1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Articsimulator - Joyrider made of wood

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by fredspeed, Nov 6, 2009.

1. fredspeed

fredspeed New Member

Balance:
    417Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Hi, Thanos and you other good helpers.

I found out that the motor1 connection on my h-bridge worked as i believe it should (turns motor both ways. But at the motor2 connection it turns motor only one direction. I have measured ressistance and resistors, and it is close to 2k2 as the part-list says. I have tried to replace all the mosfets on the motor2 side of the board, and checked the connection between AMC and DSMHB, and it seems to be ok. What could be wrong here? Here is a picture of my h-bridge and a link to a higres picture on my blog. I have some drilled holes where the red arrows point, what is it for (Nothing on the schematics) :?

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_6MprTsBWm5Q/S ... /dsmhb.jpg

dsmhb_1_1.jpg

BTW: i see my status now is X-SIMER... Well, no sim finished yet. I was thinking that was the requirement to get that status...!?) Maybe I post to much...hm... Anyhow, I am addicted to this forum and this project nowadays. To bad there is so much else to do, like building my hous bigger, but it will be more room for my sim though :D

Fred
  2. pippo978

pippo978 New Member

Balance:
    1,052Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello fred

I see you're still having problems, read your post I noted that we have almost the same problems.
    Even my h-bridge can only drive the motor n# 2 instead n# 1 runs only in one direction.
    I checked all connections and changed all the Mosfet but nothing changes.
    I noticed however, that any pot I can control is operated motor 1 the motor 2. This seems odd given that the ports for the feedback potentiometers are different.
    Let me ask you if you tried to control the engine 1 with the potentiometer of the motor 2, have you tried to feed both engines but to connect only the motor 1 and see if the LEDs light up the motor 2 when you move the potentiometer 1?

excuse for the many questions but I want to start building my sim, and until I have tested the board and know that I can start work.

I hope that others will be willing to help them understand and resolve the problem. :sos:
  3. fredspeed

fredspeed New Member

Balance:
    417Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Hello Pippo, its kind of funny that we have the same problems, and there is a chance we find the same solution too. I have not testet both motors at the same time, and used only one potentiometer. Your questions are interesting. I will try after work to test both of them at the same time. I will also read carefully thru the whole h-bridge topic, to see if I have missed something. Could it be the KP settings on the amc? If you find a solution let me know, and ofcourse I will let you know too what happends here. Since I have come this far I know my sim will be a reality, but it would be nice to have this working before starting to build the rig. :highfive:
  4. fredspeed

fredspeed New Member

Balance:
    417Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    :hi: Finally I have made dsmhb to work as i expect it to do. For now it is only tested with small dc-motors, but my problem with motor-2 moving in only one direction is solved. Guess what was the problem....you are right! bad soldering :yes: One of the resistors was not soldered properly. i have also succesfully used 22 mhz chrystal, and there was big differens when I look at the numbers on the lcd, they are counting much smoother. Now I am really happy, because its seems like I managed what for me is the hardest part, making the electronics. Now i can fokus on the rig. As said before I want to make a joyrider with wood as the main material. I looked at oscars sim oscarh-s-homebrewed-2-dof-car-simulator-t1359.html?hilit=oscar and I have started to think about a version of this made of wood. Since the bank-slider in this sim will be a challenge I am thinking about making it the opposit way, so that the small wheels is on the pich asembly, moving on a curved base. I will post draving when i have them ready! and i am happy for feedback on this idea!

Thanks for all the help from you so far. Hope i can give some help back as i get more experience :thbup:
  5. fredspeed

fredspeed New Member

Balance:
    417Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Here is my first picture of my new idea based on Oscars sim. its just to show you the principle how I think the axis could be constructed:
    wr2.jpg
    wr1.jpg
  6. Frakk

Frakk Active Member

Balance:
    328Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    That is a nice design, although you will have to raise it for forward pitch. You might need to make the two rollers wider and the the arc larger for better stability. Move the center of the arc above the head, and you have very realistic G-forces sideways. If you could do that for the pitch axis as well, you would have yourself a winner. I have been thinking about a very similar construction!

If you could somehow implement a sarrus linkage for vertical movement under the seat, that would be very cool!
  7. pippo978

pippo978 New Member

Balance:
    1,052Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello Fred

I read that you solved with your H-bridge are happy for you, I also fixed and I had to change all MOSFET motor 1. You tried to connect the AVR card with software x-sim?
    In setting interface you see something?

int.JPG

I also saw the image of the sim you wish to realize the idea is not bad but you will be greatly strengthened since the foundation in addition to support the weight is also subjected to lateral movements.

Pippo
  8. fredspeed

fredspeed New Member

Balance:
    417Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Thakyou for respons. You are totally right both of you Frakk and Pippo. I made this drawing in a hurry just to get the idea out for feedback. When I have the time I will make a more calculated drawing also with vipermotor-connections. I am thinking about using a fan belt and kompatible toothed whell to drive the axis.

Pippo: Nice that you too made it work. Have you looked at Thanos AMC-videoguide? I made it work as in this guide, but I used the same x-sim version as in the video. You find the guide here tronic-s-amc-motor-motion-controller-with-pwm-servo-output-t559.html?hilit=amc guide.

Frakk: I do not understand sarrus linkage Could you explain?
  9. Frakk

Frakk Active Member

Balance:
    328Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarrus_linkage

Move one of the links under the platform so it doesn't get in the way on the sides, the other one can bend out to the back of the simulator. If you know what I mean:) Here is a different geometry, but you could move the vertical axis with one motor like this:
  10. fredspeed

fredspeed New Member

Balance:
    417Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Thankyou Frakk. I guess there is space for such a linkage, but I guess it need strong motors to lift the hole seat an driver. It might work as a force feedback system for bumps on tracks etc. with smaller motors though... do you agree? And I do have a unudsed pcb to build a second dsmhb for another set of motors :thbup:

The fun in this project is the unlimited number of solutions! :highfive:
  11. fredspeed

fredspeed New Member

Balance:
    417Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    The design is far from finished, but I have to post my progress. Am I getting closer? :uups:

Attached Files:

12. fredspeed

fredspeed New Member

Balance:
    417Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Still at the drawingboard, and here are some more pctures of my planning so far. i will be wery happy for all kinds of respons, because thats the way real development goes! :D

Pich forward in this design measured to 16 degrees. With some modification I could get more, but I dont want to sit under the roof driving!
    Pitch forward 16.jpg
    The roll angle is 30 degrees both ways.
    Roll 30.jpg
    pitch bacwards here is 25 degrees, but can be more.
    Pitch bakcwards 25.jpg

The vipermotor -mounting is showed in next pic. My idea is to use engine fan-belts and glue them to an arch profile. Then I could use some compatible toothwheels mounted to the vipermotor, and it could be a very compact system. But I am not shure about the gear rotation, and if parts are available somewhere to do this motorsystem.jpg
  13. Frakk

Frakk Active Member

Balance:
    328Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Very nice! I wish I could do 3D models like this!

I would increase the radius of the arc for the roll axis as I posted before. This would widen the whole area and the top of the arcs wouldn't poke your eye out in a full forward-full sideways motion. And it would also give more realistic forces. I would also move the front arc more to the back for greater breaking effect.

If it is possible, the pitch axis could use the same rail design for movement. Again, the center of rotation could go above the head for realism.

I have a feeling this will be a very nice simulator when done!
  14. fredspeed

fredspeed New Member

Balance:
    417Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for replies:

Frakk: I have thought about the poke your eye effect, but when you look at this model in 3d it ins not an issue. But it might be a good idea to wear seatbelts an protection glasses :yes: I will try later to make an animation of it. You are right about that is some advantages to make it wider, but I also want to make it as compact as possible. The front arch can easily be moved back if I increase the radius (again avoiding poked eyes) The reason I do not use the same rail design on the pich axis is that the pich motor and rail must move along with the roll axis, and then weight becomes an issue.

Sirnoname: I agree the bottom of the radius is small. it would be no problem to support this all the way down to the floor.

Both of you: You mention to move the point of the circle to the head. The idea here is buildt on the joyrider, with balanced axis, so that I can use viper -motors. I believe I will need more torque if the center of gravity is lover than the axis senter, but tell me if there is a way to overcome that. If the center of gravity is on the axis I believe to get the same effect no matter what radius i have!

When I have time I will try your ideas in the 3d-model :thbup:

By the way Frakk: have you build a sim yet, and in case that, what kind of setup?

Fred
  15. Frakk

Frakk Active Member

Balance:
    328Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Here is what I think. Design the sim geometry first, then worry about the motors/electronics and making it compact later. The wipers will handle the load if geared properly, you could use two of them for more power and speed. Once I have time I'll make some drawings in AutoCAD of how I would do it. Until then you can play around with the 3D and fine tune the design, see what works and what doesn't. I would focus the observations to the endpoints and all the limits of the geometry.

I have a 3DOF simulator built from LEGO (pitch, roll, yaw), but I might have to make it only 2DOF. The cockpit is basically hanging with all the pivot points above the head. Right now I'm trying to modify some small servos to move the whole thing, I'll take some pics and make one as my avatar. :D
  16. fredspeed

fredspeed New Member

Balance:
    417Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    My sim will be based on tronics electronics, and there is an option adding more than two motors. Your idea of making it vider will give more flexibility to experiment with the axis point and center of gravity. i want to make the axis points adjustable for fine tuning, and it might be an option using conterweights too. I will also have to measure the space available to put it in my house, altough I have a old barn with a lot of space in with room for a lot of DOF. To cold there during winterseason though!

Looking forward to see your model and drawings Frakk. Seems like we are heading in the same direction (of force) :highfive:

Fred

17. fredspeed

fredspeed New Member

Balance:
    417Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Here it is - my latest design, and maybe the final... The movements in this model is the same as in joyrider as it moves around center of gravity both pitch and roll. It is posible to change it by replacing the arch with one thats wider, and lift the pivot points, so i get to-head movements as suggested earlier in this topic, but I will start with this one. You can say this is inspired from joyrider, Rock and ride and Oscars sim. Do you folks think this will work?

Fred
  18. Mads

Mads New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I like your design
  19. ledfoot

ledfoot Member

IT Manager
    Balance:
    21Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Very nice design Fred.

.....mike
  20. Frakk

Frakk Active Member

Balance:
    328Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    That is great! You are on the right track. I love how simple and functional it is! Can you measure the movement range in angles?