1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Clever ways to save some $

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Building Q&A / FAQ' started by matthew loomis, Jun 17, 2017.

1. matthew loomis

matthew loomis Member

Balance:
    603Coins
    Ratings:
    +82 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    As a DIY community, many of us are looking for budget friendly ways to do things. Started a list of some of the clever ideas I found around here. Feel free to add yours or the ones you find useful.

Motors & gearboxes

[​IMG]
    First the great wiper motor. 12 or 24v needs ground isolation. Easy to find. The heart of the budget diy.

[​IMG]
    Wheelchair motors. Bigger gearbox, more power. Mostly 24 volt. Needs strong controller and special power supply.

Power supplies

[​IMG]
    Pc power supply.
    [​IMG]
    Server power supply.
    [​IMG]
    Led Power supplies

Odds and ends.

[​IMG]
    Driveshaft joint. Great for seat mounts.
    [​IMG]
    Tie rods. Mounting motor to seat. Find on tractors, atvs

[​IMG]
    Bicycle cranks. Good for motor arms.

[​IMG]
    Old exercise equipment. Good metal, adjustable stuff, hard bolts. Great stuff for a frame.

Places to find stuff.
    Auto junkyard, scrap recycling yards, auto and atv service shops, and my favorite... garbage night!
    • Informative Informative x 3
  2. Zed

Zed VR Simming w/Reverb Gold Contributor

Balance:
    5,834Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,043 / 4 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK
    That tip on the exercise equipment is a good one! (And it puts exercise equipment to its proper use - sitting relaxation and enjoyment! :grin )

Also, it's a semi-expensive up front investment, but a 3D printer has allowed me to take my sim up a few notches in quality and finish as well as paid for itself in machining costs had I had to get the parts machined in a commercial machine shop. It's avoided delays, and has made it easy to prototype and test out ideas. And it's just plain fun to go from idea to finished part in your hands in just a matter of hours.
    • Agree Agree x 2