1. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  2. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  3. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Lesson DIY Force Feedback Flight Yoke

Discussion in 'DIY peripherals' started by T R Para, Jan 18, 2019.

1. T R Para

T R Para i make stuff up Gold Contributor

Retired
    Balance:
    2,515Coins
    Ratings:
    +328 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, 6DOF
    Yes I think Kevlar and Aramid is the same. With the force-test software a spring setting of 30 is about as good as I can do to return the pitch back to near zero. You will see an improvement with the resistor mod. I have experimented with larger motors and replaced the surface mount mosfet output IC's with larger discrete mosfets arranged as H-bridges . I think I have pretty much maxed out the capabilities the the MS FFB2 control board. It too is a very old design. And the only software supporting it is XPforce.
    I believe the next step would be to use closed loop AC servo motors and a controller like the Thanos board.
    I am totally at the mercy of the software developers as I cannot write any code.
    The fact that FS2020 does not support FFB at all adds to the problem.
    SO the choices are a $2000 Brunner yoke or this simple diy yoke.
    I am very happy with mine. I think the designer did a very good job.
    Its an open source project (he gets paid nothing) and I am not aware of any one doing it better.

It looks to me that you have done a very good job on your build.
    It sure beats the 2 springs in a box yoke most simmers are using...:):):)
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. Getnothingdone

Getnothingdone New Member

Balance:
    90Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor
    Yes, far better than 2 springs in a box :)
    buuuuuuuuut, back to my problem: how to get rid of the deadzone. Where at the board is the program code stored, if there is any. Or is all done using standart parts with correct wiring? Are we able to modify the bord in a way that we get the pure Pot readings to the computer? Can we use aditional Pots parallel to the existing ones with a bodnar board or an arduino micro? Does FFB still work wenn we use different axis assignments for FFB and steering?
  3. T R Para

T R Para i make stuff up Gold Contributor

Retired
    Balance:
    2,515Coins
    Ratings:
    +328 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, 6DOF
    Ok well I do not have an answer for you. There is a dead zone. I can see it in the fs2020 sim control options screen.
    It has never bothered me. I flew for an hour or so today and once I get it trimmed it sees stable to me.
    Reducing the tooth count on the Bodnar would make the pot move faster through the deadzone but I do not know what effect it will really have after you calibrate the joystick.
    Here is a pic of the pitch axis curve on fs2020. It is easy to see the dead zone..
    I think your yoke is performing properly. If your not happy with it that is a bummer.
    I am pretty sure there are plenty of guys that would love to get it from you. lol :)

Attached Files: