1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

DIY FFB Steering wheel (MMosFFB ) (In Progress)

Discussion in 'DIY peripherals' started by Alexey, Dec 10, 2015.

1. Climbingman

Climbingman New Member

Balance:
    45Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino
    I just got EMC up and running on my Leo and it is soooooo much better that the ai wave one. I don’t think I can go back now. I think once my rig is finished I will upgrade to an stm32 I’m just using the Leo because I had it laying around. Thanks for the recommendations!!!!
  2. itsumairu

itsumairu Active Member

Psychologist
    Balance:
    394Coins
    Ratings:
    +85 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    congrats! you can use your leo as a gimx adapter. with this you can play a game that not supported by EMC, ex: forza series and snow runner.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Sieben

Sieben Active Member

Balance:
    2,216Coins
    Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -0
    Before stm32 EMC was on Leonardo. The freeware variant can be ok too. People like it. If recall right the pro version was also for Leo, and then switched to stm32.

You can overwrite on it. Or can can clear the eeprom with this hex.

Attached Files:

4. elnino

elnino Active Member

Computer Geek
    Balance:
    1,458Coins
    Ratings:
    +136 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Yes, but the STM32 version is much better too. There are some significant limitations with the Leo that meant development could go no further with it. Even as it is, the leo version of EMC (By Eblolz, as I don't believe he is the original author) is a couple of years old I think. But rather than just be cheap and use the free version, why not contribute to the development of true DIY and buying the pro version for the cost of a few cups of coffee. it's going to be a drop compared to the cost of the PC you are running a sim on and you get all the benefits of support and better features.

People get too tied up in 'free'
    • Like Like x 2
  5. itsumairu

itsumairu Active Member

Psychologist
    Balance:
    394Coins
    Ratings:
    +85 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    yes, it's just cost a little money, but you can get all the benefits.
    he's so open to discussion or question.
    as far as I know, Ebolz is the author of EMC. and he's from the same city as me.
  6. elnino

elnino Active Member

Computer Geek
    Balance:
    1,458Coins
    Ratings:
    +136 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    He is definitely the author of the current generation but I don't think he is for the original EMC from several years back. I remember reading a post by the original author on another forum a few years ago that he had abandoned it and would not release source code for the original Arduino version when some people asked for updates/fixes/features. Something about being too hard to set up the programming environment again and could not be bothered - had moved on from the project.

My impression was that either Ebolz wrote his own version, but with a common name to the original or he struck up a deal with the original author to get the source code/rights but I don't think he was the original author.

I could be totally wrong but that's how i've always understood it.
  7. Sieben

Sieben Active Member

Balance:
    2,216Coins
    Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -0
    Dont' care about it. Man asked and get an answer. What's the problem?
  8. itsumairu

itsumairu Active Member

Psychologist
    Balance:
    394Coins
    Ratings:
    +85 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    or I could be the one that wrong. lol.

lol.. sorry for the off topic.
    just wanna point it out, that EMC pro is worth to consider.
  9. GTFREAK

GTFREAK New Member

Balance:
    61Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  10. elnino

elnino Active Member

Computer Geek
    Balance:
    1,458Coins
    Ratings:
    +136 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Using that encoder will not work because none of the firmware that I know of will support it.

But I have to ask WHY? What is the benefit? A standard 1000ppr encoder still produces 4000 interrupts per revolution, the key word there is interrupts - The microcontroller is not polling the device on a loop by i2c to determine position. It's 'tracked' via interrupts.

I can see some benefit in always having an absolute position, but that's assuming we're only using a 360 deg wheel. Anything more than that and absolute position goes out the window anyway.

Stick with a normal rotary encoder, it just works.
  11. GTFREAK

GTFREAK New Member

Balance:
    61Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I understand thank you, could you point me in the direction of a build with a brushless out runner motor from a RC, if there is any. I want to try to build a wheel much better than my T150, I cant really feel much FFB details like weight transfer and the wheel feels light.

I'm from Jamaica so its difficult to import a more expensive wheel, there are brushless RC motors available locally. I know from researching the higher end belt driven wheels have brushless motors so wondering if anyone did a project relating to these, much help would be appreciated.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/propdrive-v2-3548a-1100kv-brushless-outrunner-motor.html
  12. elnino

elnino Active Member

Computer Geek
    Balance:
    1,458Coins
    Ratings:
    +136 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    ** I have no experience with this but:

EMC Pro Does support this BLDC controller
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000438827676.html $100

It also uses some CAN stuff, I'm not sure what it's used for, probably current sense and/or setting parameters but it means you prboably need that module too (it's a few $)

You'll also need to use the STM32F407VET6 board, the 103 will not cut it. $20

He suggests the high voltage servo motor MIGE130ST 1Kw 10nm $500+ to be used with this.

I am not sure how you would go with BLDC, you'd have to ask him.

You probably need more parts than this

Cogging is likely to be a big issue with BLDC

I don't think the motor you linked to is likely to have enough torque for this application. You'd be looking for low KV larger diameter motors. Something like this seems more appropriate but once again, I have no actual experience with this. Remember, we're running the motor in stall mode, which they don't particularly like and aren't designed to do.

The other option you have is to use a 'hoverboard' brushless motor and an ODrive board, but the Odrive is $300 (US?) - There are posts about it here.

A brushed setup with MY1020 and a couple of BTS7960 will produce 6-7nm of DD torque and can be built for a bit over $200AUD depending on your resourcefulness. Or, you could acquire an old escooter and harvest the motor/gears/belt and do a non DD for a potentially even cheaper option.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. Wayne Thebus

Wayne Thebus Member Gold Contributor

CNC Machinist/Programmer
    Balance:
    163Coins
    Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Yes for sure EMC Pro works really well. I have been using it for a long time and it just works.
  14. GTFREAK

GTFREAK New Member

Balance:
    61Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I see, I researched the DC motor and see that the current is proportionally to torque like what is mention in the MY1020 post. I calculated the stall torque of a MY6812 running at 12v 14.5A to be 2.5nm, would you think the FFB would feel much better than T150 2NM or should I go the belt driven route instead of Direct drive. I don't want to use more than 200W or 250W for the wheel as electricity cost are high in my country, with low salary. What do you think I should do?

My Calculations based off motor specs
    Resistance
    R = V / I (where I is the maximum current of 14.5A)

R = 12 / 14.5

R = 0.83 Ohms

Torque constant (Kt)

Kt = (60 x 2 x π x efficiency x unloaded speed) / (V x I where I is the unloaded current)

Kt = (60 x 2 x 3.14 x 0.78 x 3350) / (12 x 1.2)

Kt = 0.174 Nm/A

Stall torque
    TS = (V / R) x Kt

TS = (12 / 0.83) x 0.174

TS = 2.54 Nm

Here's the motor I used in the calculated
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/154307993593
  15. Abishek Y

Abishek Y New Member

Balance:
    65Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor
    Hello I use mitsumi M25N-2R-14 2241 encoder with motor I can able to turn middle to left and left to middle but not able to turn right side
  16. elnino

elnino Active Member

Computer Geek
    Balance:
    1,458Coins
    Ratings:
    +136 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    How is that anywhere near enough information for anyone to be able to help?
    Controller board:
    Firmware:
    Wiring (pictures)
    Why use this motor?
    What is it normally used in?

Perhaps the origin of this motor causes it to have a 'home limit'?

I would start by going 1 full turn left, then use the Z button to zero the wheel, then see if it will turn right. I'd be suspecting that the motor encoder has some extra smarts.
  17. Abishek Y

Abishek Y New Member

Balance:
    65Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor

Controller board:Arduino leonardo pro micro
    Firmware:RFR wheel config
    Wiring (pictures):I use the same wiring given above
    Why use this motor?it is cheap
    What is it normally used in? Printer
  18. elnino

elnino Active Member

Computer Geek
    Balance:
    1,458Coins
    Ratings:
    +136 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    So is there any evidence of anyone else using this motor/encoder combo unit for a wheel?
    Have you tried any other code on the arduino to test the encoder output? (I can help if you don't know how)

I specifically asked for pictures of the wiring because so many times it has been the wiring that is the issue.

I'm also finding conflicting information for this motors pinout relating to the encoder. Are you sure you have it right? I also noticed that this is only a 10W motor, it's not likely to be much use for this application.

Did you try my suggestion?

If you want other people to help, you need to help them help you by providing complete and full information.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: May 16, 2023
  19. Abishek Y

Abishek Y New Member

Balance:
    65Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor

A YouTuber make a ffb steering using this motor encoder

Please help me to test the encoder with other Arduino code