1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

BU0836A 12-Bit Joystick Controller for button box

Discussion in 'SimTools compatible interfaces' started by bsft, Sep 1, 2013.

1. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello I am building my own button box and managed to cook a cheap dpad controller I was using for button control. Damn.
    Anyway I am looking for something a bit simpler to use and I got this link via the insidesimracing.tv forum,
    http://www.leobodnar.com/shop/index.php ... cts_id=204
    Looks fairly straight forward as I am not building a joystick, just buttons.
    I also found this link from this site via google
    from-adb-old-mac-to-usb-t2185.html
    So I guess it can be used.
    However, has anyone used one with a game?
    Cheers, David.
  2. estanislaolopez

estanislaolopez Member

Balance:
    18Coins
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, SimforceGT
  3. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yes I have seen that and no Id rather not build on myself when there is a board available.But thanks for the info.

So has any one else used the BUO836A?
  4. Historiker

Historiker Dramamine Adict Gold Contributor

Retired
    Balance:
    9,176Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,159 / 19 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
    Hey Dave,

I have used several of those boards to build custom cockpit panels/controls. The only drawback to that particular card is that you have to create your own matrix in order to get the 32 (or more) buttons. Leo also has a plug and play version of that board for twice the price.

http://www.leobodnar.com/shop/index.php ... cts_id=180

I can say beyond a doubt that he makes a good product. Only drawback is that he disappears occasionally leaving his customers wondering where their product is. He ALWAYS comes through but it might take a few weeks when it does happen.

Great product, good price.

I should say that I used to use those, now I use the Teensy++2.0 controller board. half the price and almost plug and play. No matrix needed to use up to 40 buttons (but Windows only recognizes 32 DX buttons) and 8 axis. I used a breadboard at first for quick access but eventually started making my own PCBs.

Drawbacks: 10bit axis (so only 1024 steps rather than 4096...but most joysticks are 8 bit with 255 steps so it hardly matters to most people. The bit resolution doesn't matter at all for the buttons, they are either on or off). You have to program it yourself.

For programming I use a drag and drop interface called GenericHID. Just drag the components that you want associated with the Teensy over onto the screen and drag wires from the teensy to the components. You can give it a unique name for windows, tell it what you want the axis to be called, etc. It is an Arduino/Teensy programmer for dummies (me).

http://generichid.sourceforge.net/

Teensy website:

http://www.pjrc.com/teensy/

The teensy is what I used to create my custom shifter rig. So far I have used it to create 7 custom button boxes for various people, two complete cockpit interface panels again for a couple of people, three HOTAS sets (upgraded a Thrustmaster FCS and a Suncom Talon F15E). One of the HOTAS sets was completely from scratch, I make a Supermarine Spitfire (like) stick and throttle set. Oh, and 14 custom ICP modules for F-16 simpits.

Teensy on my shifter:

[​IMG]

ICP modules:

[​IMG]

The Teensy on the back of one of the ICP module. Like a spider on it's web, lol.

[​IMG]

The custom PCB I made for my Teensy (this one is in the Suncom HOTAS).

[​IMG]

Teensy on the breadboard:

[​IMG]

The GenericHID interface:

[​IMG]

Long story short:

The Bodnar board that you linked to will need a custom matrix made for it (diodes, traces, etc) the Bodnar board that I linked to is plug and play but twice the price. The Teensy is the cheapest and can be used for far more than the Bodnar but you will have to use either a breadboard (easy) or create your own PCB (harder) and of course needs to be programmed. That is pretty easy using GenericHID.

Hope this helps, let me know if I can answer further questions on the teeny if you are interested.

I doubt this even puts a dent in the enormous amount of help you have given to me but hopefully it is a start.

David
  5. Historiker

Retired
    Balance:
    9,176Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,159 / 19 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    Here is a control box that I made using a Bodnar board:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  6. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks again, I only want to use 10 buttons, no more. No pots on it, just buttons.
    I priced up getting one and its near $60 including shipping.
    As good as the board looks, it may be cheaper for me to go to the local markets and get a cheapo dpad and use that.
    However, any further suggestions will be investigated for sure.
    I do need more coffee and then the links you sent may make more sense.
    Cheers, David.
  7. Historiker

Retired
    Balance:
    9,176Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,159 / 19 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    No worries. If you only want 10 buttons than a cheap USB joystick really would be the way to go. I can recommend the Saitek Aviator. Usually found used on Ebay for 10-20 and really easy to hack.
  8. value1

value1 Nerd SimAxe Beta Tester SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

Balance:
    14,509Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,319 / 11 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, Joyrider
    If you only want buttons (no axis) you can also tear an old keyboard apart and wire the keys to whatever button/switch you want. You'll have about 100 buttons/switches with one keyboard ;D
    And in the game you assign the respective letter to a command.
  9. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Thanks for that, I had a half busted keyboard, i took some figuring the wiring, but it should be right for 12 buttons. Thanks for the tip, button box is coming together.
    Thats as well as the ard uno in there with shift lights ready for code testing on simtools as well.
    Rob is helping there, so when ever he has time.
  10. Robert Ferguson

Robert Ferguson New Member

Balance:
    401Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Arduino, 6DOF
    Sorry to dredge up such an old post, but I see you say that you use the Teensy 2++ and that you have all 8 analog axes working. I have corresponded with Paul Stoffregen, the guy who designed the Teensy and he was unable to get all 8 axes working. May I ask how you modified the code to make it work?