1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Commercial 2DOF Simulator

Discussion in 'SimTools compatible interfaces' started by TdR, Dec 16, 2011.

1. TdR

TdR New Member

Balance:
    - 0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello,

I am very new to this and have some questions.
    Since i do not have that much time building and programming some DIY Setup,
    i am searching for some finished commercial products to buy.

Ideally compatible with X-Sim or at least some Software which is good configurable.

I do not want to have such a Seat Mover with two actuators in the back, which seems like a massage seat to me..
    There was once this Rock and Ride Seat which i guess would have been very good to simulate Forces.
    Guess it was not the time for such a Product..

So, why is there no similar product on the market ? Why did the Rock and Ride company stopped selling or developing their product any further ?
    Of course for a reasonable price. I have also seen this Blue Tiger but this would be too expensive..

I don´t mind spending some 3000-4000 Euros for a nice Setup, but i can´t find anything that moves like 45°Degrees Left/Right and Front/Rear.

Regards
  2. tonquites

tonquites Member

Balance:
    280Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  3. prosimu

prosimu Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    - 870Coins
    Ratings:
    +25 / 1 / -1
    Did you try a Seat Mover?
  4. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Its a bit hard to try different simulators unless you have friends whom have them, or pay to hire one out.
    Look at the videos posted and see if that helps you decision.
  5. Henning Piez

Henning Piez Member

Balance:
    17Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    AW: Commercial 2DOF Simulator

Where are you from Three Dee Rigid / TDR?

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9000 mit Tapatalk
  6. TdR

TdR New Member

Balance:
    - 0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi,

Well i have seen the Blue Tiger and it is way too expensive.

@prosimu.com
    No i haven´t tried a Seat Mover (is there a Name for it ? :)), but i _think_ especially in long Curves you cannot get the full Experience since it doesn´t tilt much.
    I guess for fast changes and little Angles this is quite funny, but far away from a Simulation.

Yes, would be best to try some out, but a little bit expensive to order or hire.
    The only Experience i have is with a Venturer in an Amusement Park. This is really nice since the Angles are somewhat about 45°.

As i said, this R´n´R Simulator did quite a good job with the Angles, but i guess not with the Electronics/Software.

Or is there any Disadvantage with real tilting Simulators ?
    There has to be a Reason why no company builds this kind of Seats.. Too expensive (like theForceDynamics) ?

btw: I am from Austria, so no big Exhibitions where this kind of Entertainment is shown. And sorry no, i do not own some RC Heli :)

Regards
  7. mad_marty

mad_marty Member

Machinist
    Balance:
    709Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I discussed the same topic with somebody who is a seatmover expert and he said that the usual home-use solutions are to weak to simulate proper g-forces for racing. They are not strong, accurate and fast enough to do angels near 45°. According to him they just feel wrong. You can use them for fly-sims where slower motions are used. For racing the best payable compromise are seatmovers which have small angels but are fast and accurate.
  8. Roadster2

Roadster2 Member

Balance:
    1,194Coins
    Ratings:
    +42 / 2 / -0
    I can see that you might want a 45 degree angle tilt for a flight simulator but nowhere near this for a race car simulator. Some of the commercial simulators I have seen tilt side to side way too much and this does feel wrong. It's maybe Ok to sit in for a few minutes at an exhibition but race cars simply don't move this much.
  9. mad_marty

mad_marty Member

Machinist
    Balance:
    709Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Maybe 45° degree is to much but in this case the tilt isnt meant to simulate only the movement of the car but to simulate the g-forces. You should try a big simulator with closed cabin then you would understand how it works. It's a really an awesome experience how real the simulated g-forces can feel but its hard to develop a payable, fast moving home-use g-force simulator. I guess even the the big simulator i tried is to inert and not accurate enough for sim-racing but in general this kind of brain-fooling-principle works better than any else motion-sim i can imagine.
    I drove a simulated rollercoaster and i never would have guessed that a simulated loop can feel so loopy ;-)

edit: here is an example:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-9cbQQv ... re=related
  10. Roadster2

Roadster2 Member

Balance:
    1,194Coins
    Ratings:
    +42 / 2 / -0
    I appreciate what you're saying but unless you have the budget for a Williams, or Red Bull type simulator you're never going to get anywhere near reproducing the real g-force. The 'home' type motion simulators can go some way to fooling the brain into thinking the body is feeling some slight g-force but for this you really need something like the Simxperience Rear Traction Loss, where the seat moves slightly sideways.
    Running a race car simulator with too much tilt feels more like you're off the track and driving along the banking. Quite a few of the platform type motion units tilt a maximum of 19-20 degrees each way. With regard to the D-Box systems they're keen to let you know how much g-force their units can 'simulate' on acceleration but you try finding out what the maximum tilt angle is !
  11. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have to agree with Roadster here, commercial units even like d-box do not move that far either. A motion simulator with give you some feeling of driving a real vehicle, and your brain is fooled into thinking you are under g-force. Even on mine, and it does not have a drift motion , I feel as though I am drifting in a game like dirt2 -3 because my brain is fooled into thinking I am drifting, so I move my body in the seat to compensate.
    Obviously a drift frame underneath would simulate this more.
    I should ask if you have actually been in a real race car either as passenger or driver. The car may feel like its going to flip over around a corner , but it really is not moving that much in angle. Correct me if I am wrong though.
    If you would like a sim with 40-45 deg angle, go ahead an build one. Yes it is a lot of fun, but we are trying to make our s a realistic as we can, within budget.
    :cheers:
  12. MAYAman

MAYAman New Member

Balance:
    97Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I have a Dbox 2 actuator system and it works pretty brilliant into tricking your brain. It's not just the movement but the transducers in the thing, they are super powerful and work great. You could also check out joyride, they support more games than anybody, over 70.
  13. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks, however here is where we make our own simulators as we cannot afford the HUGE price for a commercial built unit.
  14. mad_marty

mad_marty Member

Machinist
    Balance:
    709Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Again, the angle isn't meant to simulate an actual angle. It's 90% meant to simulate inert force. In a car you are being pressed to the outside of the turn and against the side of your seat while cornering. Basically it is the same if you are being tilted, you are being pressed to the side of your seat. The big difference is that the earth's gravitation is doing the force and not the inert force of driving through a turn. If you close your eyes the feeling is the same. The tilt-angle is so to speak an unavoidable side effect which easily gets more than it would be in reality if you want to imitate real g-force. The g-forces made by the tilt-angle in usual diy motion rigs isn't as strong as the real invert force would be. In a closed box it is much easier to get fooled because you don't see static walls around but you see a screen including the movement and you think you don't feel an angle but g-forces. For me the first ride on a closed simulator was eye-opening and really funny when I discovered how it works.
  15. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well true, i haven tried a closed in sim. Never bothered to do that with mine.
    I now run a 32 monitor in a fairly dark lit room, so I tend to focus on screen and ignore everything else around me....
  16. cruzebabuze

cruzebabuze Active Member

Balance:
    135Coins
    Ratings:
    +41 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    I have built a few motion sim frmo seat mover to much bigger, and I used to race shifter karts and now I am racing formula F600 and I have to agree that the small sim are good for roller coaster but not for racing. So one day I decided to buy an old sega motion arcade from the late 90's. A g-loc arcade with motion. I completely gut it out and re-wired it with arduino board and runs it around 40v and VR. That thing is simply amazing, much better than any sim I have used before and it is close enough for me to my formula car. The hardware never crashed and it is very accurate with good sliding but the key was to take hours to find proper setting. I would advice anyone that can get their hands on a motion g-loc to buy it right away.