1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

DIY Surge platform for DOFReality H3

Discussion in 'Commercial Simulators and Peripherie' started by Silyn, Mar 5, 2024.

1. Silyn

Silyn New Member

Balance:
    - 36Coins
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    Hi all, working on a fun project for my H3

I have an older unit I've modified with planetary geared motors and welded on brackets to hold aluminum profile, but my next step is to rebuild it using aluminum extrusion, and build a surge platform for it as well.

My idea is to use a ballscrew and linear HGH rail guides with a string 0-5v potentiometer, so I can use the same design as DOFReality's control box, using a mean well 24V power supply, arduino and sensor shield 5.0, and md13s motor drivers, skipping the need for Thanos and actuators (for now )

I think getting SRS to talk to sim tools and simhub reliably is probably my most likely issue but otherwise I'm pretty confident it's gonna work!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  2. Silyn

Silyn New Member

Balance:
    - 36Coins
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    This space intentionally saved for updates
  3. Silyn

Silyn New Member

Balance:
    - 36Coins
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF

Looks like someone beat me to the punch with their old gearboxes, but mine will be using linear sliders and a ballscrew versus the older gearboxes, but still cool idea!
  4. Silyn

Silyn New Member

Balance:
    - 36Coins
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    upload_2024-3-18_23-47-13.png
    V1 of bracket done, going to have to tap some holes in the bottom rails but I think this will work
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Silyn

Silyn New Member

Balance:
    - 36Coins
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    upload_2024-3-19_22-26-12.png
    V3 of bracket, had to redesign it to make it longer to accommodate proper hole sizes, I used sketches, then switched over to actually using the hole too, I'm learning CAD and 3D printing on the fly but feeling good about it! 4 Hours of print time left!
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Silyn

Silyn New Member

Balance:
    - 36Coins
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    upload_2024-3-20_9-12-27.png
    First prototype complete :) Modified v3 to make the holes just a smidge bigger for better tolerances, v4 attached!

Using M5x16mm socket cap screws for the top, M8x45mm socket cap screws for the sides

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  7. Radioproffi

Radioproffi Active Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    1,569Coins
    Ratings:
    +80 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform, 4DOF, 6DOF
    HGH will be noisy, I think it’s better to choose something else, ideally rubberized

Although, considering that you switched to planetary gearboxes, I don’t think that the platform as a whole will become noisier)
  8. Silyn

Silyn New Member

Balance:
    - 36Coins
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    Oh, well, what kind are better? Is there somewhere I can find out what the differences are? I found it hard to identify other than load ratings.

Thanks for the reply :)
  9. Silyn

Silyn New Member

Balance:
    - 36Coins
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Silyn

Silyn New Member

Balance:
    - 36Coins
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    Having to pivot away from the string pot, just can't get clean enough output from it, gonna try to figure out how to get encoders working
  11. Silyn

Silyn New Member

Balance:
    - 36Coins
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    • Useful Useful x 1
  12. Silyn

Silyn New Member

Balance: