1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

CV1 upgrade to 4K [ PIMAX 4K ] + positional tracking PS Move

Discussion in 'VR Headsets and Sim Gaming - Virtual Reality' started by Andrew M, Jul 3, 2017.

1. SeatTime

SeatTime Well-Known Member

Retired
    Balance:
    28,370Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,844 / 38 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, Motion platform
    The absence of God rays is excellent and they seem like a nice panel although I can still make out the SDE, but unfortunately the center of the image is slightly blurry (likely a mismatch of the panel to the lens) which makes them not the best for reading anything - very clear around the center though :rolleyes:.
  2. Andrew M

Andrew M P_H_O_3_N_I_X

IT Chief Programmer / CTO
    Balance:
    585Coins
    Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    yup - mine 4K has it too, but first I thought that as I bought as "used" - the previous owner must have caused due to a careless, but it seems like a factory lens mismatch as you said [ I even used to mount it with a little trim +10 mm "up" of the center ]
  3. Andrew M

Andrew M P_H_O_3_N_I_X

Balance:
    585Coins
    Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    @update - if you have a Kinect 360 - you can now test the new functionality of Position Tracker with Driver4VR in SteamVR [ received confirmation today that was implemented ] instead of PSMove since Kinect seems much easier to setup [ I will pick up mine kinect X360 tomorrow - as just bought it an hour ago... ]:
  4. Andrew M

Andrew M P_H_O_3_N_I_X

Balance:
    585Coins
    Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    I wrote on pimax forum - that a friend bought 4K, but received BE:
    Heliosurge
    There supposed to have exchange procedure finalized by the end of the week. So unfortunately will have to wait.

Get your friend seup here & forward e-vendor info

Ie
    E vendor
    Date of purchase
    Pics of unit with serial

Look in the forums for @PIMAX-Support post for info needed.

@PIMAX-Support @PimaxVR @xunshu can yous post an update on exchange progress
  5. Andrew M

Andrew M P_H_O_3_N_I_X

Balance:
    585Coins
    Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
  6. SeatTime

Retired
    Balance:
    28,370Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,844 / 38 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    So you have it as well :eek:, that's not good....I can feel a warranty refund on this item is in my future..:(. Sad really, as this product had so much potential.
  7. SeatTime

Retired
    Balance:
    28,370Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,844 / 38 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    That was the first thing I did, due to your heads up. Seems that they are doing a new run of 4Ks and not much will happen until they are built/released.
  8. Andrew M

Andrew M P_H_O_3_N_I_X

Balance:
    585Coins
    Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    is it really so noticeable ? in my case a little blurriness exact on center, but not as bad [ a little "up" and I don`t see this ] - but if it is a FACTORY issue and all of them have this then yea, maybe many refunds will convince them to make things better, not mentioning selling BE instead of 4K [ and you are not the only one ] + I see now that their support is not even answering to many posts [ just not doing it right ] as it has a potential = is still far from perfection.
    This BE is in tech spec. like Depoon E3 - so all those 2.5K OLED still has large SDE`s, but have you tried any game, or you are already a little tired of Pimax ? [ I think you should force them first to exchange to a 4K model and then if still not good then a refund ]

I think that my fascination of the P4K must be caused by 4K phenomen, as I don`t notice those imperfections as bright - due to no SDE / all details / colors and if 2.5K is still not so huge step from CV1 - I would probably see mostly issues of it - so your call to give 4K a last try...
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
  9. SeatTime

Retired
    Balance:
    28,370Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,844 / 38 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    I already have a 'Kinect for Windows', which I had planned to use for 3D scanning.
  10. SeatTime

Retired
    Balance:
    28,370Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,844 / 38 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Games have run fine - Assetto Corsa even without PT was quite OK, but the blurriness in the center of vision is very annoying for me - outside of that it is very clear :rolleyes:. Yes, a big stuff up by PIMAX :mad:.
  11. SeatTime

Retired
    Balance:
    28,370Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,844 / 38 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    What is so frustrating is that when I tried this panel on Elite Dangerous it is just lovely - no god rays and the amount of brightness is just perfect - I can even read all the menus and controls perfectly off center as the SDE is less then Oculus - so if the vision was the same on center, I would be very happy with it... so - so frustrating....:mad: Also lack of PT was not an issue at all with this panel in this game.
  12. SeatTime

Retired
    Balance:
    28,370Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,844 / 38 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    FI: I'm also corresponding with Gearbest support and have submitted a ticket - at least they reply/acknowledge emails . If Pimax do not reply in some way soon, I will be requesting a refund under Gearbest's Warranty and Return conditions. Sad, but I don't have the time/patience for this unprofessional S##%.
  13. Andrew M

Andrew M P_H_O_3_N_I_X

Balance:
    585Coins
    Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Yup at least some answer [ they confirm that will give a solution this week - I would try to help and force them a bit to keep word ]
    http://forum.pimaxvr.com/t/cv1-upgrade-to-pimax-4k-psmove-positional-tracking/2415/73
    @PIMAX-Support
    Hi, we will give out a solution in this week : )
    @pho3nix Yes, I received that email, thanks.

*Official what happened
    http://forum.pimaxvr.com/t/about-b1-with-sn102xxx/2397
    xunshu
    The B1 units were supposed to ship to business clients. Usually, people can distinguish B1 and 4K by the box.

What Happened:
    One of our major overseas distributors ordered B1 from us as requested by a business client, but we had run out of the box that designed specifically for B1. The business client requests the distributor to deliver the headset earlier and does not mind if we use the box for consumer version in B1. We produced B1 units in the 102xxx batch as requested and send to the distributor. However, part of B1 in the 102xxx batch, that supposed to send to business clients, were mixed up with the units for consumer channels as the packages look the same.
    We do not have the incentive to sell B1 with the price for 4K, because the B1 display costs more than 4K display as there is only one source to get OLED. Also, the hardware of B1 is more expensive than 4K.
    We have already contacted the distributor and requested the distributor to hold all the suspected units and channels. We are working with the distributor to review all the units in different warehouses to make sure there is no B1 in customer channel anymore.

For those who have received B1 instead of 4K
    If you want to keep the unit, then keep it.
    If you do not want to keep the B1, please contact support@pimaxvr.com. the Pimax team will support you directly as it is the most efficient way.

If the serial number is not 102xxx, it's 100% Pimax 4K consumer edition.
    We are very sorry about the accident. We have learnt the lesson that we should always distinguish B1 and 4K with different boxes to make sure the factory, distributors, and customers won't get confused.

• Gearbest and Amazon are authorized channels of Pimax VR, zozovr is not authorized.

@SeatTime - try to find just a little more patience and think about my suggestion about doing an exchange to a 4K version first [ it is even better with the resolution / details and no SDE ]
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
  14. SeatTime

Retired
    Balance:
    28,370Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,844 / 38 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    They must be listening :). A few minutes after my comment above I received a email from Pimax explaining what is going on
    '
    If you received the helmet(Serial number: 102XXX) as well as little SDE( screen door effect) in Display, it should be a BE version.
    We will arrange a replacement for you soon, please use the current helmet temproarily, actually except little SDE, the helmet
    you used has a better impression with higher cost : )'

I did also email back with my blurry center issue, and then received this response quite quickly :
    '
    Regarding the issue of blurry centre, Pimax helmet(4K and BE) could automatically adapt for users with myopia under 300 degree without wearing glasses.
    But other situations ( e.g. myopia over 300 degree, presbyopia or astigmatism) should wear glasses, please be advised
    .'
    Well I do wear glasses in VR and did explain that I have already used a DK2 and CV1 without issues and that I am not the only one taking about this issue ...:rolleyes: Well at least I now have some communications happening with Pimax and I went into this knowing I was taking a risk, so will play this out and see what happens. Its not like I don't have a working system :). Thanks for the head up on the serial number issue @Andrew M:thumbs , it has enabled me to get straight on top of this issue from when I received the item and opened the box.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Andrew M

Andrew M P_H_O_3_N_I_X

Balance:
    585Coins
    Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    @SeatTime there is a guy in Australia, which has 4K and want to exchange to BE - LukeB [http://forum.pimaxvr.com/t/about-b1-with-sn102xxx/2397/74] what do you think ? :) [ on Pimax forum - there is already an user @SeatTime = probably you ? ]
  16. Andrew M

Andrew M P_H_O_3_N_I_X

Balance:
    585Coins
    Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    I finally tested Kinect with Driver4VR and first thought: it seems in every way better then my 3D printed LED / PSMove !!! [ at least after 2h of playing / testing ]

1) I can rotate in 180 degree, much more angle left / right + the same up/down = like no limits.
    PSmove/printedLED - due to mounting not in center of the head has shifted horisontal/vertical axis, [ LED is 10cm over center of AXIS = head ] is causing that rotation up/down is also moving front/back, + HMD is not shadowing the LED over 100 degree when camera is out of sight of the tracker LED bulb = no tracking. Kinect doesn`t have issue.

2) almost none/ less gyro DRIFT - no need to reset the Pimax gyro orientation and SteamVR / Game view - all the time - it is somehow holding the center much better, so can play long time [ don`t really understand this, maybe some compesation is implemented ? but is just great ! ]

3) Less cables [ power adapter ] and without additional H/W attached [ like PSMove / LED ] = only the Pimax4K.

@edit:
    4) Installation is super EASY - just plug in Kinect and start SteamVR -> automatically starts D4VR -> select Kinect and click start [ if drivers for Kinect are not installed => will show up the info + link do download -> then restart and is ready ! ]

First need to select best place in the room [ changed 3 locations, up in front close on TV - bad. at ceiling up away in front - bad, and finally on left 40 deg away = seems best [ +angle correction in D4VR->Kinect->settings ],

so far very optimistic !

Still don`t really understand, but this bluriness may be caused by my eyes, not LENS`es - like today I changed the IPD from 55, to 59 - and I don`t see this bluriness ?! still I would prefer LENS, rather then my eyes issue... :(
    • Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
  17. SeatTime

Retired
    Balance:
    28,370Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,844 / 38 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
  18. SeatTime

Retired
    Balance:
    28,370Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,844 / 38 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    So, the latest from Pimax

'Thanks very much for your patient and understanding, also sorry for uncomfortable experience caused because of our mistake.

In view of shipping cost and duration, we're pleased to provide two options for you about this case after our much discussion internally.
    a. If you may keep it, USD100 coupon or discount offered as a compensation for you to purchase future 8K helmet which will come soon. We promise that give you a particular code before Kickstarter Crowd Funding Campaign starts.
    b. You still can get a replacement or return from E-vendor you ordered at present. Please contact GearBest vendor who will in charge of your request once she starts to work.

Actually like we referred before, the current helmet you used is our domestic business version with higher cost, lower trail and better refresh rate. We're highly recommend that you may keep it if you mainly use it to play VR games. Sure, it's up to you, we absolutely respect your decision.

Anyway, thanks again for your attention to Pimax VR, please kindly let us know what's your opinion
    .'

Really don't know what the above actually means - the English is not the best, so is 'replacement' (I highlighted it) a 4K unit?? . Its all a bit confusing:mad: - more clarification need - more emails :rolleyes:..
  19. SeatTime

Retired
    Balance:
    28,370Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,844 / 38 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    As the BEs were so close to being a good Headset for Elite, I decided to keep them and attempt to fix the center focus issue myself. Pulled them apart and placed spacers under the lens holders to vary the spacing from the lens to the display panel - after a bit of mucking about - fixed :). Just tried Elite and the headset is excellent, with just the right amount of brightness and now better clarity enabling me to easily read all the controls/menus. I also just got tracking working with Kinect.
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
  20. SeatTime

Retired
    Balance:
    28,370Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,844 / 38 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    As I can certainly see a difference between the Pimax BE and CV1, decided to find out what that was in regard to the headsets that I have owned: FI:

Headset Resolution Panel Type
    DK2 1920 x 1080 = 2,073,600 (OLED)
    CV1 2160 X 1200 = 2,592,000 (OLED) increase 518,400 over DK2
    Pimax BE 2560 x 1440 = 3,686,400 (OLED) increase 1,094,400 over CV1 - its sort of why I kept it :).