1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Showroom Building my SCN5 race rig.

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by Rinus janssens, Nov 25, 2013.

1. yobuddy

yobuddy Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator SimAxe Beta Tester SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

Computer Technician
    Balance:
    48,212Coins
    Ratings:
    +5,038 / 16 / -0
    Start with these settings:
    434.png

Then add a little pitch and roll and even heave if you want.
    For a seat mover, try to keep the total % used of an axis at 120%.
    Like in the pic above.
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Rinus janssens

Rinus janssens Active Member

environmental construction
    Balance:
    2,153Coins
    Ratings:
    +87 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    SCN5
    Wow Yobuddy This is a so much different feeling.....:D only and with only these two setting wow !!!! You got my hooked....
    Simtools it is :thumbs:grin

Still I have some questions

Do I have to put the forces in the first two axis or can I put them for example in axis 3 and 4
    and
    Do I have to set the direction (DIR) of the axis with every force or only with Pitch and Sway ?
    and
    How do I know which force is for which direction of the seat ?
    • Like Like x 1
  3. value1

value1 Nerd SimAxe Beta Tester SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

Balance:
    14,506Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,319 / 11 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, Joyrider
    Ha, ha, fully agree :)
    You can if you wish so. But then you also have to change the settings in the interface settings.
    Axis3.jpg
    You have to invert the direction of sway because of the position of your SCN's (both actuators in your back).
    Equally you have to invert one of the roll directions.
    Pitch and surge are forward/backward.
    Roll and sway are sideways.
    Heave is up and down; yaw is rotation on the floor. Both are not really feasible with your sim design – however you still may play with heave to trick your mind.
    • Like Like x 3
  4. Martin van Hagen

Martin van Hagen not trying brings you nothing! SimAxe Beta Tester Gold Contributor

Instrument Engineer
    Balance:
    881Coins
    Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Rinus, this is an awesome rig!!!! It seems to run like a dream....

I am presently collecting parts and ideas to built something similar to yours with some features all inside of the rectangular frame made from 60x40 extruded aluminum. For the part I have received Fanatec CSW Wheels and paddles, the shifters (SQ) is on its way, Logitec Z906, building 7 x K8081 amplifiers to drive the LFE buttkickers, will use either SCN5 or an industrial type actuator (for more reliability & oumpf), will install a RIG management control unit (Arduino based) and still thinking about the "brains" of it all and whether to go 3D from the start.

I am still struggling with the whole seating arrangement and the stabilizing rods. I see you have two attached from the back to the front of the seating frame for what reason?

To get rid of those two blue supports you might be thinking of beefing up the rear end with some 60x40, M10 fasteners and install some cross braces.
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2013
  5. Rinus janssens

Balance:
    2,153Coins
    Ratings:
    +87 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    SCN5
    Hi Martin,

Thank's for the compliments.

I have no experience with other type of motion rig than with SCN5 actuator so I can't say anything about that.
    The SCN5 actuators are doing there job just fine. The feeling is great and the movements are spot on with the games (rF2 and iRacing) I play.

The pivot that I use was not welded to the mounting plate. So that's why I used the rods.
    In the meantime the pivot is welded and the rods are removed.

The beefing up of the rear is the next step and will by applied later this year. I had the supports lying around and I run out of euro's at the time ;) so they came in handy :) for the time being.
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
  6. Martin van Hagen

Martin van Hagen not trying brings you nothing! SimAxe Beta Tester Gold Contributor

Instrument Engineer
    Balance:
    881Coins
    Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Hey Rinus, Happy New Year! May this year bring you all you wished for and enjoy your sim rig!!!

Concerning the finances I know the feeling since I started I spend well over 3K and not one race done. I try to prevent to do a intermediate as I am sure the distraction will prologue to completion of the planned rig. Nearly finished with the drawing of the rig and will be ordering the extruded aluminum profile soon. I was planning to buy it locally at Spanpartners in Ridderkerk but am looking for alternative suppliers. Just to compare quotations and reduce the cost and enabling me to order the SCN5 or ETH´s (Parker) actuators. My preference will be the industrial type for the oompf the can generate and the long life time. It´s all about the finances as you mentioned so we´ll see...

If you don´t mind I would like to ASk you some more questions later in the year concerning the set-up of the actuators?

Happy Sim Racing!!!!
  7. Rinus janssens

Balance:
    2,153Coins
    Ratings:
    +87 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    SCN5
    No problem at all :)
  8. Rinus janssens

Balance:
    2,153Coins
    Ratings:
    +87 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    SCN5
    Hey RufusDufus Lol,

Tried iRacing an rFactor for a wile now. I must say that the overall feel is great even-do I run with simple and basic axes settings.
    I wil post them in the http://www.xsimulator.net/community/forums/game-engine-axes-presets.151/ topic.

The gear change shake motion is indeed a little bit rough at some times. I haven't tried to chance smoothness with the filter setting.
    Problem is that the gear shake is combined with the de- and acceleration. So when I chance the gear shake I also chance the de- and acceleration.
    Maybe someone got a answer to fix this.

The direction of movement when chancing gear and de- and acceleration is indeed the opposite of x-sim.
    The feeling when chancing gears is a bit hefty but feels great and much more real, it needs some fine tuning with the filters.
    I have a bit more trouble with the de- and acceleration movement with this setting. I need more time to get used to that.
    The direction of movement is so more realistic and, when thinking what is happening whit the car and your body when you hit the throttle or hit the brake, it's much more realistic.