1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Dawg's 6 DOF Build

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by GA-Dawg, Feb 17, 2016.

1. Nick Moxley

Nick Moxley Well-Known Member

Owner/Operator- Moxleys Rantals
    Balance:
    17,054Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,504 / 30 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, DC motor, JRK
    wow thats not cheap when you think X6 on everything.

Awesome build, Look forward to your progress.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. wannabeaflyer2

wannabeaflyer2 Well-Known Member

Balance:
    8,286Coins
    Ratings:
    +950 / 7 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
    AC 6DOF was never going to be cheap but the DIY versions, we keep dreaming and pushing the boundries cost wise but at least the sim platforms that these make put a lot of commercial units to shame ....yeah I know overheads development cost Return on investment yada yada yada ...but were at the other end of the scale and GA-Dawg and other show it can be done , @SeatTime has set a standard in what could be affordable linear Actuators ( still not cheap as chips as they say ) but with all the effort and variations created by Followers (myself included :) ) usually leads to a mini breakthrough and for us that sometimes translates out to "This now is a can do project " not break the bank and loose the WAG Project LOL :) ( Wag being Wife and Girlfriend for our Overseas Members )
    • Agree Agree x 3
  3. GA-Dawg

GA-Dawg Active Member

Balance:
    240Coins
    Ratings:
    +136 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, 6DOF
    Opps....Sorry if I wasn't clear...The prices I listed where for 6 per item.

i.e. Motors .....1 is $115 .....6 would be $700
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2016
  4. Nick Moxley

Balance:
    17,054Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,504 / 30 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    Ya it didn't take long to check a few of the prices of parts you linked....Im like 100$ motor...Wow thats cheap....and actually still kinda is for a BIG ARSE 3/4Hp motor like that....then you bring in the X factor...and X6 would be rather painful on the pocketbook. Either way, a FRACTION the cost of a commercial unit.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  5. JAD

JAD Active Member

Balance:
    1,446Coins
    Ratings:
    +141 / 3 / -0
    Thanks for sharing, I too am watching with interest.
    Im mulling over various options for actuators and Im about to order some items this weekend to play with before going all in with x6.
    I initially was going to stay away from the VFD but will now wait and watch to see how you go.
    Cheers!
    • Creative Creative x 1
  6. GA-Dawg

GA-Dawg Active Member

Balance:
    240Coins
    Ratings:
    +136 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, 6DOF
    Hi All,

It sounds like there are a few interested in the build so I will try and update regularly. I will not be braking any time records as I believe @SilentChill has that locked up but I do want to get it up and running in short order. I've got everything I need to complete the build but my dam OCD kicked in and I will be doing some fit and finish work before I start on the electrical work (also my wife will not let it in the house in the current condition). As mention before I have a EXTERMALY detail build log that I not really wanting to recreate on this forum (it's actually very time consuming) so if you want that link PM me and I will send. I will be updating both. I will use this forum for highlights and the other for details hope that is OK with everyone.

I would also like to give everyone a bit of background as it might give some incite as to why I did certain things. I would also greatly appreciate any correction to my assumption as they may be false especially as it relates to AC/DC.

One quick note/point. I suffer from dyslexia and dysgraphia which results in very poor grammar. I simply want to point this out because you may be thinking to yourself "why the hell would I take the advice from the village idiot" but I due believe that I have some relative experience especially when it comes to fabrication.

When I design this platform I always attend in sharing with the hope that it would push platform building forward. Therefore the design relied on simple tools the exception to that is the need for a metal cutting saw, drill press and a light duty welder but I though most DIY's would have access to those items.

So who am I

By day I design/support... medium/large scale.... networks/computing/storage environments. So I know my way around a computer BUT my ability to program is extremely limited. I also understand the basic when it comes to motors and controllers as I built a 3 axis CNC plasma cutter and a 5 axis CNC mill (only good for cutting light weight material).

By night I am a "car guy" I have built/restored 5 now and it's something that I would really rather do but I still need the income from my day job. I point this out because there will be difference in the photos (build vs completed) as I have access/own a number of tools that most would not have access to. In all case the differences will be minor. As and example the lever arms. In the build they are shown with bolts acting as a compression fitting. That will work fine I just did not like the look so I used my TIG welder (which I don't think most will have) and welded the levers to the shaft. From my experience the small hobby welders are not capable of generating enough current/heat to properly penetrate material as thick as the shaft.

So if I haven't lost you yet....why AC

Simple....weight.

I am 5'10" (1.55 meters) and 190lbs (86kg)....ya I know I need to loose a little weight....but two of my best mates use to play college (American) football ( only point this out as they are big all over not just the waist line). One is 6'5" (1.95 meters) the other is 6'7" (just over 2 meters) and they both weigh over 300 lbs (136kg). I could not image telling either one of them that the sim was off-limits so I decide to make it stout. So this lead my to believe that AC was the best option given the weight I need to move. Now this could be a false assumption on my part so please fell free to correct.

Kind Regards,
    -GA Dawg
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. GA-Dawg

GA-Dawg Active Member

Balance:
    240Coins
    Ratings:
    +136 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, 6DOF
    Completed lever arm. 1" x 3" x 9.5" long. Shaft to hemi joint 160mm. I will be smoothing and painting this weekend
    25126984265_c8b7c69220_o.jpg
    • Like Like x 3
  8. GA-Dawg

GA-Dawg Active Member

Balance:
    240Coins
    Ratings:
    +136 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, 6DOF
    Details of the ends. I made them interlocking by using end caps
    24394933353_5a9d3005aa_o.jpg 24726254110_0dbea03cac_o.jpg 24660902449_5292a61317_o.jpg
    • Like Like x 3
  9. Nick Moxley

Balance:
    17,054Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,504 / 30 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    Nice update Dawg, and Dayum are those Lever's thick mamma jamma's, smooth moves with the end cap's for joining the sections. :thumbs:thumbs
  10. GA-Dawg

GA-Dawg Active Member

Balance:
    240Coins
    Ratings:
    +136 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, 6DOF
    Little bit more on the levers. They are not solid (part of the DIY plan) but still large. This was to accommodate the use of these power H drives as the outside diameter is 2.5" 23757718783_f587be3f0e_o.jpg 24419194140_57840a58ce_o.jpg
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2016
  11. Nick Moxley

Balance:
    17,054Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,504 / 30 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    Ah icic. That makes sense.
  12. GA-Dawg

GA-Dawg Active Member

Balance:
    240Coins
    Ratings:
    +136 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, 6DOF
    Finish designing the position sensor mount. I am using a RC u joint to attach the shaft to the sensor. I attach the .stl file if anyone wants it.
    25060612081_1cd209259c_o.jpg
    24858206320_5be8b5c8df_o.jpg 25035620732_66e6a6f75c_o.jpg 25060612011_22c93e3809_o.jpg

Attached Files:

• Creative Creative x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. wannabeaflyer2

Balance:
    8,286Coins
    Ratings:
    +950 / 7 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Hi @GA-Dawg Man o Man don't you just love 3D printers , That is some sweet Work you have done on the Pot Mounts , very Impressive sir , But Then agin I expect nothing less from you , given the amount of detail you put into your Build Log .. can I ask What software you used to design the parts and produce your STL files for the Pot Mounts :)
    • Agree Agree x 2
  14. GA-Dawg

GA-Dawg Active Member

Balance:
    240Coins
    Ratings:
    +136 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, 6DOF
    Thanks for the kind words. I have done everything in Solidworks. I included the Soildworks file in the zip. If there are other formats people would like to experiment with please let me know and I will see if it will let me convert.
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. SeatTime

SeatTime Well-Known Member

Retired
    Balance:
    28,370Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,844 / 38 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, Motion platform
    In OZ, I would expect a similar completed AC rig to cost $10k + which would not include the upgrades required to your houses mains power to power it. Unfortunately too rich for me :(. Nice rig though, all the best in getting it completed.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. SeatTime

SeatTime Well-Known Member

Retired
    Balance:
    28,370Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,844 / 38 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, Motion platform
    Nice 3d print stuff:thumbs, but how is the pot fixed in the housing - pressure fit?
    • Like Like x 1
  17. GA-Dawg

GA-Dawg Active Member

Balance:
    240Coins
    Ratings:
    +136 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, 6DOF
    @SeatTime

When I originally started this build I had read that it would be around 5k (US) but I am way over that. I thinking all in I will be around 7.5k (US). Yes that is a lot of money and there are a few things I could have done cheaper but I really don't want to revisit (fix) anything after I am done. So I think I could have trimmed it down to say 6.5k (US) and still have a very high quality rig. Still way to much for the general hobbiest so I don't think AC is really going to work for a majority out there. I have a real need to build a second unit for my friend as I had him doing some of the sanding on the levers this weekend so he has been asking when can I start on his. I would really like to do something that more people can do. Something that would be cost effective and easy to maintain but handle the weight of a 300 plus lbs person (137kg)

Suggestions? Anyone really look into Pneumatic lately?

Oh and I did think its interesting that it would cost more in OZ given the parts I getting come from China. I would have thought it would have been cheaper as I assume the transport cost would be less.

On the pot. I am using a small headless allen set screw (it's on the underside in the photo so not visible)

Oh....one last thing....Your build is truly inspiring. Thanks for sharing

Cheers
    -GA Dawg
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2016
  18. Nick Moxley

Balance:
    17,054Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,504 / 30 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    Cool pot mount Dawg. I hope there is ZERO play in that U joint you picked up, Last thing you want is a Tiny Tick of play that is taking some of the uber fine detail away due to a little slop or play that developed in the joint. What car/brand is it from ?
  19. wannabeaflyer2

Balance:
    8,286Coins
    Ratings:
    +950 / 7 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    @GA-Dawg Hi Good buddy one last Question , Ref Solid works , have you got access to this at work or as a home user ? , i use Autocad inventor at Work , but would love to be able to work from home as it were,
    Now I realise in any language none of these packages are cheap , do you have student version or is there a way to get legit use of this software for Free ( emphasis on the for free part :) as a home user ?
  20. GA-Dawg

GA-Dawg Active Member

Balance:
    240Coins
    Ratings:
    +136 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, 6DOF
    @Nick Moxley ...There does not seam to be any play in the u joint BUT I would agree it could be a problem, only time will tell if it does not work out I could print something. :) And I got it from Amazon. it's a 4mm to 1/8 u joint.
    @wannabeaflyer2 Check you PM