1. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Download Package Now!
  2. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  3. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant here. Do not following these rules will lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.

Cousin of OSW (Open Sim Wheel)

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by Gadget999, Sep 23, 2017.

1. danove_b

danove_b Member

Balance:
    742Coins
    Ratings:
    +26 / 1 / -0
    See the link in previous post.
  2. Gadget999

Gadget999 Active Member

Balance:
    4,611Coins
    Ratings:
    +111 / 4 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino
  3. Frederiksen

Frederiksen New Member

Balance:
    95Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for all of your replies.

Since my budget is only $150USD and based on Alexey saying it's not worth it, I will not buy the treadmill motor. I don’t really have room to experiment.

For a my1020 I can buy the 500w version for $45 and the 1000w for $70. Is it worth the difference?
  4. Gadget999

Gadget999 Active Member

Balance:
    4,611Coins
    Ratings:
    +111 / 4 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino
    I suggest you spend the extra and get the 1kw version

you will have plenty of torque
  5. Czary

Czary New Member

Duty Officer
    Balance:
    229Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 1 / -2
    Hello, I'd like to confirm that STM32F0 Discovery flash memory size (64kB) is too small for this project as the FFB2014-0.99.2.hex is 86 kB, so need to go for the F4 version anyway.
    • Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
  6. danove_b

danove_b Member

Balance:
    742Coins
    Ratings:
    +26 / 1 / -0
    Sorry, I was not clear on what was on my mind here...
    My thought was that you maybe could replace the expensive Simcube system used in the OSW, where the Mige servos are used.

I’ve got Mige 130ST-M100-10 BLDC motor, but I didn’t manage to make it work with ODrive.
    It seems that the current fw doesn’t handle that kind of resistance/inductance.

Hoverboard is still interesting, but I haven't any good idea of how to fit the encoder.
    I spent some hours earlier this week reading about using a optical mouse as a position encoder using a printed pattern on the surface (the wheel side in this case), but It probably will miss position in higher speeds...

Found a encoder solution. Not cheap and easy though....
    https://discourse.odriverobotics.com/t/hoverboard-motor-with-built-in-encoder/790
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
  7. Frederiksen

Frederiksen New Member

Balance:
    95Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I will get the 1000w

How can I calculate the torque figures?

Also how do you suggest I power it?
  8. Gadget999

Gadget999 Active Member

Balance:
    4,611Coins
    Ratings:
    +111 / 4 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino
    All the answers you need are in this thread - I used a IBT-2 and a transformer to drive my wheel
  9. Czary

Czary New Member

Duty Officer
    Balance:
    229Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 1 / -2
    Can we use LM7805 voltage regulator instead of separate 5VDC PSU to power up the h-bridges and SN7404 buffer ?
  10. Gadget999

Gadget999 Active Member

Balance:
    4,611Coins
    Ratings:
    +111 / 4 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino
    Yes or use 5v from the stm32
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. ste94

ste94 New Member

Balance:
    74Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Hello guys, i'm switching my arduino leonardo for an stm32f407vet6 board (the black one). I did all the wiring and the steering wheel feels great compared to the arduino (i have a 2500 ppr encoder which is too much for the arduino) but i have a big problem. I can't save the "Device Setup" values in the MMos software, i've tried everything is mentioned online ( https://docs.google.com/document/d/1s4TOLojNwBZ87DkieeLmKQnGWlJlE3u6NJLsD9uO7vI/edit , , http://ascher-racing.com/wp-content/uploads/OpenSimwheel-Tutorial.pdf ) even running the program as admin, but every time i close it and open it back the PWM, encoder cpr and all the rest are resetted to 0. I don't know how to fix it, did someone here ever run into a problem like this?
  12. Benu

Benu New Member

Balance:
    110Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Back then the question in the odrive community was asked by me. I did not test the odrive with a hoverboard motor. So yes, there is currently no negative report on using a hoverboard motor. I am doing my best it will be a positive report.

My current setup to test if a hoverboard motor qualifies as a DD-Wheel has two STM evaluation boards. A
    - NUCLEO-F303RE (CortexM4) as the control board for around 10€ and a
    - X-NUCLEO-IHM08M1 as the inverter (10-48V and 30A max.) for around 40€
    - a second hand 12V server power supply for 24€
    - a Hoverboard motor 36v 250W from a hoverboard with a broken battery.

Both boards can be plugged together and are programmable with the free STM-Motor Control Workbench (You need some other free tools to compile and upload to the controller board). This combination can control BLDC motors in 6-step or FOC mode. You can attach hall sensors or quadrature encoders.

Currently I am able to run the motor in sensorless mode. Maximum speed with 12V is around 170 rpm. Minimum speed is around 50 rpm. Below that the motor stops. Probably BEMF to weak or inconsistent. Attaching an encoder should help to overcome this issue, I hope.

When attaching an Omron encoder (2000P) the motor moves a bit but does not rotate. The motor is stalled and it is hard to move it. The Workbench UI shows there are 7A going through the coils. No errors reported from the controller board and rpm is signaled as 0. When spinning the encoder shaft I can see the encoder is working both directions and the Workbench UI is showing the rpm.

Next steps will be to work my way through the motor control parameters and figure out what keeps the motor from spinning. When this is resolved I will probably use an
    - AMS AS5306B and an
    - AMS AS5000-MR12-72 magneting ring
    attached to the back of the motor to replace the Omron encoder. The inner diameter of the magnetic ring is a bit larger than the hoverboard motor shaft. In my opinion there is no need to build this into the motor.

Here is an image of the current setup.
    Hoverboard motor setup.JPG

-Benu
  13. Alexey

Alexey Well-Known Member

Electronics Technician
    Balance:
    7,464Coins
    Ratings:
    +575 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Don't focus on getting the motor to spin as this is not equivalent of getting torque from the motor.

This might help you understand: https://www.switchcraft.org/learning/2017/3/15/space-vector-pwm-intro

You MUST know the rotor position to know which phases to activiate in order to produce stationary torque.
    Free running mode will not work as it assumes constant rpm (pulses phases in sequence regardless of rotor position).
  14. Benu

Benu New Member

Balance:
    110Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    That's correct. The rotor position is crucial for this kind of motor control. Especially with low motor rpm or even stall.

STM Workbench should do a (manually triggered) encoder alignment to match the encoder ABI input with the rotor position. But that does not work out for me. The alignment lets the motor twitch once. No error is reported. But starting the motor after that results in another twitch and 7Amps going through the coils. The motor is stalled.

I guess I first have to check if the aligment is done correctly.

Thanks for the URL. A very nice and visual description.