1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Does anyone have a pic of linkage: actuator to platform?

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Building Q&A / FAQ' started by ebinary, Jul 16, 2009.

1. ebinary

ebinary New Member

Balance:
    2Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I am at the point of connecting actuator to my base and platform. I puchased a couple of tie-rod ends otherwise known as universal bearings, but they don't seem to have the degree of movement I will need.

It seems that each side of the actuator needs a connection with two degrees-of-freedom. Has anyone found a great off-the-shelf solution for this, or an easy way to create the connection?

So far, I've bought a few brass bearings and couple of 1/2 cleavis pins, which seem promising if I need to DIY the connectors.

Thanks,
    Eric
  2. adgun

adgun Active Member

mechanic
    Balance:
    5,540Coins
    Ratings:
    +131 / 3 / -0
  3. ebinary

ebinary New Member

Balance:
    2Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks adgun,

Those are simlar to what I have already, but I don't know that they will have enough travel. I am building a 6DOF and it seems like rod ends only have about 15 degree of travel from center

What do you use to connect the actuator to your base - a rod end as well?

I'm looking for a joint like the only in the redering on the bottom of page 4 of this document:

http://www.exlar.com/Engineering%20Stuf ... ulaton.pdf

Thanks, Eric
  4. bertrandchap

bertrandchap New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello,
    perhaps you can try univeral joint to joint the lenght to the platform, but be careful about the axial compression you will have with the payload of a 6dof platform.
  5. ebinary

ebinary New Member

Balance:
    2Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    bertrandchap,

Thanks for the tip, but I am not sure what to beware of specifically.

Are you saying that univeral joints are known to fail when compressed along their long axis?
  6. bertrandchap

bertrandchap New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello,
    the universal joint are designed to transmit a torque, so generaly they don´t have a strong specification for the axial compression.
    But you can find universal joint able to resist to a force of 500N for the axial compression.
  7. ebinary

ebinary New Member

Balance:
    2Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    BTW... to close the loop on this discussion, I used heavy duty casters on both sides of the actuators to support the large range of movement required by my 6DOF. Pictures are posted in the photo gallery.

They work great, except for a little slapping noise from the play in the bearings when they change directions. Maybe I can add a rubber boot to slow and muffle that behavior.