1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

DIY Console Motion Simulator

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by the2jakes, Oct 20, 2009.

1. Alejandro Escalante

Alejandro Escalante New Member

Balance:
    205Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Do you connect the signal of force-feed back motors ? just 1/0? or do you get the PWM? i think thats the solution to your excessive force
  2. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    @Glam78 , I dont see anything on that page with regards to they are being controller by a console.
    I can only see PC there.
    In regards to consoles and using them for motion, there are HUGE licencing fees to pay for to get the data from the console makers and to translate that into motion.
    It could be done privately if you find a way to hack the data from the console game and then run it through a computer, but it would have to be kept quiet.
    Ive heard rumors that console people find such simulators at shows and things and tend to speak harshly to the owner and demand to know how they did it.
  3. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ok then.
    I dont know the method on how they get motion, @yobuddy , do you have any idea?
  4. yobuddy

yobuddy Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator SimAxe Beta Tester SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

Computer Technician
    Balance:
    48,172Coins
    Ratings:
    +5,037 / 16 / -0
    I can only guess, but I bet they are taping into the force feedback signals from a joystick or something.
    Which is a rather lack luster way of doing it I think.

All we really need is a tiny app that runs on the console that collects the data we need and then sent it to the Game Engine PC.
    I have not looked at anything Sony for years, does it allow for Indy apps to be run on the console?

yobuddy
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    they allow indy (independant) game releases on their consoles, but I suspect at a cost.
  6. ferslash

ferslash Active Member

Balance:
    4,798Coins
    Ratings:
    +181 / 2 / -0
    a pirate way of doing this, (i dont know if it is a good idea, considering the time invested) would be contact the guys that program the console emulators... and maybe they could do some trick... but again, it would be piracy anyway :(
  7. ferslash

ferslash Active Member

Balance:
    4,798Coins
    Ratings:
    +181 / 2 / -0
    i mean piracy because as far as i know, in order to get data out of the game you need to pay a licence. :(

of course, if you do it just for yourselve nobody will know D:
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Id say if simtools guys havent done it yet, its probably not going to happen in a hurry.
    Buy a decent PC and get on with it
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. stealth_snake

stealth_snake New Member

web and application Developer
    Balance:
    336Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I love the idea of been able to have motion simulation on console game.

How about having some sort of adapter that duplicate the USB signals, the extra USB is attached to PC and using the wheel driver to get user input and maybe read forceback value???
  10. RolfGro

RolfGro New Member

Balance:
    233Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor
    Hello friend pretty old thread and hope you have completed the project successfully.. Even I am working on similar project so can you help me out? Hope you will reply soon..
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2014
  11. mehrdad

mehrdad New Member

Balance:
    131Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, DC motor, AC motor, SCN5, SCN6, SimAxe, Arduino, JRK, Joyrider, SimforceGT, Motion platform, 4DOF, 6DOF
    hi
    can you share structure drawing ?
    is there more mechanical information such as force and momentum required for specific angular velocity and acceleration ?
    tnx
  12. the2jakes

the2jakes Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    125Coins
    Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, 4DOF
    Hi guys, it's been a long time since I created this topic.
    Since, I created my racing rig. (PS4, T300RS+T3PA, BassPumps (like Buttkicker), Video projector, curved screen, wind blowing turbine, ...), BUT it's still STATIC.
    simu03.jpg simu01.jpg simu02.jpg

Added PSVR these last years (video: ).

I now really wanna make it dynamic. I'm sticking to console heart (Playstation 4), and I don't want any PC in the equation.

I need your help guys on this: I want to make this Dynamic addon as simple as possible:
    - 2 DOF
    - 2 potentiometers (1 on the Brake/Gas pedals, and 1 on the Wheel axle), that will give front/rear & left/right positions for the platform. (I uploaded a simple drawing of it).
    simu04.jpg

What I'm searching for is:
    - An electronic board that can take as an input 2 potentiometers, and as an output control 2 powerfull motors. (would be nice to be able to adjust the sensitivity of the input, and the speed at which the motors reach there destination position - don't what the motors to react too quickly to potentiometer position changes.
    If the board can multiplex the 2 potentiometer input to control motors that would be behind the seat, like most of your setup guys) it would be even better than controlling each motor sperately. I don't know if there is an electronic board "of the shelf" that can handle that, or if I need to go Arduino + some program ?

- 2 powerfull motors (Rig will be on a central pivot, under the seat position, and it allready heavy without the pilot installed).
    - AC/DC power source

I know this is very basic, but that's the way I've been creating working things for decades now, and again this is for console compatibility, without a PC.

Hope you'll be able to help me on this, finding the right hardware.

Regards,
    The2jakes