1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Can the Jrk 12v12 control a more powerful motor driver?

Discussion in 'SimTools compatible interfaces' started by tahustvedt, Dec 3, 2011.

1. tahustvedt

tahustvedt Member

Balance:
    62Coins
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    I bought a couple of Pololu Jrk 12v12 boards and some wiper motors, but I know from experience that I'm always going to want to upgrade my projects. Can the Jrk 12v12 control a more powerful motor controller/H-bridge if I want to upgrade, like the Simple High-Power Motor Controller 18v25 or other powerful controllers? Can the Jrk 12v12 only output TTL, or PWM as well? I will probably want to use higher voltage later on as I build new actuators. I have no idea what TTL is, to be honest, so I don't know if it's sufficient.
  2. jyrki.j.koivisto

jyrki.j.koivisto New Member

Balance:
    314Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
  3. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello, the JRK is a tough little board, that will happily run at 22.5 amps max current output , although it has a 30 amp peak.
    The popular choice of motor is a 12 volt winch motor.
    Refer to posts by Aldoz and Eaorobbie. They both use 12 volt winch motors and jrks.
    The motors are out of these http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online ... escription
    Have a look at how these things move http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeyQC2lW ... r_embedded
    They use the motor and existing gearing on them. A bit noisy , but they do the job well!
    I have 2 winch motors to fit under my sim, as time allows.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. tahustvedt

tahustvedt Member

Balance:
    62Coins
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Wow. Those winch motors are pretty impressive. Another alternative might be the tarp winch motors.

My planned simrig is a little out of the ordinary, with the axis point 800 mm above my head to achieve realistic forces for racing, so the actuators need to move a lot of mass, ideally with 300 mm movement range, so the wipers wil just be for temporary proof of concept use. I'll start a thread soon.
  5. tahustvedt

tahustvedt Member

Balance:
    62Coins
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    I found a place that sells those same winches nearby. Is there a lot of backlash in the gear train of those units?
  6. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Not that I know of, just some noise.
  7. AldoZ

AldoZ Member

Pc Shop
    Balance:
    366Coins
    Ratings:
    +6 / 1 / -0
    Hi dudes and hi bsft.
    unfortunately the problem about the backlash exist (If I understand what you mean for backlash).
    Example:
    1) My motor is in position 1.
    2) I want to move it in position 22
    3) X-SIM send the order to jrk and my motor start to move
    4) My motor reach the position 22 so X-SIM send the stop order to the jrk
    5) Jrk stop the motor
    6) The whinch gears backlash and the high power inertia make the motor continue his run for a while
    7) When backlash finish I get my motor in position 24

This is not a dramatic and huge problem eh!
    You can try to fix it using dead zones, PID, motor settings and X-SIM configurations to reduce or better, to hide the backlash effect.
    More fast the motor is more backlash effect you obtain.

In other words, if you use your motor configuration at half of speed that you can see in my last vid so you will obtain little backlash effect.
    But if you want speed and power so it's obvious you will get backlash effect from the gears of the winch.
    While you use winch you will get this problem but I repeat, it's not the baddest problem in the world relating with a whinch motor.
    The real bad problem about a whinc motor is that this thing it's NOT born to do this work (motor ahead, motor reverse, again motor ahead and again stop and go to reverse.. and again and again..)
    I am in full test mode in these days to know how many stress can these gears (and the main motor arm) can suffer without damages.
    It's the final battle. If after all these tests I will obtain no damages or deterioration of the gears so I will says yes! the machine can go! :)
  8. tahustvedt

tahustvedt Member

Balance:
    62Coins
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for insight. I'll give it a go. By backlash I mean slop in the gear train. My motors will not be lifting the sim vertically, but will be pushing it back and forth, so I'm concerned the backlash will cause slight hunting around the middle point. If I use a long arm to achieve the movement I need any backlash will be exacerbated as well. But hey. Gotta try something. :)
  9. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have destroyed a few wiper motors so far, and they have plastic gearing. If you want to avoid backlash and are not lifting vertically like aldoz, try fitting a compression spring to help hold some pressure on the motor. see photos.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    springs fitted on either sim have helped reduce overall backlash.
    This may help.
    Cheers, David.
  10. eaorobbie

eaorobbie Well-Known Member SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,400Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, SimforceGT, 6DOF
    not slop notice been running mine for nearly 18 months now.
    Jrks still alive, been feeding a constant 20amps at them.
    But any strong 12v motor will work just remember the constant amps for the card is only 12amps but will in short burst take upto 30amps, with a litlle heat being produced.
    2 of us run the winichs and another coming, so for a cheap motor 100 bucks i think they a good thing. Plus electronics and motor, pot for feedback means a complete actuator to run a sim is down to about $220 - $250, pretty hard to beat.
  11. AldoZ

AldoZ Member

Pc Shop
    Balance:
    366Coins
    Ratings:
    +6 / 1 / -0
    Hey mate! a lot of time without your news! I am happy to see you again here :highfive:
    I am still running with jrk (22.5 amps as suggested by bsft) and winches too but I get a damn bad damage to the gear teeth (the gear where I join the pot)

My fault, I insisted with the old weak under dais with the new mechanical configuration, (a bit less 30 degrees inclination and more power and speed) since I get a mechanical damage :??
    Obviously now I am using a new more strenght under dais for my new mechanical configuration.

I am trying to repair the damage but I already pre order a new winch 'cause I think will be really hard to repair a damage as this (really micro damage but sufficient to block hard and violently the motor).
    :hi:
  12. tahustvedt

tahustvedt Member

Balance:
    62Coins
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
  13. eaorobbie

eaorobbie Well-Known Member SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,400Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, SimforceGT, 6DOF
    First one is way too slow in action and expensive,
    The other is exactly the type aldoz and I use works well no plastic inside and at $99 each cheap as, stuffs up theow it out and grab another. Plus ya can get new parts for it direct from china, a universal winch sold all over the world, why it was my choice of motor, easy enough for someone trying to get their build underway to find in their local shops.
    Bsft looking at a stronger wiper motor at the moment, Flight sim Guys use them. Maybe he will post some details on them for us.
    :hi:

p.s Love ya work Aldoz ya still blow me away with a JRK 3DOF Unit, Rock on.
  14. tahustvedt

tahustvedt Member

Balance:
    62Coins
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Ok. I got it very cheap, less than $99 including norwegian tax (25%). The slow speed might not be a problem if it's strong, since I'll need to use a long arm to get the large range of movement I need.
  15. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  16. AldoZ

AldoZ Member

Pc Shop
    Balance:
    366Coins
    Ratings:
    +6 / 1 / -0
    Hi all!
    eaorobbie I remember to you that without your great help and your winch idea I could never do my 3dof! :)

To all :
    I see the bsft motor configuration :
    No Load Current: 1.8 Amps
    Working Voltage: 12-16V Volts DC
    Peak Torque: 20 Nm (Newton Meters)
    Motor Speed: 3600 RPM/160-180 RPM at Gearbox
    Rated Current: 16 Amps

Know someone how many Peak Torque (newton meters) have a winch (so motor+winch gears)?
    I am really curious to know If the bsft motor can reach the great winch torque performance!

And, somebody know how to calculate the torque of a motor ?
  17. tahustvedt

tahustvedt Member

Balance:
    62Coins
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    The winch is probably a lot stronger, because it has a lower output shaft rpm. The winch has ~20 rpm on the shaft, doesn't it? (1800 mm/min cable pull speed around a 94 mm circumferance drum. Assuming one full rotation takes 3 sec?)

You can calculate it with assumtions of how large the diameter of the cable drum is at the time of testing. If the winch can pull 900 kg (8820 N) and the cable is ~30 mm from the center of the cable drum at the time. 8820N x 0,03m=264,6 Nm. This means it can lift 27 kg with a 100 cm long arm, and 108 kg with a 25 cm long arm.
  18. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello chaps, both motors would have their advantages.
    Winch motor setup would have more lift for sure, a big wiper style motor would have more jerky grunt at a lower range of movement.
    I looked at both for a suitable motor replacement for good ol' windscreen wiper motors.
    However, there was a need to fit them under the seat frame of my seat mover - frex, and not behind.
    Thanks to Eaorobbie and Mercury8888 for their help on this one.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

http://www.motiondynamics.com.au/worm-d ... orque.html

They just fit underneath and have some serious grunt!
    There is a 12mm drive bolt hole, so you can fit what ever lever size you like. They are 12 volts so the good ol' JRK will run them...just.I run my boards at 23 amps peak, so I am pushing my luck there. I may through some bigger h-bridge boards on later to smash the motors some more. Although they shake a heck of a lot more as compared to normal wiper motors.
    They are earth isolated, so no need to find and chop earth wiring.
    I am told the gearing is of an industrial strength plastic. I have spent some time with plastics and I know some are as strong as steel. The motor inside is sleeved and has good bearings in it.
    it is quiet (sorry winch motor boys).
    I think they may have the capacity to lift, but not as much as a winch motor, so Aldoz, stay with what you have.
    I will now test them as often as I can and see actually how long they last.
    Ahh the never ending development.....and cost..... ;D
  19. AldoZ

AldoZ Member

Pc Shop
    Balance:
    366Coins
    Ratings:
    +6 / 1 / -0
    Very very interesting, thank you.

I find this motor, please take all you a look:
    http://www.ebay.it/itm/MOTORE-ELETT...t=Elettronica_Industriale&hash=item4ab1860149

The description is in Italian but you can easly see the Coppia max: 350 Nm (3569 Kg-cm)
    so in english Max torque
    Then this motor is more power than a winch? Seems yes!
    You can notice the big metal reduction..
    What do you all think about it???
    please tahustvedt make some calcs to know if is fast as a winch or slowest!! :blush:

@bsft : your new motor is a wiper from truck or a normal car wiper?
  20. tahustvedt

tahustvedt Member

Balance:
    62Coins
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    It says a 12V - 0,7 giri/min, which I assume means 0,7 rpm at 12 V. If that's the case then a full revolution of the shaft takes 86 seconds. :) That's why it has so much torque. It's not necessarilly more powerful, but it's stronger. Shaft power is a function of rpm/torque (speed/force).