1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Difference between yaw and traction loss

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Oms, Feb 9, 2018.

1. Oms

Oms known as "Doc6dof"

Balance:
    - 173Coins
    Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, AC motor, Arduino, Motion platform
    Hello everybody,
    could one you explain me what is the difference between yaw and traction loss (or give me a post where I can have information). Indeed for me that seems to be exactly the same: a rotation around Z axes !
    (I am currently building a simulator, and I would like to have traction loss)
    thank you
  2. Bord-Ing.

Bord-Ing. New Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    370Coins
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Yes, both are in deed rotations around a z axis. The difference is the position of this axis in x direction. At a slow trip through a curve (or heavy understeer) this position would be in the near of the back axle. Considering a race car (which should have no understeer), this position is somewhere in the back middle of the car. At this point your car slides over all 4 wheels through the curve and the steering angle is somewhat reduced compared to normal curve speed (tried this once with my 245 hp Subaru :D ).

Suddenly, because of some debris on the track, the rear tires have no grip at all => the rear of the car turns out of the trace and you do a cool drift. Z axis is in this case near the front axle.

So, to shorten this:
    • normal curve: Z axis is more behind the driver
    • traction loss (heavy oversteer): Z axis is in front of the driver, near his feet.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. Oms

Oms known as "Doc6dof"

Balance:
    - 173Coins
    Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    ok thanks, cristal clear explanation. On my current simulator building, the z axis is at the vertical of the knees, so not so bad to feel traction loss, I think I will let like that...
    If not enough I will buy a Subaru...
  4. yobuddy

yobuddy Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator SimAxe Beta Tester SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

Computer Technician
    Balance:
    48,163Coins
    Ratings:
    +5,036 / 16 / -0
    From the games standpoint, Yaw is the 'compass' heading you are traveling.
    Where Traction Loss if the difference in the 'compass' heading vs the way the vehicle is currently pointing.

Under normal conditions the 'compass' heading should be the same direction that the vehicle is pointing.
    If it's not, the rear has slid out and a traction loss has occurred.

Take care,
    yobuddy
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. Oms

Oms known as "Doc6dof"

Balance:
    - 173Coins
    Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    thank you for this complement of information.
    In anycase, I suppose inner ear & body are only sensitive to accelerations & forces...
  6. netshaman

netshaman New Member

Balance:
    202Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Don t forget to tell about the same phenomenon when you begin to drive in reverse gear and make a sudden drive wheel turn, so the traction loss occurs at front wheels and Z axis is located directly at rear wheels.
    • Like Like x 1