wants to leave inmediately the playseat (a kid for example), stopping the movements only.
  7. SeatTime

SeatTime Well-Known Member

Retired
    Balance:
    28,370Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,844 / 38 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, Motion platform
    All my actuators have limit switches to automatically stop any motor from running away, but my emergency stop is connected to my AMC1280 which controls all my motors and conveniently has a terminal block for it :).
  8. masterhoo

masterhoo New Member

Balance:
    370Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Hi, @SeatTime, thank you for your answer, well I see, I think I'll end up using thanos controller because of those features, I dont understand the configuration though, meanwhile I'll continue using MMonster for experimentation. Well, I think you are already familiarized with MM, Sabertototh or JRK boards, so do you have any recommendation to stop two motors at the same time using those listed boards? Of course, bearing in mind to stop them, as described before, under no electrical risk, but the user wants to leave imediately the playseat, for example a kid, stopping the movements of the two motors only, I've added a simple sketch about the possible connection of the stop button, but if you could help me to improve it I'll be really glad of it.

kilswitch-motors.jpg
  9. SeatTime

Retired
    Balance:
    28,370Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,844 / 38 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    High current 12 VDC relays.
  10. masterhoo

masterhoo New Member

Balance:
    370Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    @SeatTime, thank you for your answer, I'll study this component to see how do I get the results I want & 'll let you know. thanks.
  11. masterhoo

masterhoo New Member

Balance:
    370Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Hi @SeatTime, I came back with a wiring diagram I created but I'm not pretty sure if correct. I want to stop both motors only with a switch/E-Stop. I would like you to help me to correct it if necessary.

I have this doubt: I connect the 87 side of the 4-pin relay direct to both motors, that would be correct? That connection can influence or cause any short-circuit in my MM driver? or an abnormal behaviour on the motors or MM? (because It would be joining the wires of the two motors in a single one) or it would be better off to use two relays, one relay for each motor? let me know please, thank you.

wires: red (+)/black (-) just in case ;)
    rele-motores.jpg
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2017
  12. SeatTime

Retired
    Balance:
    28,370Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,844 / 38 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    No that won't work - power is still being sent directly to the MM and motors. The relay/switch is actually doing nothing apart from shorting out everything when the polarity on the output of the MM changes to change the direction of the motors. Recommend you get onto Google etc and do a bit of research/education into electricity AC/DC - motors - MMs etc - you need to understand the basics or your going to blow something up :D. I could show you how to wire it up, but that would not teach you anything and knowledge is power:)
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Zed

Zed VR Simming w/Reverb Gold Contributor

Balance:
    5,834Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,043 / 4 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK
    @masterhoo - Does your power supply support remote power off / power interruption? Many do. That's showing as a 12V, 5A so maybe it doesn't but a relay big enough to handle that is very common.

In the circuit you show, I'd just put a single pole normally open relay in the positive line between the power supply and the MM. Configure your emergency switch to have contacts closed in the run position and open in the stop and wire that between the power supply and the coil of the relay. What that does is when the emergency switch is in the run position, the coil will pull in and energize the MM to be able to run the motors. Hit the emergency stop, though, and that opens the contacts on the emergency switch which interrupts the circuit energizing the relay coil. When that de-energizes, the normally open contacts of the relay open which interrupts current to the MM and stops movement. The power supply stays up, though, so all you do to restore motion is reset the emergency switch which re-energizes the relay, closes the contacts to the MM and you're back in business.

Variations would be to use a double pole relay to open and close both power and ground to the MM, using solid state relays, etc. At 5 A for testing, I don't know that I'd even bother with an emergency stop unless you are wanting to experiment with that. Thing is that while small amp supplies generally don't have remote on/off capability, the big ones you would use for real motion frequently do. That changes how you wire things up so not so much of these experiments will transfer. If you have to use a relay, it's going to be a big one, too, to handle all the current of two motors under load. It should be sized bigger than the max current the MM can handle and whatever fuse value you are going to use so it doesn't end up being the fuse or having contacts weld and then not open in an emergency.
  14. masterhoo

masterhoo New Member

Balance:
    370Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Hi @SeatTime, thank you for your answer...so in other words you are saying that to stop both motors, first I would need to turn off the current that goes straight to the MM, and only then the motors will stop. And there is no way to work directly on the MM-motors connections as depicted wrongly on my diagram :( due to the change of polarity, It has sense, I understand better, I'll research more, definitely. thank you.

Hi @Zed, thank you for your feedback, I'm still waiting for my wiper motors to arrive, 1 month at least. I understand the point now...I think I'll stop this progress until they arrive & researching in the meantime, because as you say, with a 12v 5A PSU things work different & the wiring will probably be different as well. Once they arrive I'll start with bigger components suitable for a normal-size motion sim, using the recommended components, thank you. :)
  15. Bobby2682

Bobby2682 New Member

Balance:
    98Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    So if im installing an AC emergency stop switch like this

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2213978829...jQIlM_qRde&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

I would need to install it on the AC side? So I would run just power wire from AC in of psu to switch and then from switch to AC outlet. Also ground wire from AC in of psu to AC outlet. Is this correct? I'm in US so only dealing with 120v.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2023