1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Are YOU a NEW MEMBER? Introduce HERE!

Discussion in 'New users start here - FAQ' started by fermevc, Jun 20, 2009.

1. SirFenix

SirFenix New Member

Balance:
    355Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    Hiya there from Spain.
    I thinking about start a 2dof to starting...but is a good idea? or is better a 3dof??
    And another question....All projects I see are "supported" "undergirded".
    Are someone tried the option "hanged" ???? because the g force, and tangencial are linear in a flat plane, then when more radius, more plane and soft movement. I dont know, maybe I´m saying a nonsense.

Me and my english!!!!!! OMG.

I will write in spanish too. ^

Sólo he visto modelos "apoyados", es decir la silla apoya sobre la base.
    Alguien ha probado a "suspender" la silla? Así se consigue más radio de giro, el movimiento es más plano y puede ser más suave y progresivo. No sé, igual estoy equivocado.
  2. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  3. Pekay

Pekay New Member

Soon to be retired maintenance technician
    Balance:
    220Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor
    Hi all,
    Found this site via a link from another forum I'm currently monitoring (Viperpits.org). In the process of building simpit (F-16) and plan to put motion to it someday. Have a lot of the motors and speed drives and other assorted equipment. This site looks very promising for the software end of the motion platform. so I plan on doing a lot of reading. Looking forward to seeing what everyone else is doing. Wheels don
  4. Historiker

Historiker Dramamine Adict Gold Contributor

Retired
    Balance:
    9,176Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,156 / 19 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
    Welcome Pekay! That was probably one of my posts, I am Propnut over there; I built the plug and play ICP modules, etc. ;)

There have been some great build threads for flight sims, and most current and older popular flight sims already have plugins for use with Simtools. Falcon BMS included so you are set. Start a build thread and ask questions. There are many friendly, knowledgeable and experience builders here and then there is me; I just use a bigger hammer :D

Again, welcome!
  5. arlequin2000

arlequin2000 Out Run Rulez !

Balance:
    268Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    Hi !
    I'm new here ! I use Xsim 2 on my 2dof sim but sometimes i have trouble with games.
    I will try simtools to compare the both. Xsim have a lack with ffb effect. I have another application with arcade panels, i drive them with arduino and motorshield. But Xsim doesnt read ffb data sended from games (not telemetry but dx ffb effect) without having ffb hardware plugged. It will be great if simtools can do it an easy way.
    Thanks for the software and the community ! :)
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Tino

Tino Member

Balance:
    1,289Coins
    Ratings:
    +46 / 3 / -1
    Hello everyone,
    I've always been impressed by motion simulator hardware, but unfortunately I've only been able to see expensive professional simulators in arcade centers, due to high costs I always imagined.
    But as PCs an consoles became cheap enough so everyone can afford them, and new VR headsets coming out (DK2 ordered) i think it's almost time to build my own 6dof motion simulator,
    I've been really impressed with merchan-e research on wiper powered 6dof simulator:
    http://www.xsimulator.net/community/threads/prototype-6dof.5045/

I think vipers are the way to go, but I would like to add 6 levers (sesaw) to reduce to motor workload.

I made a thread about it here
    http://www.xsimulator.net/community/threads/6dof-motion-platform-‘lite’.5481/

Looking forward to you thoughts.
    Regards,
    Tino.
  7. Historiker

Retired
    Balance:
    9,176Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,156 / 19 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    Welcome to XSimulator.net Tino, good luck with your build! :)
    • Like Like x 1
  8. DigitalCrypto

DigitalCrypto New Member

Balance:
    343Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino, JRK
    Hello Everyone,

We are new members here on Xsim. I never knew something like this existed outside the commercial arena.

Our back story is that my wife and I recently attended track day which was offered with her Fiat Abarth 500 purchase. My whole family is into racing (building, pitting, drinking, celebrating etc) and I am into flying. So it's nothing really new to me. But for her, it was like the gates of Heaven opened up and the angel of dear sweet little baby Jesus spoke to Ricky Bobby explaining the secrets of Shake & Bake.

After track day I could tell she got bitten by the speed bug. She would watch her cockpit race videos over and over and over looking for mistakes and commenting about corrections. I may have made the mistake of having mentioned to her that she could do this on a computer and that we had most of the expensive parts already on hand. I told her it would be possible to build her a racing sled but we would need a wheel and pedals. The next morning I was sent directly to Frys to get the G27 combo. So I brought it home and setup a makeshift folding tray table and let her race on a recliner, which she upgraded to kitchen table chair.

Of course now she wants me to build the sled! Get rid of the couch and recliners! We'll put two side-by-side for head to head racing! Well maybe I am fortunate but I think I may be in trouble. She wants realistic racing on a decent budget. She can't perfect her driving without being able to "feel" the car. So off to research I went and then I found X-Sim.

So yesterday I spent over 5 hours reading the forums and I was blown away by windshield motors! You guys can't be serious, I'm thinking. But then I see the videos and just laugh at all the good fun you are having. And yes bsft, I'd hit you with my sled just to give you a good rub to throw you around.

At any rate, I am still looking into a design that can fit in the smallest space. I saw RacingMat's DIY Tutorial and it looks like something I want to do down the road. But I am more interested in building a CXC type sim where only the chair moves, not the whole pit.

I'm in Houston, Texas, USA. So a place to source parts like the truck wipers would be nice. I already have Arduino but I am not opposed to buying the JRKs. I can also fab parts, weld and do electronics/computers. She doesn't want anything used from a junkyard in the house. For that reason I purchased a couple racing seats from Auto Dynasty on Amazon last evening.

Since we really don't have the room to build two sims with 6 screens, I've been using head tracking to take advantage of a single larger screen. It seems to work well so far.

I do appreciate any help you guys are willing to offer and I would like to also do a tutorial of the CXC type sim if that's the way we go. It looks to be the easiest and smallest when combined with RacingMat's layout.

Best regards,
    David

P.S. She's already telling everyone she knows that her husband is building a racing simulator for her. And they are lining up to come over and try it. So I better start getting some parts for her Simul8r sled so I can finish that first.
    • Winner Winner x 2
  9. Tino

Tino Member

Balance:
    1,289Coins
    Ratings:
    +46 / 3 / -1
    Hi and excellent wife choice :)!
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. Historiker

Retired
    Balance:
    9,176Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,156 / 19 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    Hi David, and Welcome to XSimulator.net and SimTools motion software! (not x-sim, that is different website and software)

You should be able to find everything you need/want locally but start a build thread with your ideas and questions and I am sure you will get a great deal of information and suggestions.

Again, welcome to XSimulator.net

David
  11. DigitalCrypto

DigitalCrypto New Member

Balance:
    343Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Thank you Tino and Historiker. Oh I am on the wrong site!? Just kidding! I meant SimTools but said Xsim as an abbreviation for this site. I didn't have enough coffee when I posted. My mistake. :0)
  12. Historiker

Retired
    Balance:
    9,176Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,156 / 19 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    David, you have the best intro story that I think I have ever read on this forum, my wife got a big laugh out of it when I read it to her....of course her response was "Dream on!" lol. You should get cash and prizes (incoming) :D
  13. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  14. DigitalCrypto

DigitalCrypto New Member

Balance:
    343Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    That's pretty tight. I got the Simul8r PVC sled cut and mallet assembled today. I didn't know if I should start a project page on it as I don't have any pics to upload at the moment.

Where can I find info on those UV joints and tie rod ends you are using? Also where can I find some decent wiper/worm drive motors in the USA? I saw the ones in Oz but the swimmer's courier charge is more than the parts.
  15. Sergey Komarevtzev

Sergey Komarevtzev New Member

Balance:
    297Coins
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    hi !
    My name is Sergey and i am from Israel. and i studying Electronic Engineering .
    i going to build a simulator with 2dof platform that will work with Arduino UNO.
    i have couple of issues that i hopefully be able to solve thanks to this community . and the first one are the 250 coins to download the plugin ;)

have a nice day and i wish to every one a good luck .
  16. Historiker

Retired
    Balance:
    9,176Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,156 / 19 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    Hi Sergey, and welcome to XSimulator.net

Create a build thread for your project with ideas/needs and I am sure there is someone who could answer your questions.

As far as coins go, you get them for reading new posts, participating in discussions by adding thoughtful responses. Please do not spam the forums with a hundred meaningless posts just to get coins though as this would result in a ban ;)
    You will find that you quickly earn the needed coins. Or alternatively if you are in a hurry you can buy a coin package and help support the cost of operating the website :)

For more information on coins please read the FAQ located here:

http://www.xsimulator.net/community/faq/

Again, welcome!
  17. playseatracer

playseatracer New Member

Balance:
    505Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Motion platform
    Hi all,

I would like to introduce myself, my name is Marcel (playseatracer) from Netherlands and I love to play simulation games RACE 07; ETS2; STS; etc. now I would alsolike to play some flight sim games.

Now I had the idea to build a motion platform for moore reaslism , but didn't know where to start. Now I came upon a NED forum the thread to Floriscke.nl has posted for a Playseat with 2DOF. That was te setup i’m looking for, I would only make a 3DOF instaed of a 2 DOF. So I came here on this forum.

Objective, to build a rig with 3DOF and Playseat.[​IMG]
    • Like Like x 1
  18. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    @playseatracer , easy done, but mount motors different to the one pictured. Start a new thread and we can discuss from there.
    Cheers, David.
  19. playseatracer

playseatracer New Member

Balance:
    505Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Motion platform
    Thanks David

I'll start a new thread as soon as I have no if they are going to operate me (after operation i may not lift more dan 0,5Kg for 6 weeks, so building is then out of te question, in the mean time I collect as much info as possible for this project.

Yes the motor mounts have to be mounted diagonal + one extra ad the back, bud the pic is from a 2 DOF
    • Like Like x 1
  20. MrSmurgle

MrSmurgle CTO @ gagarin.is

CTO & Software developer @ gagarin.is
    Balance:
    351Coins
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Arduino
    Hi,

I am really excited about joining this community! I can see that there is a lot of very useful information here that will help me and my friend with the rig we are about to build.

Best,
    Sammi
    • Like Like x 1