1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Eao Robbies Static Sim to Seat Mover Conversion

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by eaorobbie, Aug 16, 2013.

1. eaorobbie

eaorobbie Well-Known Member SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,390Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, SimforceGT, 6DOF
    Well after selling my sim over 12 months ago, I was leaving the sim world because of reasons I wish not too discuss here. All in the past now.

So I discovered on InsideSimRacing a static PVC rig that looked like what I needed to go back to Sim Racing, not happy with existing software on another site , I had lost the interest for motion and just wanted to get back to my beloved and missed online race world, where I have met many friends in the past.

http://insidesimracing.tv/forums/

Simul8r PVC rig that I copied.

http://insidesimracing.tv/forums/topic/681-simul8r-rig-2-pvc-schedule40-mark-ii-plans-on-pg-9/

Look to page 9 for the plans he has kindly supplied.

Simul8r PVC Rig By EAOROBBIE.png
    Simul8r PVC Rig - Right Side By EAOROBBIE.png
    Simul8r PVC Rig - Pedal Mount - By EAOROBBIE.png
    Simul8r PVC Rig - Accessories Arangement By EAOROBBIE.png

Ok now it didnt take long before I was totally unsatisfied with the rig itself, I was missing my beloved motion I had grown use to. Now without having to go back to the old complicted software I was on a search for something better.
    And you know what I found it back here on this loved site. Sim Tools.
    So I went ahead and built a Seat Mover to add into my existing static frame.

Cross Section of Seat Mover.png
    Seatmover - Side On.png
    Seatmover - Rear.png

Ok as you can see a simple 25mm box frame , using motor from Motion Dynamics and driven by Jrks powered by a 12v Car battery, fairly simple setup, Total cost of static rig + Seat Mover = $830. Fairly cheap compared to the motion gained.

Here showing Seat mover placed over existing static rig.
    Seatmover in place over Pvc Rig.png

Showing motor setup, note Jrk not house as yet and testing single turn pots connected directly to the motor shaft.
    Seatmover Left Motor - Side On.png
    Seatmover Left Motor.png

Ok I know I have not gone into detail, Document being produce thou. Thought I better show what I am using to test Sim Tools and to show I still know how to setup and fine tune Jrks. Well good to be back at it.

Some of my first test videos.

More to come in time
  2. value1

value1 Nerd SimAxe Beta Tester SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

Balance:
    14,460Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,318 / 11 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, Joyrider
    Welcome back to the living! :D
    Thanks for sharing your development. This looks like an brilliant way to add motion to an existing seat.
  3. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Great Build Rob,
    your sim inspired me for my own version of a big motor jrk seat mover as well.

Attached Files:

4. eaorobbie

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,390Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    Ok here's a video of my son running in Grid2 to show the range and speed of movement achieved.

More to come.
  5. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    vvvaaaaarrrooommmmm!!!!
  6. eaorobbie

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,390Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    Now with the son on the sim, his bigger than me so a good test. Camera placed on top of the chair, to show vibrations and movement cues.

7. eaorobbie

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,390Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    Yes another video of motors in action. Wanted to show all angles of sim.

Running Jrk12v12 with unlimited amps in jrks settings, very controllable with no overshooting or undershooting.
    People have been having mass problems getting these to work under Xsim, well change software.
    They work perfectly and have been proven on several different machines.
  8. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yep, simtools right up there with sliced bread.
    Best thing around for JRKS, I have NEVER had such success with x-sim as I do with simtools.
    Love ya work fellas!