1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Tutorial DIY 3D printed Sim Racing Hydraulic pedals SRT

Discussion in 'DIY peripherals' started by Lebois, Jan 26, 2020.

1. Megator

Megator New Member

Balance:
    42Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    A fluid includes a liquid and a gas ;)

However liquids are also compressible, one only needs to use google to find out.

https://www.engineersedge.com/fluid_flow/compressibility.htm

As it says there the amount of compression is very small, but it is different for different liquids and will have a noticeable effect (at least in an actual car).

https://trackparts.ch/Rennbremsfluessigkeit-Test-Endless-RBF650-Castrol-SRF-Motul-RB600-ATE-Typ200

or check this out under the heading "compressability"

http://www.torquebrakefluid.com/abc.html

Lebois thanks for the info I will buy the ali express master cylinder and see. I agree that pedal feel will mainly depend on air in the system, then flex in the system and fluid used. I would always use an oil though for the anti-corrosion properties.

BTW one "issue" I would consider in your designs is how to bleed the pedal system. The MC should always be above the bleed points. The tilt of the MC also means that some air may be trapped in it. The MC should be horizontal (or the rear higher) so that no air gets trapped between the piston and outlet.
  2. Sieben

Sieben Active Member

Balance:
    2,216Coins
    Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -0
    This is not the compression amount that you would feel on the "pedal travel". It can be neglected....
  3. 7HUND3R

7HUND3R Active Member

Balance:
    1,159Coins
    Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Arduino
    Thank you lebois for exposing the work. I got a 0.625 master cylinder today. I have asked for a smaller diameter just to test. I like to try. Now I have to print the bearing of the master cylinder to be able to fix the master cylinder.

On the other hand I am attaching images of the cylinder and the rumble motors that I install on the pedals. The cables remain to be sheathed.

Attached Files:

4. 7HUND3R

7HUND3R Active Member

Balance:
    1,159Coins
    Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Arduino

I think that the diameter of the master and slave cylinders is what matters the most. The bleeding also but not so much since after all they are only a few centimeters of tube so there is no difficulty for bleeding. It is not like in a real car that there are meters of tube and 4 brake calipers. I have a kit for filling the brake systems and I already mentioned it to you, with a motorcycle master cylinder, the slave cylinder cannot barely move despite having bled the system perfectly.
  5. 7HUND3R

7HUND3R Active Member

Balance:
    1,159Coins
    Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Arduino
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
  6. 7HUND3R

7HUND3R Active Member

Balance:
    1,159Coins
    Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Arduino
    The I have changed the master cylinder to the brake, tenworm one of moto and I have put a car one. I need to put a 4-piston brake caliper.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  7. 7HUND3R

7HUND3R Active Member

Balance:
    1,159Coins
    Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Arduino
    I already have them in place. it has an incredible touch.

Attached Files:

8. 7HUND3R

7HUND3R Active Member

Balance:
    1,159Coins
    Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Arduino
  9. Lebois

Lebois (maybe I am wrong, but who knows...)

Math teacher
    Balance:
    2,544Coins
    Ratings:
    +206 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    Hi ! 7HUND3R. I took a look at your links. You can use them, but you won't get benefits... These parts are only useful in reality, not in simracing.
    Can I post your pedals on my website ?
  10. 7HUND3R

7HUND3R Active Member

Balance:
    1,159Coins
    Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Arduino
    Ok lebois. Yes, you can publish the pedals on your website.
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. 7HUND3R

7HUND3R Active Member

Balance:
    1,159Coins
    Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Arduino
    I got the 4 piston caliper, it is dark gray. I have designed a kind of clamp in 3d to hold the clamp on the pedal board.

I already assembled the 4-piston caliper and here is a video showing how it performs when pressing the pedal. Nor do I notice differences in the pedal compared to the 1-piston inza. I think the difference is noticeable if you put a slave cylinder or a brake caliper or if you bleed the system well. The 1 or 2 or 4 piston caliper is fine for in real life, here if you notice differences since the caliper is made to brake and not to improve the feel. I think a slave cylinder would be better, it gives more play, you can adjust the hardness of the pedal.

The part printed 3d with PLA and 30% that holds the clamp I think it supports the cladding well.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2020
  12. ibohan00

ibohan00 New Member

Engineer
    Balance:
    102Coins
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Amazing job Lebois! I'm going to start ordering parts soon. I've got a 3D printer coming in the mail, but I might redesign the printed parts to make them on my CNC. I think I might be the only person to have a CNC and not a 3D printer o_O
    I pieced out the parts and I think I can get it below 100 USD if I use the 2-piston MC combo you suggested on your website. The company that sells the 3/8 banjo also sells an M10 banjo.
    Where have you guys been finding the MC resevoirs? After about 20 minutes of googling I was only able to find the cheap looking plastic ones.

Also, about how much force do you think you're applying to the pedal? By my math the 1000 psi sensor maxes out at about 44kg, which doesn't seem like very much at all. My goal is to simulate an F1 pedal, which is around 120 kg.
  13. 7HUND3R

7HUND3R Active Member

Balance:
    1,159Coins
    Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Arduino
    If the clamp is attached to the base of the pedals. It is very safe.

Attached Files:

14. ibohan00

ibohan00 New Member

Engineer
    Balance:
    102Coins
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I just ordered the aluminum. Should arrive on next week. It'll be a race to see if it arrives before the 3D printer.
    I'll likely wait until I receive the MC and measure it before making a holder.

Attached Files:

15. Lebois

Math teacher
    Balance:
    2,544Coins
    Ratings:
    +206 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
  16. 7HUND3R

7HUND3R Active Member

Balance:
    1,159Coins
    Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Arduino
    I have made a bad and fast drawing xD to show that that part should be edited and made bigger. The master cylinder shaft touches that area when the pedal is fully depressed.

I tried to do something myself with sketchup8 but I have not achieved anything.

Attached Files:

17. Lebois

Math teacher
    Balance:
    2,544Coins
    Ratings:
    +206 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    Hi ! It's not meant to go that far, you don't have any resistance...
  18. 7HUND3R

7HUND3R Active Member

Balance:
    1,159Coins
    Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Arduino
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Lebois

Math teacher
    Balance:
    2,544Coins
    Ratings:
    +206 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    ok @7HUND3R I will address this issue soon. Still working on the gearbox for the moment :
    [​IMG]
    • Like Like x 1
  20. 7HUND3R

7HUND3R Active Member

Balance:
    1,159Coins
    Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Arduino

Very good quality is seen in the printing pieces.
    • Like Like x 1