1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Building a Proper Motion Seat Base For SCN5's

Discussion in 'New users start here - FAQ' started by bvillersjr, Jan 12, 2010.

1. aikuo60

aikuo60 New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Re: Building a Proper Motion Base For SCN5's

Entirely agree with you, but for the moment, i never this type of design for Frex like. :)
  2. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0

You sir appear to be beyond help. I will waste no more time on this conversation. I get the impression that you are debating for the sake of debating rather than searching for a result that is best for the community. Our goal in these forums is to help others to find EFFECTIVE ways of building motion simulators, not to debate the validity of an actuator destruction machine. Three different EXPERIENCED sim builders have told you that this design is a mistake and could cause damage. PLEASE heed our warnings.

For the final time, I cannot recommend this design approach with a seat slider, as it is seen by all (except for you of course) to be prone to actuator damage.

You have proven my point in the beginning of this thread, that there is much confusion about how to build a proper motion base. Here's a re-cap of a proven method foir those find this thread later and in need of guidance:

There has been much confusion about the proper design for a SCN5 motion base. Some have experienced actuator damage as a result of misconfiguration. This post is an attempt to help those who will be building their own motion bases to avoid costly mistakes. These are the lessons learned while developing the SimXperience Universal Motion Kit. Much of this information will be included along with detailed drawings and cutting templates with the Universal Motion Kit when it is released. Since I offer a 1 year warranty on the actuators, I need to try to ensure that DIY users configure their seats correctly to avoid warranty claims!

The test objective for Universal Motion Kit is to provide users up to 260lbs with good quality motion and actuator safety while using 150mm actuators.

It is important to recognize that their are a variety of critical factors and that they all need to be combined correctly to produce a good feel and increase the life of your actuators.
    -Seat tilt on the seat base
    -Distance of rear actuator bar from pivot
    -Width of top-side actuator bar
    -Type of pivot
    -Location of pivot
    -Dampening mechanisms

Important minimum dimensions
    30.50 outer dimension from bottom-side ball-joint to ball-joint.
    11.25 outer dimension from top-side ball-joint to ball-joint
    28.50 from center of pivot to center of rear bar.

Tips
    -Use rubber bump stops during initial testing
    -Generally speaking, the pivot should be located directly under your butthole.
    -Test your design with the test sliders INCREMENTALLY (I posted a tutorial here a year or so ago with a video on this) http://www.x-simulator.de/wiki/Testing_ ... _Actuators
    -My actuators are mounted inline!! If yours are offset (like in a Frex design) then you should compensate for this. .50 inches is the difference between success and actuator failure.
    -The Frex style design is NOT sufficient for 150mm actuators. It failed every test on my test platform with 150mm actuators.

Happy building!

:cheers:
  3. splendiddd

splendiddd Active Member

CCTV security
    Balance:
    807Coins
    Ratings:
    +62 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, Arduino, Motion platform

I have adjusted my rig and it feels much stronger and smoother! Also it seems to be better damped then it used to be.

I have raised the center-pivot under my seat a little with a rubber ring for more free movement:

DSC01883.JPG

Adjusted the angle of the actuators to the measurements given by Bernard:

DSC01882.JPG

And adjusted the seat mounted to the 28.5cm, but i cannot seem to adjust the outer dimension from bottom-side ball-joint to ball-joint. because of the frex design and the way the bars are connected to the bar on the seat.....is this a problem?

DSC01884.JPG

One way or the other i need to get me new actuators in the near future, after a frustrating day yesterday, they both broke 8 times (!) I managed to come up with a radical solution. the pins i used just fell out because they don't stick too well in place. now i've drilled holes of 3mm thru the rod and placed a bolt and nut in them, if this brakes its all over i think..... :no:
  4. ledfoot

ledfoot Member

IT Manager
    Balance:
    21Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Hi Splendiddd,

The actuator spacing at the bottom is also critical so you should consider changing the mount at the top so that you can achieve the proper angle.

....Mike
  5. splendiddd

splendiddd Active Member

CCTV security
    Balance:
    807Coins
    Ratings:
    +62 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, Arduino, Motion platform

I will when i replace these actuators, could you tell me how you mounted them on your seat-bar? Thanks for the answer Mike.
  6. ledfoot

ledfoot Member

IT Manager
    Balance:
    21Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Let me see if I can dig up a picture for you.
  7. ledfoot

ledfoot Member

IT Manager
    Balance:
    21Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
  8. aikuo60

aikuo60 New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Bernard,

Don't forget that frex had developped his simulator for the japan people, the people in Japan haven't the same average weight than American. So it's normal that the frex design is not recommended for heavy people, and have some issues. :thbd:

I don't want to fight with you 8) ,i know that you are now a professional, but the post was
    Building a Proper Motion Base For SCN5's not Building a Proper Motion Base with Universal Motion Kit

In your post you always speak about your Universal Motion Kit and SCN5 150mm but what about for the others who
    have 100mm actuators and frex design? (The majority, i think)

I ask you several time the angle of your motion simulator, in order to help the people who have frex
    simulator with 100mm actuators without changing to 150mm actuator, (and wants to put the same angle like you) and you never answer to this.

My goal is just for helping the community (all the community), but i'm not professional like you... (excuse me to move you).

Regards
  9. sn4il

sn4il New Member

Balance:
    2Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I gues I'm facing the same problem with my setup. I was going to use this as upper bar.
    [​IMG]

If I remember correctly bvillersjr used them before. Can You confirm Bernard?
    sn4il
  10. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0

What is the length of your upper bar? I can't exactly tell how the tie-rod ends are mounted, but it looks good from what I can see.
  11. sn4il

sn4il New Member

Balance:
    2Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

It's 11 from end to end. I will start with dimmensions listed by You in other thread.
    The bar was drilled and tapped.
    sn4il
  12. johnakar

johnakar Member

Balance:
    6Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Hi all,

I am posting a couple of drawings of my DIY motion base, according to the dimensions provided in bvillersjr's useful post. Feel free to comment or correct.

Regards,
    John

Attached Files:

13. ralphvdberg

ralphvdberg New Member

Racecar/Porsche mechanic
    Balance:
    277Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Hi Guys,

Is this the best set up for the 150's ??... (did you test it?)
    I think the 50cm behind the chair is to low.. and what is the space between the upper unibolts?(37cm??)
    Thanks for the drawing Johnakar!! :clap:
    :cheers:
  14. johnakar

johnakar Member

Balance:
    6Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Thanks ralphvdberg,
    The 37cm value refer to the width of the seat frame and (my guess is that) depends solely
    on the type (or the make) of the bucket. As for the upper distance between the
    rod heads of the two actuators, is 28cm.
    I must say that I have not yet implement
    this design, as I am expecting Al-profiles, SCN's etc.
    I hope I got your question right.

John
  15. ledfoot

ledfoot Member

IT Manager
    Balance:
    21Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Hey ralphvdberg,

I have my sim currently running with similar dimensions and have tested this thoroughly with the test plugin as well as with aggressive profiles. I have had drivers over 250lbs on my sim and have had no issues.

...Mike
  16. ralphvdberg

ralphvdberg New Member

Racecar/Porsche mechanic
    Balance:
    277Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Thanks mike and john

Okay that's clear.. i'am building a motion base on this moment.. and looking for the perfect set up..
    I have bin last weekend to Niels (nima) and tested his sim.. it works perfect! and its a totaly different set up.. but with the 150's I think your setup is better..

I am just 135Lbs (60Kg)..

I want to put the unibolts direct on the chair.. so high on the chair as possible.. do you agree??..
  17. Nima

Nima Member Gold Contributor

Glaser
    Balance:
    529Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

hi ralph,
    if you are go higher on the chair the scn5 must go a longer way.by your low weight
    you dont must have it.look of the picture from mikes sim this is right do not go higher.
  18. rfsalter

rfsalter New Member

owner of healthcare company
    Balance:
    532Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 1 / -0

Does anyone know who provides a turnkey build service that does it well?
    Is it a better value than something like Blue Tiger or SimXperience?
    Thanks,
    rfsalter
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
  19. ralphvdberg

ralphvdberg New Member

Racecar/Porsche mechanic
    Balance:
    277Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Yes that's true, how higher how less movement..

But how low is the most realistic movement..

Mike is your hight also 50cm (19.68inch), is your set up the same as the drawing?
  20. ledfoot

ledfoot Member

IT Manager
    Balance:
    21Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

I'm out of town right now and can't actually measure but I beileve my height is about 25 inches.