1. Hundreds of coffees, endless nights of debugging and coding, and countless feedback by our beta testers led to this new major release. SimTools 2.4 is probably the version with the most upgrades and improvements in a single release ever. Look at everything Dustin has included:
    SimTools 2.4 all features.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Download Package Now!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant here. Do not following these rules will lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.

DIY Linear Actuator design

Discussion in 'Motor actuators and drivers' started by wannabeaflyer2, Mar 5, 2016.

1. motiondynamics

motiondynamics New Member

Balance:
    69Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, DC motor, AC motor, SimAxe, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
    One question: can flexible joints (with a simple hole) have slipping problems on the motor shaft?
  2. wannabeaflyer2

wannabeaflyer2 Well-Known Member

Balance:
    6,613Coins
    Ratings:
    +725 / 4 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
    Hi again This type of accessory https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=images&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwi1tcz9r8jiAhW68uAKHcAfBDMQjRx6BAgBEAU&url=https://www.banggood.com/Ballscrew-Nut-Seat-Bracket-Holder-Ball-Nut-Housing-Bracket-Mount-For-SFU1604-1605-1610-p-1046815.html&psig=AOvVaw298El-GcSd4FrFfl-cPvSc&ust=1559481642803471 might be something your after . close to off shelf part requiring just some extra tapped holes to secure a tube mount . Just a thought as im doing that on mine now as part of some updates .. printing 3d parts later today just for trail fit to see if its a doabke option :)

not sure if your saying you have a slipping problem with the coupler or need a method to prevent slipping :) either way any looseness in this area usually increase wear and will becoame a greater problem over time. Best to make sure any coupler used is very secure and use threadlocking compound to secure screws once tightened.. the back and forth nature of the movement will work loose if not keyed / Pinned or not tight enough in 1st place . again just my 2 cents worth -----call it wannabe's learning curve being passed on LOL
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2019
  3. wannabeaflyer2

Balance:
    6,613Coins
    Ratings:
    +725 / 4 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Hi @motiondynamics as mentioned yesterday this is the option im introducing to my Actuators to make use of off the shelf Ball Nut carrier , I will need to drill and Tap an additional 3 x M5 ( 15mm deep holes) to the purchased block I think they are less than £5.00 each ..

The photo shows the 3D printed Rod Mount and there will be 2 Adjustable sliders to dial out excess ball nut carrier rotation.. also while I have the Actuator apart i'll had the Optical encoder GT2 40T pulley to the Motor Shaft .
    IMG_2959.JPG IMG_2960.JPG
    • Like Like x 1
  4. motiondynamics

motiondynamics New Member

Balance:
    69Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, DC motor, AC motor, SimAxe, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
    Hi wannabeaflyer2,
    congratulations for the idea you had, in this the Ballnut replaces the piece that you would have had to print in 3D, shorter waiting times to create the piece in 3D and print.
    Two curiosities:

1) I read that the diameter of the steel tube is 18 mm inside and 20 mm outside (1 mm thick metal), so I suppose the diameter of the Ballnut attached to the ball screw is about 18 mm, which the Ballnut extra, it has an internal hole with a diameter of about 20 mm. Is it so?

2) The 20 mm tube, how was it fixed with the two Ballnut? I saw on the photos a piece of blue color attached with the tube, but I didn't understand the method of fixing (a passing screw? Or glue?)

Thank you

Attached Files:

5. wannabeaflyer2

Balance:
    6,613Coins
    Ratings:
    +725 / 4 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Hi @motiondynamics I just today did a drawing of the revised Adaptor which can be 3d Printed or |Made out of Ali / HPDE plastic .. Gimme a mo to photgarph the drawing and i'll add it to this post later , 9 Gotta find camera as I forgot to e-mail it to myself at home LOL ) .

My Steel tube has a 25mm od and the Ball nut is 28 mm The clamp has a hole reduction feature to match the chosen Tube ( Carbon Fibre . Metal whatever ) centrally to the ball nut and is locked in place with a Pinch clamp feature built into the adapter ,, ( as most of the force is applied vertically ) this pinch clamp idea should be Fine ..

the one shown in pic was done on cnc Lunch time so bit rushed but the idea is there , its clamped to the ball nut holder by x M5 screws and has a 6mm Nut and bolt at the base to clamp onto the tube to prevent tube rotation or being pulled away from the adapter block ..

Tomorrow i'll clean up the sketch and show a cutaway section of the assembly .. the loaded platform weight is transferred directly from the rod to the top face of the ballnut . well that's the theory ..

so the 3d printed version in blue was proof of concept the Black ( Delrin -Acetal Co Ploymer ) CNC version I think will be my choice ( mainly because I have access to this machine at work in free time .. my Home cnc is in bits ... making it bigger) but missing its use for stuff like this .. Cheers

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
  6. hannibal

hannibal Active Member

Balance:
    2,250Coins
    Ratings:
    +70 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    you keep reinventing the wheel... my friend, you need to enjoy your 6 DoF more than you do building it @wannabeaflyer2 !!!
  7. wannabeaflyer2

Balance:
    6,613Coins
    Ratings:
    +725 / 4 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    LOL @hannibal you have a very valid point , im a tinerer and love the making bits , But need to get on with getting the platform with these upgrades running , these were little upgrades that I had inn mind so I'd better get back to assembly after these last bits are made :) im missing the fun
    So order was placed yesterday for AMC103 Sensors ( plastic took a hit ) and 3D printer will now be working and earning its keep Cheers Crew.
  8. wannabeaflyer2

Balance:
    6,613Coins
    Ratings:
    +725 / 4 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Hi Guys , As a master tinkerer and general I can try that kinda guy , I have decided to embark on a 5 DOF simulator using these ever popular AASD15A AC servo Motor Drive / Motor Kits .. always had this bee in my Bonnet about using encoders and this system looks like it will fit the Bill ..

I'll start a New Post for this new Endeavour so this is just a teaser , The new actuator I just built is a Derivative of my Trusty ol 6 DOF unit ( just scaled down to allow 150mm total travel ..

Cad drawings are now in last stages before release but those familiar with the MK1 version will see no major changes other than the Motor used and some small tweaks .

If these Motors Perform as well as they seem to , then im looking to swap my DC units out and replace them with these AC servos . Some changes will be needed to the New Motor Mounting arrangement but totally doable so I'll still Have 6 DOF setup and running and a 5DOF Car racing sim with Traction Loss..

Basically this new system will be Wannabe's version of the SFX unit but with my Tight arsed trying to save money mods LOL .

So without further ado here are a few teaser Pics ..

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 6
  9. wannabeaflyer2

Balance:
    6,613Coins
    Ratings:
    +725 / 4 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Doh Forgot the 1st Draft Cad Pic

Happy to report the 1st round of manual testing went greta actuator works a treat ,
    Using my Barebones AMC128USB with AASD15A firmware and connected to AASD15 Controller via a Bread boared Lash up ..all ggod
    Self Homing Works ,
    No Limit switch required ( But these can b fitted if user needs them )
    Next Step Simtool V2.04 Control Then I will be cooking with Gas as they say ..

Currently Only bought one controller / Ac Servo Set as test assembly, But looking good so far IE "does what it say on the tin " just like the advert :)

Just need to tidy Up the last few Bits on the Actuator .. NEW POST coming guys

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2019
  10. wannabeaflyer2

Balance:
    6,613Coins
    Ratings:
    +725 / 4 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    One mor LOl then i'll bugger off for the day
    Note speed turned down for these initial test ...This puppy will go a bucket load faster once I get brave enough :)

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Thanos

Thanos Building the Future one AC Servo at a time... or 6

Electronics Engineer
    Balance:
    3,217Coins
    Ratings:
    +403 / 4 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, Joyrider, Motion platform, 4DOF, 6DOF
    Soon you'll be here:

;)
    • Like Like x 2
  12. Gadget999

Gadget999 Active Member

Balance:
    4,962Coins
    Ratings:
    +118 / 4 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino
    you are going from 6dof down to 5dof and a reduction in movement to 150mm

what were you reasons for these decisions

how much are the ac motors - they look like a nice unit, what is rpm ?