1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

CV1 upgrade to 4K [ PIMAX 4K ] + positional tracking PS Move

Discussion in 'VR Headsets and Sim Gaming - Virtual Reality' started by Andrew M, Jul 3, 2017.

1. Andrew M

Andrew M P_H_O_3_N_I_X Gold Contributor

IT Chief Programmer / CTO
    Balance:
    555Coins
    Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    looks NICE, compared its display:
    BE: 2560X1440 OLED with 85Hz [ up to 150Hz ] * 3.7MP / ?
    4K: 3840x2160 LED with 60Hz [ up to 120Hz ] * 8.3MP / 806 PPI
    looks like a trade: LessGhosting vs BiggerSDE
    [ both still lack of PT... and seems that available for Chinese Business only ? ]
    + BE is much lighter: 360g !
    I will hold my 4K, since it is a 4K till a CV2 arrives :) don`t you think that PIMAX 8K would be an overkill ? [ actually twice a 4K display ! wonder if 2 x SLI 1080TI GTX - will hold a 15FPS with LOW settings untill will be melted :) beautifull dream of native 8K - but needs *next gen. of GPU of 2020+ or to use it with 2,5K / 4K GPU res. with upscaling, since no SDE, but then what`s the difference 4K which SDE is already unnoticable... ]
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2017
  2. mariano68

mariano68 Active Member

builder contractor
    Balance:
    3,338Coins
    Ratings:
    +395 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino, 4DOF
    Check that in some part of the page says that it was "Chinese business only" until now, that is available worldwide from them :rolleyes:
    To be honest, I only keep my cv1+touchs because I want to use them with my wip simulator, meanwhile they are collecting dust, even my daughters almost doesn't use them, the lack of software is killer.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Andrew M

Balance:
    555Coins
    Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    :) for me the opposite 4K stays, and CV1 leaves [ since I can`t get used to SDE again as I`ve seen a 4K - maybe better was not touch a P4K from the beginning / similar situation had after my first VR experience, when later cannot simply force myself to watch/use a flat screen anymore ]
  4. mariano68

mariano68 Active Member

builder contractor
    Balance:
    3,338Coins
    Ratings:
    +395 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino, 4DOF
    Agreed, I think I would use the pimax4k more than the cv1, impossibly to think about my sim without VR.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. SeatTime

SeatTime Well-Known Member

Retired
    Balance:
    28,370Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,844 / 39 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, Motion platform
    From my order tracking, I should have mine in 7 to 10 days :).
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Andrew M

Balance:
    555Coins
    Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    FAST ! I was never strong in case of waiting for packages like this [ especially a new VR HMD, I remember the DK2 preorder: 2 months untill my turn in production comes + 2 weeks for delivery = it was really difficult time for my patience ] :)
    check this out: human eye quality VR of 3000 ppi [ prototype micro-OLED ]
    https://www.roadtovr.com/company-promises-deliver-vr-headset-human-eye-level-resolution/
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2017
  7. Andrew M

Balance:
    555Coins
    Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    PT + DCS + P4K [ some kind of selfie movie ]:
    • Like Like x 3
  8. f1iceman

f1iceman Why So Serious ? ( The Joker )

Balance:
    781Coins
    Ratings:
    +390 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, SCN5
    does it eat gpu power tho to run 4k ?
  9. Andrew M

Balance:
    555Coins
    Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Unfortunetely yes, if native 4K then my 1080GTX would be melted with 25FPS [ with OC ], but PIMAX 4K uses 2.5K resolution and HW upscale to 4K, so it is 4K VR for current GPU !
    [ for example using SuperSampling as I did for CV1, to 2-2.5K = same requirements / DCS on Ultra constant 60 FPS - GTX@1080 ]
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2017
  10. SeatTime

Retired
    Balance:
    28,370Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,844 / 39 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    PT looks good :thumbs. Order Tracking tells me that my PIMAX 4K arrived in Sydney yesterday - should be delivered tomorrow :). I'm really interested in how this will look in real life - unfortunately videos don't do anything for previewing a VR system.
  11. Andrew M

Balance:
    555Coins
    Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Great ! :)
    You need to ensure you have a solid 60FPS, I reinstalled drivers and make tweaks, tip: SuperSampling is on PiPlay and Steam - check that you don`t have 1.5 * 1.5 [ or if needed need to lower game settings ].
    and set up the IPD [ PiPlay -> settings -> device . I seen it kind of blurry, untill set up properly my eyes ]
    At first you should notice the ghosting [especially on SteamVR ], but later you won`t notice it, especially during playing games like PCARS - what you will notice is a crystal clear dashboard details !
    + later make a simple PSMove PositionalTracking like I did to improve the immersion.
    Look forward to your experience with first 4K available :) I think you won`t be dissappointed !
    PS: also please check on serial of your Pimax, since 100 is a 4K led, and 102 is BE with 2.5OLED [ I heard they`ve messed up many shipments ]
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
  12. SeatTime

Retired
    Balance:
    28,370Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,844 / 39 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Ok:rolleyes:, thanks for the heads up ..
  13. f1iceman

Balance:
    781Coins
    Ratings:
    +390 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, SCN5
    I think 1.8 ppd is the limit ai t it and your just killing gpu power off to which you can then use the game and get more from it than going over the ppd of 1.8.
    Think hhe screen top out at that. So it game settings or nvidia dsr 4x
    Think i just run dsr 4x time now n crank up the games but been going thru so mamy changes on my pc its nig funny now.
    Lol
    Gtx 1080ti rog posiedon now, but delivery tomoz for a new build to do so upping every thi g abit more.
    I. Intrested now as was going to buy another cv1 for the garden so i got space ! Lol
    This would work in my favour if its good.
  14. Andrew M

Balance:
    555Coins
    Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Yes, still for a native 4K/8K in VR even the most powerfull GPU`s has their limits and nothing helps untill a next. gen. GPU will be produced [ I can understand this ],
    but Pimax resolved this issue as a 2.5K GPU rendering, and HW upscaling to 4K = this is what the @Oculus/@HTC should have thought about a months ago [ or even years ] !!!!
    Really cannot understand why they are staying with a such SDE [ from 2 years ] waiting for a progress in CPU/GPU probably... Pimax on the other hand is now developing 8K [ so not answering on technical forums about any fix request for earlier 4K - like they are 95% focuses on 8K ] - which will be an overkill [ even with rendering first for left 4K, then for right 4K = yea, some optimalisation for 2 displays ] but PPI is still too big to be handled ! but they don`t want to listen / have seen many posts of angry people about 8K priorities in DEV [ including me ].
    I`ve also read lately that on earlier versions of PiPlay [ like 1.1.92 ] ghosting effect and drifting was less noticable, like it is additional SW issue [ HW mostly offcourse ], so tried to check and made a downgrade [ at this weekend ] but without success unfortunatelly [ SW was not founding my HMD all the time - uninstalling Oculus/PiPlay/Drivers reinstalling in many configurations, unpluging/pluging => still don`t know why, but hadn`t got enought time, and installed again the newest 1.2.75 - works OK ]
  15. f1iceman

Balance:
    781Coins
    Ratings:
    +390 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, SCN5
    Af the end of the day the tech is always moving forward but the only thing that will solve vr issues is 2 gpu support in the games.
    They need to get that working so it will work with 2x gpu one for each eye not in sli tho just seperate gpu for each so you have full power to play with.
    Once thats done it will solve so much on the power side to run vr at an amazing rate.
    Fps noprobs graphic ultra ect...
    It may only need the pimax res then anyway.
    Its about time dedicated real games are just vr to move the tech forward and stop thinking about the bloidy money.
    They will make it if its amazing n i don't mind a £100 game if its done right.
  16. Andrew M

Balance:
    555Coins
    Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Yes, but still VR is the most expensive as for its hardware requirements [ if a new 1080GTX costs price level 800$ and you will need *2 of highest level card + HMD, like CV1 - another 800$ + CPU with MB for 600$ + some peripherals like wheel, etc = it is only beginning of the whole investment... ],
    when trying to competitive and bring to mass end-user [ to make it more popular / create huge market ] for everyone, as Sony tried with addon of VR HDM to PS4 [ 500$ total for a console + 400$ VR ] it simply cannot have enough power to handle [ even with low level programming optimalisations ].
    Still without further HW + SW changes in GPU architecture [ like nVidia did with ASW, ATW ] it will remain as unfordable [ on entry price level ] for most of the people - especially comparing to what can really offer as barely 2K and SDE, but... it is a price of evolution I suppose, to be a part of it :)
    also as you said Pimax resolution is what it really needs to fit VR expectations.
  17. Andrew M

Balance:
    555Coins
    Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    @SeatTime - and how is the status [ have you already received ] - first impressions ?
  18. SeatTime

Retired
    Balance:
    28,370Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,844 / 39 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Well my Pimax '4K' turned up, but unfortunately it has a BE panel fitted - serial number begins with '102'and I can see a SDE in the panel:mad:. Email to Pimax support sent :rolleyes:.....
  19. Andrew M

Balance:
    555Coins
    Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    I heard that they are messing up with many shipments... but should exchange without a problem [ so if you already have it - untill any further move - it is a good opportunity to test the BE version :)
    2.5K is still higher then Oculus/HTC so SDE should be much improved - I suppose and should have less ghosting as higher HZ - then my 4K - so how`s first general impressions on the Pimax BE, or it is still too early and you need to test it better on games like PCars ?
  20. SeatTime

Retired
    Balance:
    28,370Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,844 / 39 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Just got home from visiting friends up north, have only looked through the lens with the setup, although with just that it seems very clear - no god rays like with my Oculus. I will see if I can get something else running.