1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Showroom DIY 2DOF MOTION RIG (WIP)

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by Davis Palmer, May 23, 2024.

Tags:
  1. Davis Palmer

Davis Palmer New Member

Balance:
    11Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    As of 5/22/24 we just finished the base frame without steering wheel or motor support yet.

We have tried it where someone sits on it and the other person moves the seat around and it feels super crazy. We are super happy to have made it this far with no major problems. We chose to go with a car seat because it was cheap and adjustable both distance from the pedals & steering wheel.

What follows is a super high level of the steps we took to get this:

upload_2024-5-22_23-57-21.png
    upload_2024-5-22_23-57-49.png

Before anything we designed everything in SolidWorks to make sure our design was feasible of course.

First, we collected our steel: 20' 1.5" 14ga for our top frame, 24' 1.25" 14ga for our bottom frame, drive shaft from F-250 Super Duty for the universal joint, seat from a Lambo, various fasteners, and 2 steel purlin clips to connect the drive shaft to the bottom and top frame.
    upload_2024-5-23_0-1-44.png

With our material, we then bought the cheapest angle grinder we could find $15 and cut all the steel and welded it together.
    upload_2024-5-23_0-4-43.png
    upload_2024-5-23_0-5-27.png
    upload_2024-5-23_0-6-53.png
    Welding the drive shaft after further cutting it down (sorry for bad photo quality):
    upload_2024-5-23_0-2-58.png upload_2024-5-23_0-7-26.png

Excuse the bad looking weld we stacked 4 beads and one of the passes was super quick.

We are still looking for motors and gear steppers (<$200 preferably if you have any suggestions), and I will add to this post next time we make significant progress on the build, should be around August or September of this year.

Right now I was eyeing some AmpFlow $49 motors on Amazon along with some $50 worm gear boxes ($19 on Alibaba, but extremely inconvenient to ship, I may place an order in now though). With these the Sabertooth 2x32 Driver with an Arduino.
  2. Attyla.pl

Attyla.pl Member

Balance:
    316Coins
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino
  3. sci666

sci666 Active Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    1,128Coins
    Ratings:
    +66 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
    good lookings welding is overrated ;D my joints look also terrible but they work and a good sander helps afterwards :D