1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

DD-Wheel with Hoverboard Motor

Discussion in 'Direct Drive Wheels' started by Benu, Jan 21, 2019.

1. Ronan Design

Ronan Design Roman Design - Custom MSFS Scenery

Web Designer, MSFS Scenery Designer
    Balance:
    843Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Is it this one? https://github.com/benjaf/hoverboard-firmware-hack-esk8
    No instructions there. I think I found the original - it is complicated. Those drivers I mentioned also accept PWM, but it looks like it's just a single PWM input for both directions. SMC3 seem to need ENA and ENB in both modes. Not sure what those are, but I think they set direction? So I have no idea if SMC3 PWM can be output in compatible mode to set direction etc. when there is no ENA/ENB wiring that I can see on those drivers, and I think not on the hacked hoverboard boards either.
  2. kashalotas825

kashalotas825 New Member

Balance:
    8Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    So I've been researching these hoverboard DD wheels for a couple of days now, and it really seems like a great option for the price.

So far I have picked out:
    • 6.5'' 250W 36V hoverboard motor
    • ODrive-3.5 single motor driver
    • 12V 20A power supply
    • AS5048 magnetic encoder
    Because of packaging I thought that using a magnetic encoder would be far easier than making brackets and trying to somehow attach a rotary one. I've seen multiple people go this route and I was wondering if there was a go to solution for mounting, maybe someone could provide me with some info on what would need to get drilled, about using radial magnets or a magnet ring?
  3. JavierCorrales

JavierCorrales New Member

Balance:
    70Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Hi everyone.

First I hope I can keep a conversaation with my poor english.

Now I tell you that I´ve started with this project last week. I´m "handyman" but electronic s not my business.

ok.

Here´s my BOM:

1) BLDC hoverboard motor
    2)JYQD v7.32e ESC (know that´s not ideal but is what i have to start)
    3) Arduino Leonardo whith EMC software/firmware
    4) 600ppr rotary encoder.

Yesterday I was able to make the motor work with the esc using a potenciometer. The same start with arduino and encoder communicating with PC (proved in Automobilista 2 & iRacing)

Now (and here s my first "with a little help from my friends") I don´t know how to connect arduino pwm to ESC. I dont´t know wich pins of arduino use for that.

Ok friends.................too much for the first time

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Attached Files:

4. enthu_dude

enthu_dude New Member

Balance:
    17Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor
    Hi,
    I have been following this thread with a lot of interest. I am planning to build a did fb wheel using 300w hoverboard bldc motor and B-G431B-ESC1 driver board. Before ordering the parts, I have a couple of questions.

Is the firmware by @Benu for the esc1 open source ?
    Are there any alternative firmware for esc1 if we can't get @Benu's firmware ?

Thanks
  5. Sithhy™

Sithhy™ The big bamboozle

Man of leisure
    Balance:
    25Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello. I've recently been somewhat obsessed with making my own DD wheel & stumbling upon this thread as well as the "Cousin of OSW" has been a blessing. From all the research I've done on here, it seems like you guys prefer to use a MY1016 or a hoverboard motor, but what do you think of electric scooter motors? I've seen them being quite cheap & their wattages range from 250 up to 500W with 36V, however I wasn't able to find anything regarding the amperage as it seems to be a secret for some reason :( The main upside of using such a motor is that it's even more compact than a hoverboard one & possibly even cheaper for the same specs, depending on where you will get it.

I won't start my project anytime soon, but just wanted to know what do you guys think of it? The most popular electric scooter motor I've seen is for the Xiaomi M365 (Pro) :)
  6. Chris_Beeves

Chris_Beeves Active Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    1,897Coins
    Ratings:
    +229 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform, 4DOF
    Welcome!
    The Xiaomi motor looks just as good or better than a hoverboard motor. It's the torque you want, and smaller radius motors have to work harder to produce the same torque since it doesn't get the same levarage. At the same time, bigger motors are heavier so they won't be as responsive as a smaller motor. Soooo, it is all about the perfect compromise. :)

You can estimate the amps using P = U * I <=> Wattage = Voltage * Current => Current = Wattage/Voltage. I'd say never mind though, it'll most likely be enough.

The motor is the easy part. Finding a driver and making an encoder solution for it is more difficult.

The esc is compact and very capable, but unfortunately takes a looooooot of knowledge. Especially since Benu seems to have taken an extensive break from xsim.
    The Vesc is more user friendly, but I haven't gotten around to testing it myself yet.
  7. paul2130

paul2130 New Member

Balance:
    147Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Hello dear friends!

I'm in the progess of brainstorming the method of reviving a broken Thrustmaster TS-PC. The motherboard is toast, so that's out of the conversation. The wheel uses a brushless motor with belt reduction for increased torque. The motor is a B5665m with integrated hall sensor. The unit has hard stops for limiting the rotation.

I'm basically asking if i can go the route of VESC+STM32 disco board for my setup.

Thank you,
    Paul.
  8. Wayne Thebus

Wayne Thebus Member Gold Contributor

CNC Machinist/Programmer
    Balance:
    163Coins
    Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Hi all, I've been really enjoying the journey with you guys, reading all the posts!

Has anyone come across the Near Zero controller. https://skysedge.com/robotics/nz2/index.html

I would like to get a controller and Robowheel from this site and build a ffb steering wheel. Any input would be welcome.

Regards from the UAE.
  9. Chris_Beeves

Balance:
    1,897Coins
    Ratings:
    +229 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Looks like a nice base! Start a build thread when you get it!
    VNM supports CAN I think, so would be a good match.
  10. ZaQ_1

ZaQ_1 New Member

Balance:
    51Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Im observing this thread for a long time and see no progress. Is this project dead?
    I saw that one-piece hooverboard pcb was used as cheapest way to get working wheel. Why it cant be done with even cheaper and easier to get two-piece hooverboard controller?
  11. Chris_Beeves

Balance:
    1,897Coins
    Ratings:
    +229 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    @Benu, TS and code writer has taken an extensive break it seems. The firmware needs to be custom, since encoder counts and such differ from unit to unit.
    There are firmwares for the original boards, but I'm not sure there is one that supports encoders and FOC at the same time.

So, yeah. It has become a little too difficult to build this for the thread to stay alive I think.
    • Like Like x 3
  12. ACTIVE-GAME

ACTIVE-GAME Member

Balance:
    251Coins
    Ratings:
    +12 / 4 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, AC motor, SCN5, SCN6, SimAxe, Motion platform, 4DOF
    Of all that is in this thread, you have the coolest project !!! and a very serious engineering approach! You're cool!!! how does your driver work? how to manage it? and what is the cost?
  13. ACTIVE-GAME

ACTIVE-GAME Member

Balance:
    251Coins
    Ratings:
    +12 / 4 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, AC motor, SCN5, SCN6, SimAxe, Motion platform, 4DOF
    Better DIY in this thread, but a little information about your controller .
  14. Roman Smoliakov

Roman Smoliakov New Member

Balance:
    155Coins
    Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    It works awesome. A bunch of guys copied my project and build their versions based on it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And i build FFB joystick based on two axis wersion of it:
    IMG_20211012_194227.jpg

BUT. Because of global chip shortage it become very difficult to find components for it with resonable price :(
    That's why I developed custom firmware for ODrive and plan all my next build on it. It is compatible with ODESC3.6 as well. Schematic of connection as simple as
    [​IMG]

And all development plans are for ODrives/ODESC3.6. Because it is easily sourced on aliexpress.
    • Like Like x 7
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2021
  15. fzxj520

fzxj520 Active Member

Balance:
    1,341Coins
    Ratings:
    +87 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    Hello, have you solved this problem?
    How can I do it, @ danove_ B's code needs to be incorporated into @ Benu's firmware?
    https://www.xsimulator.net/communit...th-hoverboard-motor.13178/page-24#post-209025
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2021
  16. Chris_Beeves

Balance:
    1,897Coins
    Ratings:
    +229 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
  17. fzxj520

fzxj520 Active Member

Balance:
    1,341Coins
    Ratings:
    +87 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    It seems that we can only use it like this first
  18. nosazik

nosazik New Member

Balance:
    13Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino
    How it going to ODESC3.6 way
  19. fzxj520

fzxj520 Active Member

Balance:
    1,341Coins
    Ratings:
    +87 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  20. Erdem

Erdem New Member

Balance:
    29Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi, I have 250w hoberboard motor, (weird but plastic back cap).and odrive3.6 56v. When I try to calibrate motor I get curren measurement error. Why it should be, how can fix this issue? Could anyone help me?