1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Creating Model Sized JoyRider

Discussion in 'Off Topic - All other stuff here' started by stowaway, Feb 4, 2012.

1. stowaway

stowaway New Member

Balance:
    1Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Can anyone suggest how I should go about making a model sized Joy Rider.

I am plannign to just make the frame out of wood, and create it all about 30cms..

however, Im not sure what I can use for the grommets (or the swivel parts.. and how should I attach a Pot there...)

Does anyone have any suggestions?
  2. BartS

BartS Member

Balance:
    417Coins
    Ratings:
    +5 / 1 / -0
    I have a model which can be used as a 2 dof simforce style. take a look at my thread it will give you some ideas how I have done things.
    http://www.x-simulator.de/forum/3dof-arduino-sabertooth-4-x-24v-wheelchair-motors-t3425.html

Depends how you wish to drive your model, my approach I am trying to simulate as close to possible my real world configuration.
    That is not to use servos but motors and gearboxes, I managed to pick up some motors and gearboxes at maplin.co.uk but i think I also saw them on ebay. I then got some pots and used a spare gear from my motor gearbox pack and used this to glue on to the pots with precision super glue ver tough stuff. I then mounted the pot gear to the gearbox of the motors, please see my pics on my thread.
    I also used model RC aircraft parts as gromets, arms, ball joints, rods etc, your local model shop should be able to help.

Hope this helps
  3. stowaway

stowaway New Member

Balance:
    1Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    hi,
    yeah i was trying to simulate a joy rider but I might go a different way.

have you programmed the ardunio code yet? This is 1 of the ways I am going.. Are you going to use the USO or create an interface?
    Will you share you code :)
  4. stowaway

stowaway New Member

Balance:
    1Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i found ur code bits in the thread lnik u send already :)

do you have a youtube vid of the working model?
  5. BartS

BartS Member

Balance:
    417Coins
    Ratings:
    +5 / 1 / -0
    No video yet, I did have it going in 2dof in a video but never posted it, not much to see in my opinion.
    The motors just changed direction after reaching designated pot limits.

I don't know about sharing the code as it has taken me so long to put together so far and it is programmed for my 4 motors and would be useless in any other setup, some revisions would have to be made. That bridge will be crossed when I come to it.
    I am thinking about selling a preprogramed unit possibly on a custom designed board.

I may help you with som code troubles and questions if you have any.

I use uso btw but nothing is finalised.
  6. eaorobbie

eaorobbie Well-Known Member SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,400Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, SimforceGT, 6DOF
    come on guys we suppose to share thing like this not sell them.

Heres my first code without pid, thats where it gets tricky when time frees i will complete it.

7. stowaway

stowaway New Member

Balance:
    1Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks very much for that.
  8. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for that Eaorobbie!
    At least someone still shares, unlike OTHERS, whom are full of advice, but yet to produce a project!