1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Ego's SimForceGT - with DC actuators

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by egoexpress, Sep 6, 2007.

1. EvanF

EvanF Member

Multimedia Producer
    Balance:
    423Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Re: SimForceGT - with Firgelliauto actuators

no problem,
    I only mentioned it here because we were talking about 24v for your system so it seemed relevant don't you think?
  2. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0

The h-bridge is running on 24V since one hour yet. I am uploading an additional vid that shows the systems behaviour while receiving LFS data currently.
    Anyway, I will buy some zeners with higher voltage rate tomorrow. Thanks for mentioning it.

Regards
    Christian
  3. tronicgr

tronicgr

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Thats not necessary! The 15v Zeners are there to add a little delay on the turn-on time of the mosfets to match the turn-off time and eventually protect the mosfets from creating short-circuit during fast switching.

The ones that does matter are the 1N5819 Schottky barrier rectifiers that I used. But they are in safe range too as they are rated for 40Volt!!!!!

Its totally safe to use 24 volt, or even 36volt if you like! I'll starting to reconsider if its safe or not, for over 40volts operation!!!!

Regards, Thanos
  4. EvanF

EvanF Member

Multimedia Producer
    Balance:
    423Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

That's good news, 1 hour running is a long duration, I think I'd get motion sickness if I actually sat on a motion platform for that long!
    Are the Mosfets warm to touch?
    Are you cycling the motors up and down for that long?
    How are your motors coping?
    Are they warm?
    Do you think the pots will handle the constant movements?
    How much loading have you placed on the seat?
    Do you pick up small rumbles from gravel?

Good news about Zeners handling 24V, it was only a small question and I wasn't sure so better to be safe than sorry and I didn't want to make it a big thing!
  5. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0

Here's a vid with 24V and LFS motion data.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrkzis2i_4A

The movements are quite slow because I cannot drive faster cars than this 45hp model in the LFS demo :)

Regards
    Christian
  6. RaceRay

RaceRay Administrator Staff Member SimAxe Beta Tester

Self-employed | Web and application development
    Balance:
    23,837Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,965 / 13 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, SimAxe, SimforceGT

Hey,

das ist Suuuper :) Ich würd gerne Monitor und Sim gleichzeitig sehen um die Bewegungen Einschätzen zu können. Also, am besten Du setzt Dich einmal rein, und fährst für uns ein paar Runden :D

Um wieviel Prozent lässt sich die Geschwindigkeit noch erhöhen? (ohne Modifikationen)
    Was haben die Aktuatoren damals noch gekostet?
    Ist die Reaktionszeit niedrig genug für Bodeneffekte, Stösse, Wellen, etc? (Edit: Konnte ich mir mit deinem ersten Video selbstbeantworten :D )

:thbup:

Gruß, René
  7. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0

Using faster cars that produce faster g-force changes makes the actuators run much faster.

I had to make some mods on the frame today, to lean the seat back a little.

It does not make much sense to show you more vids currently, as it is hard to judge about the performance without beamer.

I'll have the setup ready and the car batteries loaded till weekend.

Stay tuned...
  8. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0

I could not resist to make a new video that shows the actuators powered with 24V while driving a fast car :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhz8H3izmEE

Stay tuned. In the next vid you will be able to compare movements with game and sound.

Regards
    Christian
  9. tronicgr

tronicgr

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Hi Christian,

Good work!!! It moves fine now!

When sitting on it, can you feel the rumble of the road? Did you used my z-axis mixed profile to test it with bumps?

Regards, Thanos
  10. RaceRay

Balance:
    23,837Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,965 / 13 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Hi Ego,

that´s a great new video. Very powerful and fast movements, i am very impressed :clap:
    A new video to see the movements and simulator from the side,too would be nice. Maybe you can switch on the main spotlight or a Halogen spotlight for better vid quality.

regards, René
  11. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    Re: Ego' SimForceGT - with DC actuators

Here you go!

SimForceGT with GTR2 with mixed z-axis :yippiee:

You can feel road bumps even :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCImLNYfiwg

Regards
    Christian
  12. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0

Here's another vid with No Limits coaster. As most of the g-force data is on the vertical axis, its not very spectacular what you will see.

Anyway, here's the vid...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ws8OO9v5wjw
  13. tronicgr

tronicgr

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi Christian,

The two videos are great! Perhaps I should try a compile you a KP20 or KP22 firmware for more speed as your actuators don't seem to bounce around the values at all! :clap:

I'd suggest the same! Try it shooting your videos in full light environment (perhaps daylight). While shooting my videos in the past, I found that daylight gives you the best video quality! And I'd like to see it moving from a side angle point of view!

BTW, You can mix the vertical axis forces to the y-axis motion like I did on my LFS profile to be able to add a little more action on the No limits Rollercoaster! And why not, share the rnr profile to save us from lots of fiddling with it.

:thbup:

Regards, Thanos
  14. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0

As my camera is not the best one, you wont see the beamer picture, if I'd put more lightsources.

Its really easy to make the SimforceGT running with the games and Profiler. But its not that easy to work out a perfect movement profile. I just made it working as fast as I could to show you guys that it rocks. But I have to make a lot of fine-tuning still. For each game :)

I've experienced that I do lose much accelleration movements when I do mix in the z-axis. Perhaps I should try to add the z-axis as a collision effect, that will play if the value rises above a assigned minimum, instead of a common g-force effect.

I'll make a vid with LFS now :)

Regards
    Christian
  15. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    My pots do flicker over a range of 15/1000. With KP18 I do notice some jittering, due to the bad pot signal. I'll try to lower the signal interferrances by shortening the pot wires (currently 1.5m each).

If that does not help I will have to exchange the 10k pots to 100k ones perhaps. As they are common ones, Its not a big issue.
    But for now, I am quite happy with the results even with KP18.

Afais, I'll have to do much fine-tuning now.

I noticed while watching my youtube vid, that the z-axis killed the gear-change-rumble :(

Stay tuned....

Regards
    Christian
  16. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    Here's a SimforceGT video with LFS driving a BMW Sauber F1 :yippiee:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kv4jKayLzbg

Regards
    Christian
  17. RaceRay

Balance:
    23,837Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,965 / 13 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Hi Chris,

great new videos. The bump effects are very well to see at gtr2. I wonder why there are no effects at LFS???

The one i notify is that the shocks of the BMW F1 car seems to be set very soft. Looks like the car takes off :)

regards, René
  18. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    Thank you guys for your comments!

Here's another vid with RFactor! :yippiee:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtBf-dH-KS4

@Evan
    I'll answer your questions after having made some further tests. For now I just wanted to show the community that Sirnoname' X-Sim Software + Thanos motion control hardware do rock! :clap:

Yes, the mosfets do get hot. The fan is really neccessary!

Regards
    Christian
  19. Ferrari_Man

Ferrari_Man Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    - 5Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    SCN5, SimforceGT
    Hey

Really amazing job sofar, I really enjoy loging in a couple time a day and see these videos... I just hope the wiper motor are as good as yours look, sofar I haven't seen them with wheigt in the seat.

Special thanks to thanos, sirnoname and egoexpress for all your help and hard work...

Ferrari_man
  20. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    The 24V 1,5A PSU I am using to drive both acutators currently would be going to smoke up for sure if I would sit myself in there for a lenght of a vid. I tested it for some secs, and the PSU got quite hot suddenly. But the power of the acutators seems to be sufficient.

Hold, on just a few more days till I'll have got a battery loader.
    I thought there was one in my garage, but I cannot find it.
    As well I have to recenter the pivot, cause I moved the seat position a little lower to a more comfortable position.

My doubts with the actuators have been due to their speed. They have enough force for sure, as they provide 20kgf each, while the SCM SCN5 do only provide 10kgf max each.
    Now I just have to test if they wont get hot too fast...
    Without sitting in the frame the acutators dont get warm even if I drive the SimforceGT for an hour with 24V.

Imho you wont get probs with the wiper-motors. They are fast and powerful enough for a SFGT.

Regards
    Christian