1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Attempting to add motion to my ride

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by bvillersjr, Oct 11, 2008.

1. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0
    I apparently missed alot in the last few months with regard to the SCN5 project. I am ordering 2 SCN5's today and am looking for the best USB<-->RS485 solution that I can purchase pre-made.

Many thanks to sirnoname Ego and everyone who has pioneered this and made it possible for someone like myself without the knowledge of electronics to own a cost-effective driving simulator.

I have attached some pics of my current rig, which will get the SCN5's added to it in the next month or two I HOPE!!

-Bernard (bvillersjr) Image28.jpg Image25.jpg Image26.jpg Image27.jpg Image33.jpg
  2. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    Any progress? Frame modified already? Actuators mounted yet?

Regards
    Chrisitan
  3. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0

The frame is built, here are some pictures of the build during the painting process (the powder coating wait was going to take too long), but they aren't clear. I have it external to the sim above until I get all the electronics together etc.. It is already designed to replace the seat on my current rig and is ready to drop in place.

It will probably look a bit awkward to you, but remember that most of it will not be seen since it will be sitting down inside my current cabinet on vibration mounts. It will also appear to be a bit taller than you would expect because it is going to sit inside my current cabinet pictured above.

Also, please ignore the masking tape, etc.. some parts are painted silver and are masked during these pictures which was the black paint application or while drying indoors. Also, please ignore the old beat up racing seat. It is for test purposes. The one that I will be using is on the current rig above.

I'll upload some more recent and better pictures soon.

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

007.jpg

010.jpg

011.jpg

012.jpg

013.jpg
  4. njracer

njracer Member

Balance:
    2Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    hey bvillersjr, that is coming along nicely. i have a question, i want to use a universal joint as well to hook up to my simulator. can you post where you got it or the model of it? i'd appreciate it.
    thanks
    dave

btw, are you planning on using any dampeners so soften the actuator movements? if so what do you have in mind? i should be ready to start in about 2 weeks so its crunch time for me to get an idea of everything i need
  5. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0
    Thanks, I'll work up a parts list with hypertlinks today or tomorrow and get it posted.
  6. Mr Burns

Mr Burns New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Where do you get a used seat of that type? It looks light.
  7. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    Seems to be an seat out of a wrecked racecar ;D

@Bernard
    Is there any play on the Z-rotation-axis? I wonder if such a cross joint eleminates the need of stabilizers totally.

Regards
    Christian
  8. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0
    They are very luight, and help to compensate for the fact that my frame is steel and not aluminum. It was bought new by my dad and used in a Viper that he ran in the Viper Days and GT Series. Didn't wreck it, but the roll-cage rubbed on it. Couldn't see the scratches until the seat was removed from the car. Plus I think it's been dropped and knocked over a few times sitting in the garage..

Here's the only pic I have where you can see it installed, and then another of all three of the McCann Racing Cars. If you are ever watching on TV, the team doesnt run Vipers anymore, they run Cadillac CTS-V's. Their cars are in the NAGT mod for rFactor.

I am just the lowly jealous sim racer ;)

g01.jpg

p24.jpg
  9. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0

Assuming that you define the Z-Axis as a side-to-side spinning (as in turning left or right in an office chair) then there is no play whatsoever in the Z-Axis. Imagine a drivesfaft that had any play at all in the Z-Axis. It would make a terrible clunking sound (like ones that are going bad do) whenever you put your car in gear and torque was placed on it. A healthy driveshaft has no play at all in that direction.