1. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Download Package Now!
  2. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  3. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant here. Do not following these rules will lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.

Question Do acuators and drivers exist that don't product a 10kz whine?

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by Neil Clayton, Jun 17, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Neil Clayton

Neil Clayton New Member

Balance:
    74Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I've been interested in building a rig for a while, and am currently visiting my brother, who has a SFX. This thing is producing a noticeable (to me) 10khz whine. After 5m I have to switch it off and the whine remains in my head for an hour. It's pretty painful and I rather wish I was one of those that wasn't this affected by it. Tears.

I'm aware most people just put up with it, but for me, I don't think I could build one if it emitted that noise. Doesn't stop me from wanting to tho!

So the quest begins:
    1) Are there actuators and drivers that don't exhibit this whine?
    2) If not, are there are at least actuators that don't produce it? I can relocate the drivers if needed.

My main concern isn't cost... but I'm not sure I want to go to the dbox level of not-concerned-ness.

Speaking of which; that's the kind of rig I have in mind. 4 actuators (I have a P1 rig). Some kind of AC driver(s).

I've emailed PT-Actuators to ask them (the PT16 4DOF kit). Not sure what their AC driver is... but they do seem to supply one from what I can tell on their site.

For reference, here's a pic from "Spectrum" running on an iOS 8. I know the mic is probably rubbish in a phone; but it gives *some* idea I hope of the level of 10Khz I'm talking about.

10khz Goblins.png

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uokzezflmoohkwf/10khz Goblins.png?dl=0
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Ads Master

Ads Master

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0