1. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Download Package Now!
  2. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  3. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant here. Do not following these rules will lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.

DD-Wheel with Hoverboard Motor

Discussion in 'Direct Drive Wheels' started by Benu, Jan 21, 2019.

1. BiT0

BiT0 New Member

Balance:
    19Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  2. BiT0

BiT0 New Member

Balance:
    19Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  3. BiT0

BiT0 New Member

Balance:
    19Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  4. danove_b

danove_b Member

Balance:
    895Coins
    Ratings:
    +30 / 1 / -0

All this controllers are useless in this kind of application. You need torque mode and for that you also need position feedback for the commutation.
  5. Benu

Benu Member

Balance:
    423Coins
    Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    I have no idea how strong 3D printed parts are. All I can say is that high speed corners and going over curbs puts the rig (and my hands) under a lot of stress while using 8 Nm.
    So far the wood/metal clamps I am using show no sign of fatigue.
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2019 at 10:17
  6. Benu

Benu Member

Balance:
    423Coins
    Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    Yes, I thought about that too. After considering price/value for my needs I opted for the hoverboard motor. Yes, a bike motor might work too. It depends on your needs and the motor spec. The controller is capable of 8-50V and 30A(peak).

Be aware, that in stall mode and with quick load changes (the controller pushes the wheel to the right, you are pushing into a left turn, then you hit the curbs which lets the controller alternate left/right very quickly) 30A are easily reached. I had to scale down from the possible 12 Nm (stall torque) to about 8 Nm in the above dynamic scenario to prevent activating over current protection. I am not sure how a higher W-rated motor will react in this situation.