1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

DIY analog servo car instruments

Discussion in 'DIY peripherals' started by tronicgr, Apr 5, 2008.

1. tronicgr

tronicgr

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi,

Some progress I made by designing a simple layout for the 7segment digits drivers. As you can see the circuit consists of two I2C slaves and several smaller boards that hosts the LED drivers in stacks!!!! You cannot possible imagine how all this fit together unless you see it constructed! I could not find myself an easier way to avoid extra miles of cabling!!!! :lol:

Thanos_I2C_7SEG_display_full_100x160.jpg.gif

Thanos_I2C_7SEG_display_full_100x160.pdf

I'll try to make a double-sided version of it to avoid more cables running around...

Regards, Thanos
  2. monast

monast New Member

Mechanical Engineer Consultant Industrial Automati
    Balance:
    359Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi Thanos I thought you had forgotten about me!!!!! Good year 2009 for you!!!

I am very grateful for your work and I am impatient because I have the mechanics in motion and then come the electronic-rpm and leds that you are doing. Did you seen my progress with the prototype in Youtube (monast69)? Let me give my thanks to you in the next edition of the video.

Best Regards and great year for X-Simmers
    Monast
  3. sSnake

sSnake New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi, Adonff ,your instrument seems cool!
    I'm also making an outgauge, but not with AVR, I'm using 52MCU
    (this is a video of a lab mod, but you may meet slow loading due to the network:http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XOTgwNzk0Mjg=.html )
    You've mentioned that you'll going to try that on GTR2, whould you please share some exp about getting the racing data from GTR2? I'm totally confused about to get data from games other than LFS
    very appreciated iv you can help me. :)
  4. tronicgr

tronicgr

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Hi

I get all the data from any game by using the x-sim2 software (Profiler2). I assign some output axis data from each game's variables like tacho, rpm, fuel, with any desired resolution that can be 8bit, 10bit or even 16bit per axis.

Note that I'm referring to each item output as axis cause the x-sim is primly used to move motion axis, yet we can use these axis data to represent other functions like move a gauge meter, move a vibration motor, or light leds and 7segment panels.

Now, to extract each axis data from the X-sim2 Profiler2, I use the USO output module that can sent in a user defined format each data of the axis information (or gauge, or 7segment etc) to the computer's serial port. All you have to do then is to program your microcontroller to read these serial data and process them to certain functions, like moving servos, light leds, display 7segment numbers etc.

:Einstein:

Regards Thanos
  5. kikie

kikie New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Question:

How do I have to connect R/C servos to a soundcard?

I have a 5.1 soundcard and would like to experiment with gauges but I don't know how/where to connect the servos to the soundcard. And what part of the x-sim software do I have to use?

Thanks

kikie (Chris)
  6. Senetor

Senetor Member

Balance:
    594Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
  7. kikie

kikie New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks but I've been looking at sirnoname's wiki page before posting my question but it doesn't say much.
  8. mrhorsepower

mrhorsepower New Member

Balance:
    1Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  9. ne02005

ne02005 Member

Balance:
    105Coins
    Ratings:
    +29 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    Hey thanos what about the schematic or circuit board for the Gauges bcd displays?

thanks
  10. tronicgr

tronicgr

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I had to push back this project for a while. Will make it available some time. Just have to put together all pieces!
  11. ne02005

ne02005 Member

Balance:
    105Coins
    Ratings:
    +29 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    Hi Thanos again, I understand you, you'll be very busy...

I only have one question about it...

I have a Simforce GT with yout AMC 1.5 and Hbridge, working PERFECT!!!

My string configuration is:

AB~255~~a01~~a02~

BUT, If I connect a servo on port servo #1,2,or 3 and nothing happens!, may I modified that string?
    How I configure Force Profiler to send data to the servo output from you AMC card?
    Where configure the min. and max setting for servo movement?

I was looking around in x-sim forum but I did't found anything about it...

Thanks a lot from Argentina!!!

I hope you can help me
  12. tronicgr

tronicgr

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    There is no such option on the Firmware1.0 to use both PWM outputs and Servo ports at the same time. These servo ports are disabled right now. Was planning using them later somehow.

I posted long time ago a firmware that drives 6 servos from these 4 servo ports + 2 ADC ports as servo. This was used to drive the small 6DOF model platform...

But the firmware I used here to drive the instruments and the digital display is different.

Thanos
  13. Frakk

Frakk Active Member

Balance:
    328Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    ne02005: I'm working on just what you need. 8 servo channels controlled by x-sim. I don't know if I will be able to make the firmware and the AMC hardware work together, but I will try. Worse comes to worse the AMC has to be modified just a bit, or put it on a perfboard.

I have to make the 8 servo channels to be on the same port and I have to figure out the simplest way to set the endpoints of the servos. This could be with an encoder/lcd combination, or just 3 pushbuttons with an LED.
  14. ne02005

ne02005 Member

Balance:
    105Coins
    Ratings:
    +29 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    Perfect!
    I'm using AMc 1.5 to control de motion seat and the Xtremeracers XRDisplay by Gabony and Nye and is beautifull, 3 servo outputs, 15 rpm leds, speed displays, laps, and a lot more things.. Ahhh It's USB connection!!!!!!!!!
    I would like to use only thanos card... but he said that not working servo outputs, because the firmware he didn't wrote.. :blush:
  15. ne02005

ne02005 Member

Balance:
    105Coins
    Ratings:
    +29 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    Thanos, the only way to had a amc with 2 wiper motors working and 4 servo for instruments are with two amc cards? i need a diferent firmware?
    Thanks
  16. Frakk

Frakk Active Member

Balance:
    328Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    You will need a different firmware that controls 6 axis, 2 DC proportional and 4 servo. I don't know if Thanos is going to make one in the near future.