1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

DC motor drivers wanted (above 10A) kits or assembled

Discussion in 'Motor actuators and drivers' started by egoexpress, Aug 13, 2007.

1. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    @Evan
    chbright proposed in another thread this driver/controller.
    http://www.applied-motion.com/products/ ... lx7080.php
    I think they'd be too pricey for us, but I am sure, that he would be happy, if it would work with them as well...

I hope that it will be possible to connect all those linked drivers to it. So everybody could decide by himself, which driver would fit for his purpose/wallet.

I'd like to know now, what Sirnoname thinks about our suggestions ;)
  2. EvanF

EvanF Member

Multimedia Producer
    Balance:
    423Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    @ego

If Sirnoname has designed the Hydranite to output 2x PWM then a H-Bridge Driver should respond. How 2 PWM output will give fwd/rev and spd control to 2 motors is in my thoughts.

I like the ocean control board in that 0~2.5V controls speed and direction one way and 2.5V~5V the other. I guess 'braking' could be achieved with 2.5V. To avoid rapid directional change and therefore damage to motor or driver (back emf) a millisecond ramp down and up in the software would be ideal.

The way I set up my picaxe, the Simple H powers (FWD) spd and direction with PWM thru portA and to reverse spd (REV) you need to send a pwm signal thru portB instead.

So yeah, I too am very curious about the Hydranite and which H-Bridge motor controller would be ideal to use!

EvanF
  3. EvanF

EvanF Member

Multimedia Producer
    Balance:
    423Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    @ego

Received response from Ocean Controls.

Can confirm: No braking feature.

Can confirm: Yes it is possible to use heavier wire in parallel from FETs to Output terminal for higher current usage, but bigger heatsink and temperature needs to be monitored.

evanF
  4. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    @Evan

Thanks for the investigation. I think that disqualifies the ocean controls drivers.

I like the simple-h and the German RN-Mini H-Bridge.

But, the RN-Motor could be purchased for 28 euro as a kit.
    The driver IC is a 30A model, but should be cooled well in order to pull this current continiously (if really needed at all ;) ).
    Perhaps a Peltier cooling pad could be used, if needed.
    And the driver IC could be purchased separated there as well for 9 euro. If somthing happens while soldering ;)

That means the half of the costs as for a simple-h.
    But for those who are afraid of soldering, the simple-h should be a better choice.

Both interfaces support braking.

We should have to assure now, if it would be possible to get 4 pwm signals out of the hydranite.

ego
  5. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    Nunja, wenn es schon ein VNH*Chip sein sollte, dann kann man auch gleich den RN-VN2 DualMotor Treiber nehmen (ich glaub jetzt haben wir alle RN Projekt durch...)

49 Euro als Fertigmodul
    39 Euro als Kit

Ich glaube bei dem Preisunterschied würde niemand das Kit bestellen.

Ansteuerungsskizze des RN-VN2 DualMotor Treibers:
    http://www.shop.robotikhardware.de/shop ... skizze.jpg

@Evan

The bi-directional driver for 2 motors above is available for 49 euro ready assembled. Up to 10A and more (30A) if cooled properly and supports braking.

Another point is, that we wouldnt need to pay high shipping and tax costs here in Germany.

ego
  6. EvanF

EvanF Member

Multimedia Producer
    Balance:
    423Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    @ ego

That's awesome, now if both the RN-VN2 and the Simple-H motor controllers are compatible with sirnonames Hydranite Board then we would have supply of a controller available both sides of the world!

BTW. re: OceanControls board. Firmware code is not freely available.

Evan
  7. RaceRay

RaceRay Administrator Staff Member SimAxe Beta Tester

Self-employed | Web and application development
    Balance:
    23,838Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,966 / 13 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, SimAxe, SimforceGT
    ...höchstens, damit ich endlich mal das SMD Löten lerne :)

Ich glaub ich bestell mir mal das Board und werd mit dem K8055 etwas experimentieren. Damit müsste ich auch zwei Motoren ansteuern können.

Hier hab ich nochmal paar Infos über PWM, DC Motoren und Mikrocontroller.
    Trotz der Komplexität einiger Formeln sehr anschaulich geschrieben

http://www.lea.fb12.uni-siegen.de/SKRIP ... ufgabe.pdf

Gruß
  8. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    Die pwm Ausgabe des K8055 funktioniert aber (noch) nicht mit X-Sim. Wenn sie das überhaupt einmal können sollte...

Aber zum Spielen kannst den Aufbau ja mal machen. ;)
  9. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
  10. EvanF

EvanF Member

Multimedia Producer
    Balance:
    423Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    @ ego

Without looking at the product specs I can only speculate.

But if you are correct how would 1 PWM signal control bi-direction and speed?

Perhaps the same way as the ocean controls ie: 2.5v~0v(1.5to1ms) for control one way and 2.5V~5V(1.5to2ms) for control the other?

Or maybe it is just a graphical error and IN-A and IN-B are where 2 PWM pulses go, and where it says PWM should actually be common?

BTW any news from sirnoname regarding the Hydranite, pwm output and the positional input (analogue pot too?)

evanF
  11. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    The PWM only controls the speed, while IN-A and IN-B assign where the PWM signal has to go (direction).

IN-A and IN-B are the enable input. But 2 times.

And if IN-A and IN-B are both set to HIGH or LOW, then braking mode is acitve.

As the RN-Mini-Bridge has a similar schematic (one pwm for both directions), a graphical error can be excluded.

ego
  12. EvanF

EvanF Member

Multimedia Producer
    Balance:
    423Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    @ ego
    Pity I can't read German! :(
    So there is a microcontroller built into the RNVN-H2 unit to toggle which way the H-Bridge is switched?
    How would the Hydranite Board control the switching?
    I would have to make up an intermediate board between the Hydranite and the Simple-H if this is the case :( ....unless sirnoname allows for multiple H-Bridge configurations. :D

evanF
  13. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    No, there isnt any controller. Just the h-bridges.
    If you scroll down this page, you can see the PCB at both sides. No PIC nor IC.
    http://www.shop.robotikhardware.de/shop ... cts_id=112

Perhaps the simple-H has two pwm inputs, in case you want to drive two uni-directional motors with different speeds with it.
    Maybe you could use one pwm signal splitted for both directions?

ego
  14. EvanF

EvanF Member

Multimedia Producer
    Balance:
    423Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    @ ego

I will have to wait and see what output the Hydranite Board will have before proceeding. It would be nice though if I could use just the one H-Bridge (x3) setup for both Car sim and FPS gaming. Seeing as I already have the Simple-H's it would have been luck!

The RN-VN2 DualMotor current loading probably won't be adequate for my needs, I'd rather have overkill current capacity, as it stands I feel the simple-H @ 28V(24V)~30amps continuous is just minimum, plus my motors may demand more than 24Volts at times.

evanF
  15. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    Hmm, the RN-VN2 driver IC (VNH2SP30) is rated for 40V and 30A. But as you can see there is no colling on the bord. So higher currents and voltages are supported if you'd put a adequate cooling on it.
    On the driver are 2 of them.
  16. EvanF

EvanF Member

Multimedia Producer
    Balance:
    423Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    @ego

oh okay, my German translation is not the best :)

thanks for the link now I can read the spec in English!

It appears the logic is integrated into the H-Bridge driver chip, so it's not exactly the basic H-Bridge config I thought sirnoname was after.

Wouldn't this mean the Hydranite would still need to provide multiple outputs per motor. Whether it is by way of 2 PWM signals per motor or 1 PWM and 2 hi/lo logic switches per motor.?

I can see no heatsink mount, is the casing made of metal, will a fan draw away enough heat from the chipset?

evanF
  17. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    The PIC, which is currently mounted, is a PIC18F2450

Afair, there are only 2 pwm (osc) outputs available. More PWMs would require a second PIC.

There are some metal plates on the back side of the IC, and some big areas on the other side of the pcb. They seem to support the cooling. But you are right. No cooling mounts.

I do not say that the RN-VN2 driver is the best one can get. But for this price, it would be perfect for a first test ;)
    Compatiblity to other drivers should be a feature of the hydranite tough.

EDIT:
    Weird. The PIC seems to have 2 different types of oscillators...
  18. RaceRay

RaceRay Administrator Staff Member SimAxe Beta Tester

Self-employed | Web and application development
    Balance:
    23,838Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,966 / 13 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, SimAxe, SimforceGT
    Should not ONLY use a fan!!! We have to use a big alu or cu-cooler on top of it, and as addition a fan.

The chip has a temperature unit, and will shut down, if the temperature is rising too much, so it´s the ideal chip for testing with high currents.

@sirnoname
    Are there any plans to use the pwm ports on the K8055 with x-sim? That would be very cool!!!
  19. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    @Raceray

Ich glaube, die H-Brücke Abschalten kann nur der Controller. Das heißt es müsste wohl programmiert werden. Die H-Brücke liefert mit dem Temperatursensor nur die Vorraussetzung dafür.

ego