1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Can the Jrk 12v12 control a more powerful motor driver?

Discussion in 'SimTools compatible interfaces' started by tahustvedt, Dec 3, 2011.

1. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Aldoz, the motor is from neither, its a generic motor, as such http://www.motiondynamics.com.au/worm-d ... orque.html Read the link!
  2. kubing

kubing Member

teacher, Industrial electronic programmer
    Balance:
    350Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    looks great so far. :D
  3. AldoZ

AldoZ Member

Pc Shop
    Balance:
    366Coins
    Ratings:
    +6 / 1 / -0
    :? damn.. so It's really slow.. I assume that to obtain the same winch speed (so and so 3 secs to do a complete turn) I'm supposed to use a very long arm.. (too long to have a correct design machine..) correct?
    grrr was almost the perfect motor for that price!! :(
    Please, someone find a brushed 12v DC motor more fast with same torque!!! :blush:

Mate, just only 20Nm Torque for that price?? Please, go to some junkyard to get some of these (wiper) at really cheap price!!.

I am really determined to find a Brushed 12v DC motor fast and powerful!!
    Probably it's impossible to combine speed to a torque as the motor on the link I posted (350 Nm / 3569 Kg-cm) but I am pretty sure we can find some of a bit less power (but with similar winch torque) but FAST!! :happy:

PS:
    @bsft : In your avatar photo is the Duke? :clap:
  4. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Aldoz, these motors are f...ing powerful! I am running them and they are really solid motion! Ignore the torque rating, they are tough! I will take a video soon of them in action. waaaaayyy better than wipers by far!
    Yes , thats the duke....Lets rock!
  5. tahustvedt

tahustvedt Member

Balance:
    62Coins
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Aldoz, you will probably not find a motor that has the same torque as the winch motor AND is faster unless you run a higher voltage or current, or go brushless. Brushless will have a higher efficiency, but the difference will probably not be that great. You will have to run a higher voltage or current to achieve substantially more speed because you need more power to do it.

The specs of a motor are not absolute limits. they are just ratings at a certail voltage and load. I think most industrial electric motors will do way more work than specified if you let them.
  6. value1

value1 Nerd SimAxe Beta Tester SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

Balance:
    14,504Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,319 / 11 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, Joyrider
    Great information and links! I haven't seen performance curves of such a motor before. In the meantimeI have been looking around I have found performance curves of the Tarp motors at the bottom of the page here. They provide 170 Nm torque – if you can afford them to pull currents like 240 Amps…
    At the end, with a jrk, one has 22 A * 12 V = 240 W max and the output power is a question of the efficiency of the motor. With the gear/lever you can then adjust the torque/speed to the right level.
    We probably need to understand (well, me at least, being very data oriented ;D ) what the most efficiency motors (i.e. input power vs output power) are. The mentioned worm drive motors pull 240 W (20A) and provide 120 W on the shaft.
  7. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    If you can afford 3 phase 240 volt motors, then use them. As for 12v, several people have tried different options with great success. The winch motors lift Aldoz sim, so disregarding the specs, they do the job,
    The motors I use now have some fierce grunt and work well under my seat mover.
    The jkrs are a good board, they will handle more than the advertised 30 amps of max current, although I would not throw 240 amps through them. The trick is getting the PID settings right. I spent 3 hours last night getting my new motors running and also with thanks and help to Eaorobbie for his guidance.
    If you are looking for a suitable 12v motor, watch the videos and ask questions directly to the builder.
  8. tahustvedt

tahustvedt Member

Balance:
    62Coins
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    I got my JRK 12v12 boards the other day, and boy are they small. :D I also received a couple of new wiper motors. I have enough parts to trial run the electronics now. I'll start a build thread and post CAD drawings of my sim soon.
  9. AldoZ

AldoZ Member

Pc Shop
    Balance:
    366Coins
    Ratings:
    +6 / 1 / -0
    Good thread here dudes! :cheers:

@bsft: mmm I am really curious about the power of this motor!
    From my neglicence about motors specs, so I can use a very primitive but good example to understand the power of a motor :
    To look how many wheight a stirrup mounted in a motor can lift.

Please look at the attached pic.
    trasformazione_grandezze.jpg

The winch with 22.5 Amps can lift so and so 80kg with no particular problems.
    So, if you use this example to make me understand the power of your motor then how many wheight your motor can lift?

About the motor I am searching, all right, must be compatible with the little monster, the Jrk12v12!! So brushed, 12V, max 30amps, DC

PS:
    The Duke will be FOREVER!! ;)
  10. tahustvedt

tahustvedt Member

Balance:
    62Coins
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    It depends how long the lever is.

The specs aren't clear on this, but if the motor/gearbox produces a torque of 20 Nm at 16 A, then it has a kt of 1,25 Nm/A. With a 10 cm long lever on the shaft it will then lift 1,27 kg per A max, or 38,26 kg at 30 A.
  11. tahustvedt

tahustvedt Member

Balance:
    62Coins
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Testing the Jrk with a wiper motor and a potmeter now, and it works, and responds to data from L4S. :)
  12. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    the lever on mine I made, in this case centre to centre of 45mm. As I am not lifting a frame like Aldoz, I am not sure.
    These motors have good potential, but really would need a BIG 12v h-bridge . The jrk does very well. I set mine to 0 on the max current so it gets unlimited. The jrks are fine, having heatsinks and fans on them. I figure this motor would use about 32-36 amps spikes on direction change. As said, it has some great motion, very snappy. I have not taken a video yet, been busy.
    I am not planning to try these motors for sheer lift. I'd say they would do it though.
    Aldoz, you may be better with a winch as you are lifting, unless you design some form of lever system for the motor I am using.
    All part of the development process.

hail to the king, baby
  13. tahustvedt

tahustvedt Member

Balance:
    62Coins
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    I got the other winch for $50. Not bad. :)
  14. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Cool, lets see what you can crank with that! Hopefully to the same success as Eaorobbie and Aldoz.
  15. value1

value1 Nerd SimAxe Beta Tester SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

Balance:
    14,504Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,319 / 11 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, Joyrider
    Thanks for mentioning this! I had a funny feeling that adjusting the PID settings will be crucial. Your statement reassures me to dedicate some time to that and not to lose my temper.
    And BTW the reason why I am still here is that I have seen your project, the ones of Thanos, AldoZ, Timo, eaorobbie and others, who have built successfully working motion platforms with 12V! Fantastic!
    :clap:
  16. AldoZ

AldoZ Member

Pc Shop
    Balance:
    366Coins
    Ratings:
    +6 / 1 / -0
    The PID it's a really hard matter mate! :( Please refer here if you find some good PID trick! here my jrk PID configuration:
    PID.jpg

PS: warning dudes! I tried 2 type of winches. The first was not good, it have a double way friction gear that don't permit to block good the gears. The second one have a only one way friction gear; this permit to me to tighten good the friction to have my gears blocked and stables. This is crucial if you making a 3dof. if I continued to use the first type of winch I should obtain a lot of bad problems.... Lucky I find the other type of winch (the shape is identical eh) that permit me to block the gears.
    Example : With a blocked gears I can obtain my 3 motors OFF but mantaining the wheight of the entire structure. With the first type of whinches so these can't mantain the wheight when they are off. Just when they are ON they can (with a lot of effort) support the wheight of the structure!

PS2: I want a new pc to play the duke again.. a lot of time pass away.. :blush:
  17. tahustvedt

tahustvedt Member

Balance:
    62Coins
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    I'm doing some experiments with PID now.

You don't have to type in the fractions. Just ype in the result after =.

Proportional.
    If I type in a high value as the result, say 60, you get very abrupt acceleration. 0,3 gives very smooth operation, yet is able to reach full speed.

Integral.
    If I type in anything higher than 0, the motor will never stop completely. A low value of 0,1 gives a low minimum speed. A high value gives a high minimum speed. It can't be stopped before changing direction, but will change direction abruptly from speed.

Derivative.
    Seems to make it stutter at low speed. Could be more sensitive to feedback. 0,1 gives the smoothest operation for my unloaded motor.

Integral limit.
    A high value of 32767 (maximum) gives a delay and slow acceleration at direction changes.

The behaviour is probably different under load. My motor is sitting on the desk and the feedpack pot is in my hand to check the response.
  18. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    True there, you would better adjusting PID with a frame built.
    For wiper motors, I use 2/2 0/3 1/1, it worked well so I did not mess with it more.
    With the new big motors I had to use 17/7 0/3 6/12. The first set of numbers are high to slow the motor so as I do not put too much strain in the jrk. And also to slow the motor a bit overall, It has some fierce jolt at a lower p number. The i number I left as is, the d number I had to fiddle with to smooth the movement of the motor in relation to the p number.
    This is a BIG learning curve that even I a, still working out.
  19. EL-CORAZON

EL-CORAZON New Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    372Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Hello Lynxman :) tired of rc building?..driving my jrk 12. 6 month now very god controller .I am using pots from an rc transmitter.
    and regular wipers for my car sim
  20. tahustvedt

tahustvedt Member

Balance:
    62Coins
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, I'm into cycling and sim racing right now. :)