1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Dirt bike arcade retrofit

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by cruzebabuze, Mar 10, 2017.

1. ferslash

ferslash Active Member

Balance:
    4,798Coins
    Ratings:
    +181 / 2 / -0
    @cruzebabuze

Ok, i was reading further and i send a message to @speedy, and i can tell you some things:

1. he told me that his card to connect arduino to ac motors is not complicated at all
    2. he told me that to make the card you can spend around $150 usdlls (not expensive at all i guess)
    3. he is super kind and as i can see willing to help
    4. maybe you could ask him to make you a board

if you consider the price of new motors + controler boar to the motors + power source

maybe using a speedy card could be a good idea, and you could use your super power motors that apears to be monster size (compared to the 12v motors)

best regards

fer
    • Like Like x 1
  2. ferslash

ferslash Active Member

Balance:
    4,798Coins
    Ratings:
    +181 / 2 / -0
    man, publish a pic of your whole sim :D (i have never seen a dirthbike simulator)

best regards
    • Like Like x 1
  3. cruzebabuze

cruzebabuze Active Member

Balance:
    135Coins
    Ratings:
    +41 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    thanx for links, but i have to agree with you too complicated and expensive, i have an old club car golf cart motor that fits real well, same shaft diameter and it fits into the sim. i am going to try it this weekend and if it works i will just buy another one used of the same kind.
  4. cruzebabuze

Balance:
    135Coins
    Ratings:
    +41 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    here is a pic, it is a quad dirt bike and has 2 motors
    [​IMG]
    • Like Like x 1
  5. ferslash

ferslash Active Member

Balance:
    4,798Coins
    Ratings:
    +181 / 2 / -0
    a real beauty :D

did it came with a monitor and a stand for the monitor???

-- just a last question... (i was reading about ac motors, and as long as i undertand, your original sim should had a vfd motor countroler... it is something like this picture??:

[​IMG]
    (the box) or just a bunch of confused cards and wires?

- just curious

best regards

fer
    • Like Like x 1
  6. cruzebabuze

Balance:
    135Coins
    Ratings:
    +41 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Yes it does come with them, mine have green covers and are digital instead of analog control. the thing is i do not know if they are good and i am very particular with death, i want it to happen later rather than sooner, lmao at myself, and messing with that type of voltage can get you kill. so I was more looking for replacement motors. it should not be too hard to find.
    • Funny Funny x 2
  7. cruzebabuze

Balance:
    135Coins
    Ratings:
    +41 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    thank you for all your help:) i do have cabinet with monitor but i am throwing it away for free, i have not use for it
  8. speedy

speedy Well-Known Member

Balance:
    7,918Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,285 / 10 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, AC motor, Arduino, Motion platform
    @cruzebabuze ...
    Don't worry so much as they are safe for such arcade machine ... and for inverter digital configuration they are easier than the Idiot Phone :grin:grin .

I just need to inform you that when replacing motors in any application you search FIRST :nerd by the equivalent motor Horsepower ... even if you're going to use different operating voltage or current ... you need the same performance after all .

By selecting big DC motors like 300-400W or more you'll find them very very expensive like the "Car Starter Motor " where in best cases does not withstand 5 minutes operation with a lot of problems due to size + a very high price equivalent powerful motion controller is needed + Big Amps. DC power supply unit is needed ...
    So in general life big applications ... going beyond 1/2HP DC motors is not recommended at all .

This is where AC single phase OR 3-phase motors takes place ... powerful and economical in all cases :thumbs.
    Both supply connection can be speed controlled easily ... but the single phase motor does not reverse its direction electrically " you have to change the brushes angle to go reverse " ...

An AC 3-phase have both options flawlessly :thumbs ... and by using a VFD "Variable Frequency Drive " [the green one you have] you can control the speed and direction easily from a computer/control unit .

Just take your time to absorb the new information and you'll find it very easy to go with .
    Ask for any details if you need ...

Edit : please post the VFD's model No. and if it came with any extra control boards and sensors ... Full details to see what you've got there .
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
  9. cruzebabuze

Balance:
    135Coins
    Ratings:
    +41 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Thank you for your help and I do agree with you, let me know what I need to do to make it work with original motors. [​IMG]
  10. cruzebabuze

Balance:
    135Coins
    Ratings:
    +41 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    [​IMG]
    Sorry pic did not work, [​IMG]
  11. ferslash

ferslash Active Member

Balance:
    4,798Coins
    Ratings:
    +181 / 2 / -0
    @cruzebabuze @speedy

-- woow, what a grate bunch of people are in this community, if i go to heaven, after having a music jam with Bach and Mozart with my electric guitar... for shure i want to take a beer with the guys of this forum :D :thumbs:cheers

- dont want to put useless info here but i have a question to @speedy...

- can we connect a AC 3-phase to a 110v american power outlet (the one we have in our homes-? or you have to go for an industrial instalation? (3-phase sound like a lot of voltage, is it?
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  12. speedy

speedy Well-Known Member

Balance:
    7,918Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,285 / 10 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Very interesting @cruzebabuze :thumbs ... But where are the rest of sensors and control/Game boards ?
    Let me see them to confirm if the Arduino will be easily connected .

- The first photo looks like a power supply board ... you may need it if it is working or you will use additional PSU .
    Just give me a clear photo for its up and down sides to get you where the outputs/input and the switches are .

- The second photo is the VFD Commander SE ... and I guess from the sticker size it is one of the Frame 1 single phase 200-240V input ... and looking back to the posted 0.57kW motor photo ...
    So the model should be this one ... SE11200075 .
    cmdr_se.jpg controltechniquescommanderse.jpg
    Here is the Command SE user manual ...
    http://www.emersonindustrial.com/en-EN/documentcenter/ControlTechniques/PDF/catalog/COMMSE.pdf
    Here is the advanced user manual ...
    http://www.realimpeks.co.rs/download/emerson_commander_se.pdf
    You are going to use the analog control if you are not already using it ...

How many motors are there ?
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
  13. speedy

speedy Well-Known Member

Balance:
    7,918Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,285 / 10 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    For a quick answer the minimum is 220-230V supply line for any VFD up to 1.5-2HP depends on the manufacturer ... more than 3HP a 3-phase supply line is a must .

Where to get 220v at home in the US :
    For the american power lines ... I need to inform you @ferslash that you are already working on a 220-230V power grid ...
    The issue is there is a step-down transformer in front of each home "I guess" .. to reduce the voltage and give 2 110V lines in the distribution service panel ...
    step-down-transformer5.png
    If you don't know how to get an outlet with a 220V 30A at home ... you must hire an electrician Or you'll go straight to Heaven :p .
    http://www.heatzone.ca/tutorial-view/basics-of-homes-electrical-system/
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
  14. cruzebabuze

Balance:
    135Coins
    Ratings:
    +41 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    I just have also the game CPU and board, but I do not want to use it, I am putting the sim ware from this site. I will be taking a photo in a few min and post it. There are 2 motors connected to a gearbox that is slow for sure. I hooked a harbor freight winch to it and it was way but way to slow. I did not see any sensors beside the potentiometer on each gearbox. But let me check again.The only thing left is a big ass transformer that probably transform 110 into 220v.
  15. cruzebabuze

Balance:
    135Coins
    Ratings:
    +41 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
  16. cruzebabuze

Balance:
    135Coins
    Ratings:
    +41 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Exactly why I am scared of using the 220v setup. I am from Europe but live in the USA and I know what 220v can do to you. I have a 220v already at my house in the USA for a car lift for my formula race car.
  17. cruzebabuze

Balance:
    135Coins
    Ratings:
    +41 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  18. cruzebabuze

Balance:
    135Coins
    Ratings:
    +41 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    There are no other sensors or board beside monitor and big power converter. There are 2 motors with a gear box. The gear box has a potentiometer attached to it. There are a few buttons and the lever cable and throttle cables. That is it, nothing else
  19. cruzebabuze

Balance:
    135Coins
    Ratings:
    +41 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    And the CPU game board.
  20. bodgy

bodgy Member

Balance:
    86Coins
    Ratings:
    +53 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, Motion platform
    Wow, $150! Just searched for broken arcade machines in Australia and I can't find anything under AUD$500 (Around US$350).