1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

DIY FFB Steering wheel (MMosFFB ) (In Progress)

Discussion in 'DIY peripherals' started by Alexey, Dec 10, 2015.

1. Sieben

Sieben Active Member

Balance:
    2,216Coins
    Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -0
    Does it help? In aiwave and emc on leonardo, it should had an effect. Don't bother what it did though)
  2. Sel The Don

Sel The Don New Member

International Sales and Relations
    Balance:
    265Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    It seems to have an effect although it's very little. the wheel doesn't feel as notchy now, a little smoother.

I've messaged Ebolz to see if there is any documentation with regards to his software, hopefully there's something so I can figure out which slider does what.
  3. Sieben

Sieben Active Member

Balance:
    2,216Coins
    Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -0
    It should not make it smooth. It's smth else.
  4. Sel The Don

Sel The Don New Member

Balance:
    265Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I don't know then, it felt smoother but obviously it's subjective.
  5. Kotoshka

Kotoshka New Member

Balance:
    80Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Arduino
    Hello friend, I was reading the forum and I want to assemble the ffb steering wheel but my problem is that I am using Arduino Pro micro and I find that it does not have pin 11, you can share the files that you used to program your pro micro? I appreciate the support!
  6. Kotoshka

Kotoshka New Member

Balance:
    80Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Arduino
    how can I achieve this using a pro micro?
  7. Francisc

Francisc New Member

Balance:
    90Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino
    What do you mean no resistor on the power line?
    I have the same left drift, I switched the stm board but the problem persisted.
  8. Sieben

Sieben Active Member

Balance:
    2,216Coins
    Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -0
    i.m. not to put any resistors on the encoder power supply 5-24v
  9. Francisc

Francisc New Member

Balance:
    90Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino
    But the resistors from A/B and Z channels still need to be connected to the 5v wire, right?

I had this problem with another stm board. I got a new one and the problem persisted
    In the photo I put how I wired the encoder to the stm32 board. I really don't know what I did wrong. Sometimes it's working just fine, no problem at all, and sometimes there is a lot of drift to the right.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 7, 2021
  10. Sieben

Sieben Active Member

Balance:
    2,216Coins
    Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -0
    Wrong connection. Remove resistors between signal wires to stm . Resistors shall be connected from vcc to signal pins of abz channel's. Not in between signal lines. U should put vcc through resistors to signal pins only.
  11. Sel The Don

Sel The Don New Member

Balance:
    265Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Wire the STM, encoder and resistors like the photo I have attached. Ignore the 3.3v feed, the Omron needs 5 volts to work.

IMPORTANT! use 2k resistors instead of 1k.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  12. Francisc

Francisc New Member

Balance:
    90Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino
    [​IMG]
    I redid the wiring, bought a DC/DC convertor and now the encoder power is not connected to the stm32
    Now, if I connect the psu to the plug, I can only turn left and the encoder goes crazy. I'm using cytron https://www.cytron.io/p-20amp-6v-30v-dc-motor-driver as the motor driver

Attached Files:

13. Sieben

Sieben Active Member

Balance:
    2,216Coins
    Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -0
    Plug encoder to the stm 5volts supply. It should work no problem. The step downs can bring alot of noise. And if you put external power supply to encoder, it's GND's should be tight together with a rest of stuff GND's too. Otherwise it won't work. And don't connect the vcc pins of external power and stm then too. It's totally wrong. Only GND's.
  14. Sel The Don

Sel The Don New Member

Balance:
    265Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I'm using a DC/DC converter powering the encoder and signals with no issues, yes the GND is tied to the DC/DC.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Sieben

Sieben Active Member

Balance:
    2,216Coins
    Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -0
    Yes, but just advised for any case)
  16. Rintje

Rintje New Member

Balance:
    17Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hey guys, i read the whole topic and i got to say, amazing project you got here! I also would like to experiment making my own FFB wheel, what is the best place to start at?
  17. Rustler One

Rustler One New Member

Balance:
    25Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hey all, been putting together a bunch of diy hardware and whatnot and had some questions. At the moment I can't have the motor I bought for a DD setup shipped out cause there's problems with shipping currently so was wondering if I could do something like this with a spare dead TX I had laying around. While back I got a few dead TX bases for cheap, used the parts to repair one and sold it, but still have the housing, motor, and psu of one around. The board and hall sensor were dead lol. So using the motor, maybe the psu, an stm32f4 discovery, and something like a bts 7960 I had laying around from something else (forget if that's exactly what it is lol), could I do something similar with this? Just not really sure on the wiring of this motor, and would have to source an encoder. Mostly just thinking of this out of interest, cause while I wait I kinda do already have most of this and could use it in the mean time if possible.
  18. Francisc

Francisc New Member

Balance:
    90Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino
    The problems are back. I stopped playing for about 2 weeks, now when i got in, the drifting appeared again. What I could troubleshoot was that if I set the FFb to about 20%, there is no drifting, but when I set the ffb to a level I can fell it, about 70%, there is drifting to the left again.
    I have switched the resistors, I put 2k resistors, from 2.1k, still the same. Could the motor being about 5-6 cm from the encoder and the stm32 board be the problem?
    This is with a new stm32board, because I thought there was something wrong with it.

LE: If i just open the EMC software, an move the wheel from left to right, no matter how fast or how much i move the wheel, it always stays centered. If I open just the wheelcheck app and set it to simple spring and try to move the wheel, the drifting appears. And it's always drifting to the left. Would a video help for troubleshooting?
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2022
  19. Sel The Don

Sel The Don New Member

Balance:
    265Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Which motor drive type are you using?
    2PWM, PWM/DIR etc?
  20. Sel The Don

Sel The Don New Member

Balance:
    265Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Still having issues with my wheel when trying to drift, as I'm sliding the car the wheel doesn't turn in the opposite direction the car is sliding - it just turns really slow.

I'm using 2PWM mode in the EMC software as the others don't work properly.

What settings is everyone using in Assetto Corsa?