1. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Download Package Now!
  2. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  3. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant here. Do not following these rules will lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.

Question Can an Arduino used as a game controller receive inputs from simtools?

Discussion in 'SimTools compatible interfaces' started by RiftFlyer, Nov 8, 2018.

1. RiftFlyer

RiftFlyer Active Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    1,269Coins
    Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor
    I have started planning a little side project for a sim peripheral and it will need to be seen as a game controller in windows. I’ll be using a teensey 2 board but could change that to a larger Arduino if need be. Once recognized as a game controller in windows can simtools (Game Dash specifically) still communicate with the board? I’m not much of a programmer so not sure if I need to run a second usb and board for the game output.
  2. BlazinH

BlazinH Well-Known Member SimTools 2.0 Beta Tester

Balance:
    11,765Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,418 / 29 / -1
    I think you mean once configured as a game controller in windows can it also still be a serial com device. I don't believe it can but I don't have hands on experience.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
  3. RiftFlyer

Balance:
    1,269Coins
    Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor
    Ok that’ll make things trickier. Thanks for the reply. As an alternative i’ll look into using two arduinos connected to the same switch circuit. One to act as a usb game controller and the second for serial communication with Game Dash.
  4. RiftFlyer

Balance:
    1,269Coins
    Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor
    I’ve decided to use an Arduino Leonardo as the game controller board and an Uno as the game dash board. I’ll use i2c for communication between them. I think I have the protocol and syntax worked out. Thanks again.