1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Can the Jrk 12v12 control a more powerful motor driver?

Discussion in 'SimTools compatible interfaces' started by tahustvedt, Dec 3, 2011.

1. EL-CORAZON

EL-CORAZON New Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    372Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    playing Richard burns..what are you playing? :hi:
  2. tahustvedt

tahustvedt Member

Balance:
    62Coins
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    iRacing and VRC Pro (RC car sim).
  3. tahustvedt

tahustvedt Member

Balance:
    62Coins
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    I got the T-Max winch today. It runs, but is pretty noisy. I haven't disassembled it yet, I want to compare the noise of the drivetrain to the one you guys have been using first and will sell the one I won't use. The specifications state 227 kg @ 12V / 30 A on the first wire rope layer. If I use a 25 cm long arm this translates into 136,8°/second (465 mm movement per seconds) and 18 kg of force at the mid point. The strength will increase towards the end points of course due to the geometry og the arm angle, which is perfect since my sim will want to return to center, with a higher force the farther out to either side it goes. This should be strong enough and fast enough to move my rig. If I can push the Jrk to handle for example 60 A peak currents with heatsinks and a fan I will double the available peak force and reduce the speed to 110°/second (410 mm per second).
  4. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The jrks can handle quite a bit of peak, recommended is 30 amps max with heat sinks and fans. You could set the current max at unlimited so you could get your 60 amps, but do so at your own risk and expense, meaning if you blow one to bits, do not blame me.
  5. tahustvedt

tahustvedt Member

Balance:
    62Coins
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Got the other winch today. It's way bigger than the T-max, and a little slower. I'll take it apart later.
  6. tahustvedt

tahustvedt Member

Balance:
    62Coins
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    I think I will sell the T-max and use the other one because the T-max is so noisy. The T-max would probably be best had it not been for the noise. I can CNC-cut new gears for the other winch from aluminum to change the gear ratio and reduce backlash if I need to. It would probably be perfect at 24 V.
  7. tahustvedt

tahustvedt Member

Balance:
    62Coins
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Here's my solution to feedback. I used a 10x rotation 50 kΩ potensiometer and CNC-milled a 16 tooth module 2 gear that press-fits on the shaft. I then drilled an oversize hole in the appropriate position on the winch and installed, making sure the mest was right. This gives a 19,38:1 gear ratio from the output to the potensiometer, so 9,69 rotations on the pot for a half rotation on the actuator. I'll solder it together with some connectors and test later.

If you're wondering where the clutch is, I swapped the output gear and the clutch gear. That way I save weight and reduce complexity. the output arm will be attached directly to the output gear, not the shaft.

Attached Files:

8. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Great job there! All hail the winch motors! :clap:
  9. tahustvedt

tahustvedt Member

Balance:
    62Coins
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Thanks.

I just thought of something. The winch motors are relatively slow, but that might not be a big problem when driving in my sim, because it's designed to use the movement to strengthen the sense of G-forces, so as it's pushing me to the side to tilt me, it's applying G-forces in the correct direction. For example, since my pivot is high above my head (instead of under the seat like most people use), it'll be pushing me to the left when I'm turning left in the sim, as well as tilting me towards the right. It'll be interesting to see how it works.
  10. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    if you are using the famous jrk, then fiddle with the PID settings, that may give you some speed in the motors, start with low number in p section, there are 2 numbers, the lower number helps with speed (start low here) and the upper number helps with reducing motor oscillation and make it a bit smoother moving. Leave i at 0/3 and fiddle with d to stop overshoot. I cannot advise on numbers here, trial and error as each motor is different. Set it up, fiddle with PID numbers and use the slider in jrk utility to test. That's what I did, and 6 hours later I got a fairly steady movement on my motors, granted I am using big worm gear motors though.
  11. tahustvedt

tahustvedt Member

Balance:
    62Coins
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Alright. I'll do that when I have a working rig. I might start cutting the parts on tuesday.
  12. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    start with pid of 2/2 0/3 1/1, work on p and d numbers.

p is for motor speed and smoothness, d is for stopping the motor after it moves.
  13. tahustvedt

tahustvedt Member

Balance:
    62Coins
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
  14. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  15. tahustvedt

tahustvedt Member

Balance:
    62Coins
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    I'm just using a battery for this test. 15 V
  16. tahustvedt

tahustvedt Member

Balance:
    62Coins
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    I have an idea for eliminating the backlash completely, but I don't think it's necessary for the simulation, but it might sound less clangy when it changes direction. I'll have to mill some new adjustable bearing blocks for one of the shafts.
  17. value1

value1 Nerd SimAxe Beta Tester SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

Balance:
    14,495Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,319 / 11 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, Joyrider
    Consider mounting the potentiometer to the platform rather than the winch. If you later change the motor or the gear, you don't have to go through the hassle of calibration again.
    Nice re-arrangement of the gear wheels!
    If you want to have real acceleration and rotation values have a look here. I measured the values with an SD746 3D accelerometer/3D gyroscope and took video footage. In a second step I drove the same track with rFactor (guided by the video footage) and compared the game's accelerations with the real accelerations. Very close :)
    It appears that by aligning the g-vector (by tilting the platform) with the resulting acceleration vector from the in-game data, a good simulation should be possible – even with the relatively slow movements of the platform. To be proven though…
  18. tahustvedt

tahustvedt Member

Balance:
    62Coins
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    I made a 3D model of the winch. I attached the model as a 3ds file for anyone else who wants to use a winch.

Attached Files:

19. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    nice set up, I would have used them as well, but I could not. I had to fit motors in a restricted height, hence the motors I am testing.
  20. tahustvedt

tahustvedt Member

Balance:
    62Coins
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    The size is a problem, but since I'm still at the CAD stage I can design the rig around them.