1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Question Do acuators and drivers exist that don't product a 10kz whine?

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by Neil Clayton, Jun 17, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Neil Clayton

Neil Clayton New Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    163Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I've been interested in building a rig for a while, and am currently visiting my brother, who has a SFX. This thing is producing a noticeable (to me) 10khz whine. After 5m I have to switch it off and the whine remains in my head for an hour. It's pretty painful and I rather wish I was one of those that wasn't this affected by it. Tears.

I'm aware most people just put up with it, but for me, I don't think I could build one if it emitted that noise. Doesn't stop me from wanting to tho!

So the quest begins:
    1) Are there actuators and drivers that don't exhibit this whine?
    2) If not, are there are at least actuators that don't produce it? I can relocate the drivers if needed.

My main concern isn't cost... but I'm not sure I want to go to the dbox level of not-concerned-ness.

Speaking of which; that's the kind of rig I have in mind. 4 actuators (I have a P1 rig). Some kind of AC driver(s).

I've emailed PT-Actuators to ask them (the PT16 4DOF kit). Not sure what their AC driver is... but they do seem to supply one from what I can tell on their site.

For reference, here's a pic from "Spectrum" running on an iOS 8. I know the mic is probably rubbish in a phone; but it gives *some* idea I hope of the level of 10Khz I'm talking about.

10khz Goblins.png

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uokzezflmoohkwf/10khz Goblins.png?dl=0
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. wannabeaflyer2

wannabeaflyer2 Well-Known Member

Balance:
    8,287Coins
    Ratings:
    +950 / 7 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
    smarter People than me will confirm yes they do exist but generally theres a price premium , these ASD15 servo drivers are great but meant for different market , in saying that they have also been victim of there own success in the DIY sim motion niche , cheap enough to make them atractive for our use but downside was internal design , cant fault it bang for bucks it does what it says in the spec LOL the 10KHz thing is the downside, thats if your sensitve to that frequency , bad hearing helps being older helps Bloody great earphone work though LOL :) but there may be light at end of tunnel as theres a rumor that manufacturer may be trying to correct this ..
  3. Gadget999

Gadget999 Well-Known Member

Balance:
    11,610Coins
    Ratings:
    +458 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    use dc drivers and dc motors that run at a higher frequency

can the aasd drives run at a different frequency
  4. Thanos

Thanos Building the Future one AC Servo at a time... or 6

Electronics Engineer
    Balance:
    2,699Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,043 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, Motion platform, 4DOF, 6DOF

There is communication with the AASD servos manufacturer engineers, to create new design units with 15khz frequency carrier on the IGBT, but if that fails to go through, I already allocated another brand servo drive that has adjustable frequency carrier via its panel...

Thanks
    Thanos
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. BlazinH

BlazinH Well-Known Member

Balance:
    16,575Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,831 / 32 / -1
    He's probably moved forward already since this thread is over a year old and wasn't answered.
  6. Thanos

Thanos Building the Future one AC Servo at a time... or 6

Electronics Engineer
    Balance:
    2,699Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,043 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, Motion platform, 4DOF, 6DOF
    I was replying to @wannabeaflyer2
    • Like Like x 1