1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Question Can anyone ID these motors?

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Building Q&A / FAQ' started by Moe Colontonio, Jan 12, 2021.

1. Moe Colontonio

Moe Colontonio Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    750Coins
    Ratings:
    +30 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    I've got 4 of these motors that I salvaged from another project. They have no markings on them, but I'd like to use them to build a G seat.

I've currently got a 5dof using SCN60s that I scratch built, but I know nothing about stepper motors. I've done some poking around, but not really sure where to start here. How can I find out what I need to power and drive them?

The fabrication end of it will be no problem, but controlling the motors I'm clueless.

TIA

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 12, 2021
  2. Gadget999

Gadget999 Well-Known Member

Balance:
    11,610Coins
    Ratings:
    +458 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    they look like stepper motors with built in encoder and gearbox

you wont be able to control them using a normal pid controller so they will have to step small amounts one at a time to travel from a to b

however there may be a way to make them step faster - i know some guys have tried using them on DD wheels and power the coils differently
  3. Moe Colontonio

Balance:
    750Coins
    Ratings:
    +30 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    Sorry I had a typo up there, I'm using them to build a G seat. Not looking for crazy speed, just high holding torque. ..
  4. Sverenja

Sverenja New Member

Balance:
    630Coins
    Ratings:
    +12 / 1 / -0
    Heya,
    looks like a NEMA 23 sized stepper with a Trinamic TMCS-28 style 9pin encoder in the back (I hope it's held on there with more than just hot snot). Gearbox is probably somewhere in the range of 12:1 to 20:1 judging by the size.

If you just want to drive it as a normal stepper, every stepper motor controller should do. If you want to drive it in a closed loop config like a servo you need a controller (e.g. a board with a Trinamic 4361A controller) that can interpret the signal of that encoder.

Can't add links yet, but Trinamic has some blogposts how to do it with an Arduino and one of their controller boards. There is also a standalone board with USB (TMCM-1316).

Edit: Ha! I knew I had a datasheet (see attachement) for a controller of this style on my HDD somewhere. Even looks like the one you have with those ears for the screws.

Unfortunately that's as far as my knowledge goes. I have a very similar motor somewhere in a box in the basement that I wanted to use for a CNC, but never really started on that project aside from buying two steppers ...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
  5. Moe Colontonio

Balance:
    750Coins
    Ratings:
    +30 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    Thank you, I was wondering what that thing on the back did. I assumed it was some type of senor that reports the shaft position. So what does it do? I have the controllers encased in a plain black box, I'm gonna open that up and take a peek when I get a min.

I need to drive 6 of these, 4 for the G-Seat, and 2 for the belt tensioner.
  6. noSaint

noSaint New Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    160Coins
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Here is a stepper motor simple project using this sensor/encoder. Maybe not the same model encoder but...

• Like Like x 1