1. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  2. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  3. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

DIY FFB Steering wheel (MMosFFB ) (In Progress)

Discussion in 'DIY peripherals' started by Alexey, Dec 10, 2015.

1. Map63Vette

Map63Vette Member

Mechanical Engineer
    Balance:
    500Coins
    Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    Hmm, that's tempting. Is there any reason for only running the 12V power supply though with a 48V motor? I realize that voltage is more about speed than torque, but they aren't exactly completely discrete from each other.

Also, from looking at those motor drivers, do you just run them in parallel for increased current capability?
  2. elnino

elnino Active Member

Computer Geek
    Balance:
    884Coins
    Ratings:
    +70 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    The motor is rated at 1000W, but that is when it is moving. Since we are stalling the motor, all that energy has to be lost as heat rather than rotational energy. The motor is designed to withstand a certain loss to thermal energy but not 100%. Therefore you run the motor at what would be normal for heat related loss and have (almost) no rotational energy.
  3. Map63Vette

Map63Vette Member

Mechanical Engineer
    Balance:
    500Coins
    Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    Ah, very interesting. I'm assuming you could run it harder with some better cooling like a clamp on heatsink and fan, though I guess the problem is getting the heat from the windings out to the case to start with.
  4. elnino

elnino Active Member

Computer Geek
    Balance:
    884Coins
    Ratings:
    +70 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    To an extent, yes you can use a fan to help with it but it's only going to make so much difference before the enamel bakes of the windings and creates a short, it's all downhill from there.

Mine is mounted with a fan that pulls air into the motor. After a race, it's warm to touch on slightly light FFB settings.
  5. Map63Vette

Map63Vette Member

Mechanical Engineer
    Balance:
    500Coins
    Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    Something isn't adding up to me. That motor only appears to be rated to 3 Nm or so (power numbers are all over the place, but from unitemotor.com at least they only go up to 750W, which has the 3 Nm torque rating: http://www.unitemotor.com/index.php/Home/Index/product_detail/id/172/page/1. Granted they also list 4 voltage ratings, but only 3 different power/torque ratings, so who knows. Are you running direct drive or belt/gear? My T300 theoretically has that much available already, so aside from being direct drive I'm not sure it would quite be what I'm looking for.

I'm not necessarily going for a "break your wrist" kind of force as much as I'd just like to get to a full size steering wheel with good feedback. The game controllers are all more like kart sized wheels, which "artificially" increases the force, but at the cost of my hands not quite feeling like they are in the right spot.
  6. juanpro91

juanpro91 New Member

Balance:
    96Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor
    Hello friends!
    Again turning to you for help.
    I already have everything configured, I have tested the steering wheel and it works fine ... but the problem is that the bts7960 driver burns easily.
    What can i do to fix it?

Attached Files:

7. juanpro91

juanpro91 New Member

Balance:
    96Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor