1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

DD-Wheel with Hoverboard Motor

Discussion in 'Direct Drive Wheels' started by Benu, Jan 21, 2019.

1. felixnelsonsr

felixnelsonsr New Member

Balance:
    73Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Arduino
    I just collect enough money to buy the motor driver which one should I go for first option is Makerbase VESC 76$ second option is Odrive 3.5(the clone one) 60$ But I dont know how to do coding so i think VESC should be a better choice? I already have hoverboard motor laying around I have a plan to use it with STM32F407Vet6 and EMC firmware

Screenshot_1.jpg Screenshot_2.jpg
  2. marccohn

marccohn New Member

Balance:
    301Coins
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Arduino
    I have updated my DIY FFB Wheel to utilize the Odrive solution created by Roman. I purchased an ODESC from Sequre, and loaded the firmware using a st-link dongle. Board is powered with a 24v power supply with 13A max current limit. Encoder is 600 ppr mounted with a 2:1 gear ratio for a total of 4800 cpr with now index. Pedals and wheel buttons connect are connected via a STM Blue Pill board running FreeJoy.

I am very happy with the performance. Configuration was easy with the provided utility app. I was up and running in iRacing within minutes. Wheel is plenty strong and has good force is applied linearly. Low signal force feedback is felt without having to crank up the total power. Force is smooth with very little cogginess that was felt with my previous solution utilizing a hacked version of the original hoverboard controller, i attribute that to the use of the encoder instead of the hall sensors.

Thank you Roman, i will recommend this solution to others. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help continue to improve your project.

https://sequremall.com/collections/odesc/products/odesc-single-drive?variant=37821284155580
    https://github.com/FreeJoy-Team/FreeJoy
  3. Roman Smoliakov

Roman Smoliakov New Member

Balance:
    155Coins
    Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    Thank you for your feedback. I work on futher improvements and extended features of it. So soon it will be even better :)
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Wayne Thebus

Wayne Thebus Member Gold Contributor

CNC Machinist/Programmer
    Balance:
    163Coins
    Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    I have all the bits to build a hoverboard based Ffb steering wheel, what I need help with is a wiring diagram for connecting the hoverboard main board to the Stm32L4VE.
    I have managed to flash the FOC firmware to the hoverboard main board and VNM firmware to Stm32L4VE. I have a 600ppr incremental encoder and will be using the hoverboard battery to supply power.
    I have been reading the posts and no one has uploaded a diagram of how to connect the Stm32L4VE and the hoverboard main board , please help me,thanks
    I added a picture of the Stm32 board s-l500.jpg
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2022
  5. felixnelsonsr

felixnelsonsr New Member

Balance:
    73Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Arduino
    I just finish my wheel using Odriveclone with Roman's firmware at first i'm using some kind of a fake motor or something it's made out of plastic the power is so bad maybe like 5nm at max but now i'm using a proper 350w motor with this motor i cant even go over 70% it's just too strong for my weak ass arm(lol) So very impressive so far right now waiting for damper effect to be added then I think it's gonna be perfect and cheapest easiest way to build your own direct drive steering wheel
  6. Wayne Thebus

Wayne Thebus Member Gold Contributor

CNC Machinist/Programmer
    Balance:
    163Coins
    Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Awesome, do you have any video of the wheel in action.
    Also please share your wiring scheme, I would like to get more information regarding the clone Odrives thank you.
  7. felixnelsonsr

felixnelsonsr New Member

Balance:
    73Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Arduino
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Dinsyu1976

Dinsyu1976 New Member

Balance:
    - 7Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor
    Is the 3d printed cover for the hoverboard STL available for download
  9. Chris_Beeves

Chris_Beeves Active Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    1,897Coins
    Ratings:
    +230 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform, 4DOF
    I'm not sure it fits all kinds of hoverboards, but here is:

Attached Files:

• Useful Useful x 1
  10. Dinsyu1976

Dinsyu1976 New Member

Balance:
    - 7Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor
    Ah I guess that's the case. I measured the screw holes and they're about 3mm off. However the dimensions will still help regardless. I do like this case you made and I thank you for sharing it. Thank you!
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Riaan Van Lill

Riaan Van Lill New Member

Balance:
    37Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    So Today I got a hoverboard that seems to have plastic wheels on all the info you guys shared it looks like they are all metal. the motherboard also looks different to the ones I have seen you guys share in the past. I will still test it once the odrive gets here sometime next year probably. But it looks like I have the cheapest one in existence. It has these Ferrari stickers/paint on the plastic wheel cover. one of the wheels already seems to be broken as well because it kept slipping/skipping under little pressure.
  12. Moti

Moti New Member

Balance:
    84Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Hello,
    I would love to build my own force feedback steering wheel and really like the idea of using a hoverboard motor. but I'm curious if anyone has experience with using the "B-G431B-ESC1" I read it could work. And what else would I need? I really like the EMC software but i can not really find any documentation about it and I think some people use an Arduino Leonardo but all I can find is that it only works on STM based micro controllers.

Could anyone help me with what micro controller I should get and what software and firmware would be the easiest (don't really need software to configure anything).

Kind regards Moti
  13. Chris_Beeves

Balance:
    1,897Coins
    Ratings:
    +230 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    The esc is a little bit hard to work with. There isn’t an available working firmware for it.

Older versions of EMC ran on leonardos. If you can get a hold of that it still works.
    The newer EMC is on stm.

At the moment there aren’t many universal drivers that work good with the hoverboard wheel as far as I know.
    I use Roman Smoliakovs fw right now, and it works really good. Also you only need a single odrive, no extra driver or mcu.
  14. Moti

Moti New Member

Balance:
    84Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Hi thanks a lot for the quick reply!

The odrive units are a little outside my budget unfortunately :( thats why i was looking at the B-G431B-ESC1 because its only 20 euro but yeah if thats hard I dont think I will be able to get it to work with my lacking coding skills.

You did have a working motorcycle steering wheel right with the B-G431B-ESC1?
  15. Chris_Beeves

Balance:
    1,897Coins
    Ratings:
    +230 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Yeah, I’ve built three units based on the esc1. I don’t use any of them now. I got lots of help coding and compiling but I still didn’t manage to get it working reliably enough.
    I know DanOve has been happy with his, but he knows his way around the code and adapted it for use with vjoy, so no mcu board.

I use the single channel odrive “clones” off alibaba, they are not much more expensive than an esc1 plus a stmf407. Plus the end result looks so much nicer when everything is packed into one single unit.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Moti

Moti New Member

Balance:
    84Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Okay,
    how much was the Odrive clone?
  17. Chris_Beeves

Balance:
    1,897Coins
    Ratings:
    +230 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    I guess it depends on where you are.
    The answer is probably not further than a google away.
    This is the one I got:
    upload_2022-11-5_17-50-47.jpeg
  18. Moti

Moti New Member

Balance:
    84Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Okay thanks for that i see i can get it for 66 euro from Aliexpress.
    Other than that i need a STM32F407 discovery?
    Some kind of encoder which one did you use?
    And ofcource the hoverboard motor.
  19. felixnelsonsr

felixnelsonsr New Member

Balance:
    73Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Arduino
    No you dont need a separate STM32 board the firmware can be run on the Odrive itself For the encoder part the cheapest one will do the trick I'm using 600cpr one with 1 to 2.28 gear ratio and it's working fine
  20. ZaQ_1

ZaQ_1 New Member

Balance:
    51Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    So I have semi-finished wheel. I uploaded Roman's firmware to odrive. Wheel seems to work, its showing up in game controllers and position changes when Im turning rim. I used 2500ppr encoder and I drive it directly instead of belt and gears.
    I assume that now I should apply for a key to the full version to make the final settings?
    Also how big heatsink should I mount on Odrive transistors?

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2