1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Articsimulator - Joyrider made of wood

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by fredspeed, Nov 6, 2009.

1. fredspeed

fredspeed New Member

Balance:
    417Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Pitch forward is 26 degrees
    pitch backwards is 36 degrees
    Roll angle is 36 both ways.
    In theory its possible to make the roll all the way around for the high sensation seeker :D
    The challenge is pitch forward. It might be posible to make this angle range higher, but the seat itself limits it, and the whole plattform then has to be higher abowe the floor.

Inner frame pitch.jpg
    Inner frame pitch forward.

btw: It will need about 1,5 X 2 meters of your livingroom (plenty of room to stow away batteries and electronics inside it)

Fred
  2. netwizrm

netwizrm Member

Balance:
    - 10Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Good Stuff Fred, :clap:

Those dimensions seem very compact and very welcoming especially for some of with space constraints.
    Looks like you have very fluid and nice flowing design physics, do you anticipate that, the weight of both you and the seat might generate some degree of stress and friction on the rollers as they try to maintain their axis during intense game play how do you plan to tackle that?

Can’t wait to see the next phase, keep at it!! :cheers:

Robert
  3. Frakk

Frakk Active Member

Balance:
    328Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I would really try to get the same movement range in all directions. If you think about it, in any car you will have greater breaking forces than acceleration forces, therefore the forward pitch will always be greater in maximum magnitude.

If you brought only the seat (pitch axis) a bit forward and maybe a little bit upward relative to the roll axis rails, you could have more motion out of it. You can also adjust the bottom where you put your foot and the pedals for a bit more clearance to the ground.

With your setup I am pretty confident that you can get more sideways movement as well, I would aim at 45deg, then see if it is practically doable.

Robert, he plans to use drive belts and rollers with teeth, like in a car engine. There will be stress and some stretch, but not that much to cause problems. The whole sim will be balanced fairly good too.
  4. netwizrm

netwizrm Member

Balance:
    - 10Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Frakk, thanks for that info, thinking about it closely, it makes good sense, after all most engines do 75K on the same belt under a lot of tension stress, I think its a good idea.

Thanks

Robert
  5. NavyGator

NavyGator New Member

Balance:
    333Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Fred,

I have read through your build so far and I like the idea of using wood. It is inexpensive and easy to work with compared to other materials.

It looks like you intend to use 3/4 inch plywood (19mm) for a majority of the build. It seems like the pitch frame is very narrow in two spots. The frame right by the seat going down to the pedals and right behind the table for the monitor and steering wheel. I think that the stress might be to much for these points, especially during game play. You might want to do some tests on those parts of the design.

Also, I think any platform needs a cup holder. :cheers:

I am anxious to see your platform when it is done. Keep up the work.

Regards,

Rich
  6. fredspeed

fredspeed New Member

Balance:
    417Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Thanks folks for all inspiring and constructiv replies. I have little time nowadays to start build, so its only some late evenings available to make drawings. i will try to see if I can make a plan for more pitch movements forward. A relative of mine is a carpenter so I have good access to free wood materials and tools for it right where I live! I have not made to mutch attention to dimensions yet, so there might be some changes. The light coloured material is laminated wood (I can make this myself) The darker colored material is plywood (laminated) I agree some points it looks narrow. Laminated wood can be wery strong though. The front part of the inner frame only need to hold weight of the legs, but of course the steering wheel need some strong support.

btw: A great challenge will be combining Frakk`s 45 degrees with a cupholder containing whatewer liquid prefered!!! :rofl: :cheers:

Fred
  7. fredspeed

fredspeed New Member

Balance:
    417Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Just a little update. I have started to build the rig, and I am working on how to make smooth and direct power-transmittion from Wipermotor to chair. But the project will now be put on ice some months since it is springtime (Did it make sense?) and I have some outdoor projects and hobbies. Guess I am back medio september! Have a nice summer!
  8. Frakk

Frakk Active Member

Balance:
    328Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    That is too bad Fred! I was going to ask you about the project because I haven't heard of you for a while.

I hope you come back to it ASAP and complete it!

Take care and have a great summer!
  9. fredspeed

fredspeed New Member

Balance:
    417Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Hey, good to know there is interest about my project. Here in North Norway we have wery different seasons thru the year. A very dark cold winter suited for motion som project, and a wery nice light summer suited for boating and outdoor projects. i guareantee I willl be back, and of course there might be some rainy days....:)
  10. Frakk

Frakk Active Member

Balance:
    328Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Enjoy the nice weather! I know that is what I would do too. Actually I have been dying to get out since it started to warm up here in Southern Canada.
  11. fredspeed

fredspeed New Member

Balance:
    417Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Hello again!!! :hi: The snow is now falling up in the mountains here in Northern Norway, and its time to have a look at my sim project again. I have now desided to make a simpler version than first planned, just to get some realisme into it, and maybe make it more advanced later. I have read about simple wipermotor chair by ua6aak project and might try something similar. Just need a trip to the hardware-store. :yes:
  12. Frakk

Frakk Active Member

Balance:
    328Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Welcome back!
  13. fredspeed

fredspeed New Member

Balance:
    417Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
  14. fredspeed

fredspeed New Member

Balance:
    417Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Time to show some work in progress. I have build the rig now, and I want to post some pictures before I continue, to show the materials I have used. The rig will now get a paint job. I must do some adjustment before its ready for real testing. The next step is mounting potentiometers. I have made pivot as 2dof-simple-wipermotor-chair-by-ua6aak-t2512.html did, but the angels I used must be replaced by stronger ones, because there is a litle bit unwanted rotation. The rod between motor and seat are just ordinary metal rods, and no ball bearing. I support them with rubber spacers, and hope this will work. The seat can be adjustet forward and baccward with loosing some screws, so its easy balance it on the pivot. Credits to ua6aak and Deriy for ideas. Happy for all kinds of useful comments! :cheers:[ Bilde1077-Optimized.jpg Bilde1079-Optimized.jpg Bilde1076-Optimized.jpg
  15. Frakk

Frakk Active Member

Balance:
    328Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    So far so good!

I wouldn't worry about the paint job as of yet. I'm sure you will modify it very soon.

For power supplies you can get a standard PC power supply, look for +12V rails. 25-30A for each motor should do the job, you have to see how bad the load is.
    Other alternative is car battery. You can charge them with a smaller 12V power supply.

MAKE SURE TO FUSE A BATTERY!!
  16. fredspeed

fredspeed New Member

Balance:
    417Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I allredy have a battery, and yes there is also a fuse :rofl:

Do I need one powes supply for each motor? I dont remember eksactly, but I think Thanos mentioned that a battery is safer to avoid overheating of the mosfet? (will try to find that post again)

btw: Did you think of a spesific modifikation? Suggestions? (already painted :D )
  17. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    There was a reason why Thanos didnt continue to use PC PSUs. But I cant remeber why. He then used a car battery, which worked better for his wiper motor setup.

regards
  18. Frakk

Frakk Active Member

Balance:
    328Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I can't see how batteries would fix a mosfet overheating problem. Maybe if the power supply voltage drops below ~10V, but in that case a normal PSU just shuts off..

You don't need a supply for each motor if one can supply enough current, like a battery. Some ATX PSU's have 2-3 different rails of 12V. In this case it is wise to have 1 rail for each motor, or connect all rails into one for both motors.

So far I can't see anything that needs to be changed. You will have to try moving it and see how it feels.
  19. Frakk

Frakk Active Member

Balance:
    328Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Probably because the over current protection kicked in at peaks, shutting it off completely. A car battery can supply ~700A-900A.
  20. fredspeed

fredspeed New Member

Balance:
    417Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Thankyou. I will use battery until I find a proper psu! As I understand the more amp the better!