1. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  2. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  3. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

DIY Linear Actuator design

Discussion in 'Motor actuators and drivers' started by wannabeaflyer2, Mar 5, 2016.

1. SeatTime

SeatTime Well-Known Member

Retired
    Balance:
    28,605Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,986 / 37 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
    Having used both, IMO the performance/easy of use difference is great. AC servo motors FTW. For a non balanced Rig (Stewart Platform etc) a good DC setup is actually not that much cheaper, once you factor in good quality motors, drivers, feedback and power systems. Don't forget that the price of a AC servo motor normally covers also the matched power supply/driver, fitted encoder, cables and connectors.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2020
  2. yondwangmms

yondwangmms Member

Balance:
    - 144Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    I am located in China. On Taobao, I can buy a cheap and stable DC motor driver board to drive my 24V 400W DC motor (the motor price is very low), as well as linear potentiometers with various stroke and low price. Moreover, the price of an 800W DC power supply is only 200rmb. So the cost of DC motor is lower! And this low-cost performance can fully meet my needs.
  3. SeatTime

SeatTime Well-Known Member

Retired
    Balance:
    28,605Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,986 / 37 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
    Your time/money so the decision is always yours.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. yondwangmms

yondwangmms Member

Balance:
    - 144Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    I mean, if there's no big performance gap between the two solutions, why not use a lower cost one? But because I have no comparison, I don't know how to choose.
  5. Pierre Lalancette

Pierre Lalancette Sir Lalancelot Gold Contributor

3D teacher
    Balance:
    6,937Coins
    Ratings:
    +813 / 6 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    Just choose. In a few months, you will want to redo it all again anyway. All sim makers are like that.
    • Agree Agree x 1