1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Connecting pots to wiper motors

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Building Q&A / FAQ' started by egoexpress, Dec 11, 2010.

1. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    frviana

From your video, I believe you are on the right track. Perhaps now watch as the motor turns , that the pot turns so as it does not move back on itself before the motor has done 1/2 a revolution. I found that and had to change my lever arms and made them longer as the pot was going backwards before the motor had done 1/2 a turn. This created a feedback problem and the motor did not move properly in x-sim. So I made some new levers and moved the motor by hand slowly and watched the pot shaft move. Once I was satisfied with the movement and the pot was not turning back on it self. I hooked it up and set the feedback. By the way, I am running JRK's. Once the feedback was set I ran the motor in that utility program to check that is moved how it should. Once it had, I moved onto x-sim program.
    :cheers:
  2. frviana

frviana New Member

Balance:
    2Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have decided to modify the motor and put a shaft to the back and attach the gear to the back shaft. Done that now, hope the epoxy will be strong enough to hold the back shaft well in place and also the drilling that I made don't make the front shaft weak to the point to break. Waiting the epoxy to cure and tomorrow I will know if it woks well. I will post the results after test it.
  3. Houdiniact

Houdiniact Member

Balance:
    - 10Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello. I like the look of the motors your using. Do they have metal gears inside that casing looks very big and beefy. What motors are those? I'm going to try and move this :

Attached Files:

4. kubing

kubing Member

teacher, Industrial electronic programmer
    Balance:
    350Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  5. Houdiniact

Houdiniact Member

Balance:
    - 10Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thats really great Kubing. What motor did you use? Im nervous about just going out and just grabbing any old wiper motor I would like to start from charted territory in the motor department. What controller would you recommend?
  6. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I spoke at length to a supplier whom tells me that most have plastic gears in side. From constant direction change they will wear and give backlash. I solved the problem myself by putting a $5 strong compression spring on the opposite side to the motor. This created a constant load despite the motor changing direction. No more backlash and worn motors. I chopped two motors out before this idea worked.
    The springs can be seen here on the frex [​IMG]
    and here on the joyrider roll frame. The seat frame did not need it as it had a load on it, being me!
    [​IMG]
    It works and fixed an issue.
  7. kubing

kubing Member

teacher, Industrial electronic programmer
    Balance:
    350Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    no problem...Daihatsu mira motor. i use my own controller.
  8. frviana

frviana New Member

Balance:
    2Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Mine is a Honda Civic motor but old model. I don't know if its that great of motor. Its plastic gear inside but this is not the problem. Here are the things I don't like about them:

1. Difficult to mount as the mount brackets are not even.
    2. If you apply a bit of force you can move it by hand when its turned-off. When its on and I have someone on the seat, if applying 50% power it can spin because the weight applied on it.
    3. The back is not flush clean, it has a bracket to connect the cable so It isn't easy to drill to add a back shaft
    4. Very difficult to isolate the ground from the casing.

I would suggest you to go with a Passat/Golf motor or something stronger like a van or SUV motor.

9. jyrki.j.koivisto

jyrki.j.koivisto New Member

Balance:
    314Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I'd suggest using USB cable when wiring potentiometers. You can get USB extension cables from everywhere and they almost always are of good quality and come shielded. On every USB2.0 compliant cable there is 4 wires plus shield. One could use the extra wire for limit switch purposes, just join 2 microswitch in series via a resistor and you can even get active low or active high signaling on it (depends which way and how you wire it)

Low pass filter capacitor could be calculated too to suit ones needs but something of around 0.1uF-1uF ceramic capacitor will filter most high frequency spikes. If one uses too high value for the filter capacitor it will smooth out small movements altogether and the response gets bad. Some trial and error experiments will get to the ball park.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. EL-CORAZON

EL-CORAZON New Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    372Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Here is how I did it. using rc. sender pot that has a travel about 190degree I think..perfect :D

Attached Files:

11. libory

libory New Member

Balance:
    - 19Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi, I am trying to setup my pots with X-sim and I can't reallly set them up because they jiggles like mad. I have noticed are the wiper motors. As soon I give power to the motors the pot reader in X-sim starts dancing like mad about 5% to 8% from the tant per cent is should be.

I am using a K8055 + Sabretooth . I tried to link linear and rotary pots to the K8055. I got an old joystick and I soldered my pots to the board of this joystick hoping it would go away..... what can I do? any help please... :(
  12. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello, I do not have a K8055, but I suspect it is a PID issue causing this. I run Pololu JRK and had this sort of problem until I sorted the PID.