1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

DIY FFB Steering wheel (MMosFFB ) (In Progress)

Discussion in 'DIY peripherals' started by Alexey, Dec 10, 2015.

1. Alexey

Alexey Well-Known Member

Electronics Technician
    Balance:
    8,060Coins
    Ratings:
    +620 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Again, I wasn't happy with my sequential shifter. it just didn't have that "clunk" that you expect when shifting up and down gears. So I borrowed a design from a member here and made a new one, again...

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So now I get that nice and sturdy "clunk" when shifting gears.

And now, My pedal set number 2.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The pedals feel really solid and have good resistances. The brake pedal might need tweaking here and there but really needs proper game testing to find a comfortable spot (spring strength).

Now I just need to rebuild the motion sim and wire everything up. Sounds so simple in thoery o_O
    • Winner Winner x 8
    • Like Like x 6
  2. birle1

birle1 New Member

Balance:
    232Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    hi alexey, sorry for the delay :oops:. i haven´t got time to do things when I want. i have a tester and have tested the electric wiring. I post here what I find:

yellow cable= grn
    green cable= V++
    black and white cable= A and B

the next step it will be weld all the cable and probe it. but I´m start testing MMos ffb tool, I erase the discovery board chip and copy the .hex. the pc recognize the board as MMos, but in the MMos application still appear in red the sing that have to be in green. can it be because I don´t do all the conection?? don´t answer yet. i will test it this week and I maybe star new post for all my question, ok?
  3. Slider

Slider Active Member

Irrigation
    Balance:
    1,130Coins
    Ratings:
    +112 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, JRK
    Love the Shifter!
  4. fzxj520

fzxj520 Active Member

Balance:
    1,341Coins
    Ratings:
    +88 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    Is the wiring correct? IBT-2.jpg
  5. OZHEAT

OZHEAT Active Member

Balance:
    2,458Coins
    Ratings:
    +106 / 6 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor
    Great work @Alexey .
    Sorry, I didn't reply to your question earlier but no, my job doesn't involve automation.
    I am a dunny diver(Plumber) but I do have intrest in mechanical and electronics.

I am currently getting back to doing a steering wheel but have now thought up bit of a curveball.
    I have a 2kw AC brushless motor and servo drive that I have had for ages and I was thinking about putting that in to service as a steering wheel as a test but it maybe too powerful and a bit of a power hog but I can adjust max torque and speed to a manageable level.
    What I want to do with the servo is to actually test and compare the different modes using the PWM output of the MMos.
    The servo drive has torque, speed and position modes, so what I will do is test the motor using speed and torque modes and compare the feeling and driveability.

I just need to convert the pwm to an analog voltage of +/-10v or I can use an undocumented mode of analog input 0-10v and using 1 of the inputs as dir signal. manual only mentioned dir in position/step mode but I tested the drive and the dir also works in torque and speed mode.
    I also need to mount a steering wheel to the motor adaptor and fix the wheel to the table.

Cheers Andy
  6. OZHEAT

OZHEAT Active Member

Balance:
    2,458Coins
    Ratings:
    +106 / 6 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor
    @RacingMat you seem to be active in the french virtual racing forum, being such a long thread it is doing my head in searching for information.
    Can you tell me if anyone have used different branded servo drives besides the Granite drives for their DD wheels?
    Cheers Andy
  7. RacingMat

RacingMat Well-Known Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    20,895Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,084 / 21 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    No because servo drives with torque control are very expensive

Granite Devices are industrial grade but are the "cheapest" :)

We started the very first DD DIY wheels on racingfr.com with VSD Granite Drives and later Granite produced IONI compliant with our use and cheaper.
  8. OZHEAT

OZHEAT Active Member

Balance:
    2,458Coins
    Ratings:
    +106 / 6 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor
    Thanks for your answer Mat.
  9. betomuraro

betomuraro New Member

Balance:
    22Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi, i've been reading this forum for a long time hoping to find any light about ffb wheels. Although theres the OSw project that seems the top cherry of sim wheels, it is very expensive to build one in my country.

So I found this wonderful project with DC motors and WAY cheaper than OSW... I have to say, Alexey, man you're going to heaven thanks on advance to bring this for us!

If not asking too much of you guys, I have some questions and, added to that, I have almost no experience with neither electronics or coding, but could understand the basic thoughts in this project. If you guys could helpe with some questions, here they go:

1 - Can I use another version of STM32 i.e. stm32f103c8t6? Because I cant find the Discovery version over here.

2- I was searching for the motors and found a real cheap 100w sewing machine motor. Can I use that or I will set fire on my house?

3- Wich arduino H bridge can I use, because I couldnt find the motomosnter one over here too.

4- How many pps should a encoder have to be useful? Whats the difference when I increase pps?

5- Is it difficult to wire the whole thing up by just following the schemes here?

Thank you in advance and thank you again, Alexey for the initiative!
  10. RacingMat

RacingMat Well-Known Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    20,895Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,084 / 21 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
  11. betomuraro

betomuraro New Member

Balance:
    22Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    There you go. Thanks for the heads up!
  12. PiaMan

PiaMan Active Member

Balance:
    607Coins
    Ratings:
    +131 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, SCN5, Arduino
    I thought most sewing machine motors are AC but I could be wrong. Make sure it is a DC motor
  13. ferslash

ferslash Active Member

Balance:
    4,798Coins
    Ratings:
    +181 / 2 / -0
    @betomuraro

dear beto, i dont know where you are, but sourcing parts locally it is hard for everyone if it is not done using online stores (the parts are too specific)

i would recommend you source on aliexpress.com they send to all the world (almost all) you have to wait some times for months some times but shipping is usually free

best regards

fer
  14. ferslash

ferslash Active Member

Balance:
    4,798Coins
    Ratings:
    +181 / 2 / -0
    by the way, all the sewing machines are ac, if you whant a cheap dc motor go for a car wiper motor (un motor de parabrisas de carro)

fer
  15. tadythefish

tadythefish Active Member

Process automation engineer
    Balance:
    676Coins
    Ratings:
    +95 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Hey I'm building a MMOS wheel myself.. I have problems with saving the settings. If I power cycle the board it looses all settings.. Did you have simmilar problems?
  16. Alexey

Alexey Well-Known Member

Electronics Technician
    Balance:
    8,060Coins
    Ratings:
    +620 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    I haven't got the mmos utility on the PC I'm on at the moment but I do believe there is a "save" function on the lower right hand side panel.
    Within that save tab I do believe there is also a drop down list as to what you are saving to, eg saving to the board or a config file.
  17. Daguru

Daguru Rally drivers do it in the Dirt

Kitchen installer
    Balance:
    453Coins
    Ratings:
    +632 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Motion platform
    Yeah i think you need to save to eprom
    downloadfile.jpg
  18. Nick Moxley

Nick Moxley Well-Known Member

Owner/Operator- Moxleys Rantals
    Balance:
    17,054Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,504 / 30 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, DC motor, JRK

Correct, saving to Eprom is the Default default.
  19. Fernando Igor

Fernando Igor Member

Programmer
    Balance:
    913Coins
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino
    Is your project still alive? I recently discovered it.
    I'm thinking of giving life to my dead g27, initially using its structure, motors and encoder.
    At first, I'm trying to read the encoder with an Arduino, but I did not succeed. The encoder does not give any interrupt information.
    After a quick search on the DFGT model, I realized that the circuit is very similar (except for a wire of the connector, in which it is connected to a thermistor).
    Could you provide the wiring diagram for the dfgt encoder sensor?
  20. Alexey

Alexey Well-Known Member

Electronics Technician
    Balance:
    8,060Coins
    Ratings:
    +620 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    The project is still alive, just that I have no idea what free time is these days. The main issue you will have trying to re use the G27 motor is that you will need to use a 24V H-Bridge and a 24V power supply. Do not use the G27 power plug pack as it will only just have enough power to supply the motors. With MMos the motors can end up drawing a little bit more current than normal. You can try to use the standard power pack but keep it in mind that it may not hold up well or get hot.

The G27 has an extra wire on the encoder which I can only assume is the "Home signal". Then there will the the "A" and "B" channel, then power and ground. Exactly what wires they are I am unsure because I can't seem to find any info on the internet. To find out what wires are what you need to have knowledge in circuit theory and an oscilloscope. You could get away with not having an oscilloscope but you cant get away with no circuit theory knowledge. You will need to be able to identify the optical transmitter and receiver and trace the circuit to the channels + power lines.

When I get home I'll trace out what my DFGT encoder pin out is but I wouldn't assume that the pin out would match the G27.

Sorry I can't help more.
    • Like Like x 2