1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Are YOU a NEW MEMBER? Introduce HERE!

Discussion in 'New users start here - FAQ' started by fermevc, Jun 20, 2009.

1. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    got a thread of progress?
  2. ayudaConelNombre

ayudaConelNombre New Member

Balance:
    202Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Arduino
    I don't have an open thread for now. I'll try to gather more information to create a thread soon.
    I managed to replicate one that I found on the internet but now I try to understand better what is telemetry.

ps. sorry for my english.. I'm using google translator
  3. trent

trent New Member

UPS Delivery trained by GTAIV
    Balance:
    631Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, 6DOF
    Hi from Utah. I'm excited to learn more about building my own motion rig. I saw the prices of retail rigs and thought I'd never have one in my home. But now after browsing this site, I think I might be able to do it. I look forward to collaborating with people who share my interest for this hobby.
    I just purchased a GS-4 G-seat(has 4 moveable flaps to simulate g forces), and I would like to mount that on an Obutto Revolution, and mount the Obutto on a platform with 4 linear actuators. Hopefully I can take advantage of the expertise of the people here to help me along.
  4. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    yep, we can help along there. I recall a member of ours already did that, but he used expensive dbox actuators. Something can be done with DC motors for sure. Start a thread and we can help from there.
  5. Gelatin

Gelatin Active Member

Balance:
    - 376Coins
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, SCN5
    Hello everyone!

My name is Joseph form Hungary, I will post my location on the world map soon, if I'' find out how I can do this. :)

I'm glad to be here and I'm glad that I found this community.
    I've been looked for such a software for my simulator like this, what's so easy to use.
    Thx for Simtools and sorry about my english... try to learn :)

I built an SCN5 sims from Frex-basics, but I rebuilt soon enough with lot of my DIY parts. I changed comlete electric parts, controlling, DIY cluch-system, hydraulic-brake. I modded a g25 (changed all pieces inside, rebuilt H-shifter to a stronger metal mechanism, etc.)
    But it is just the begining :)
    My further goals are to change my old monitors to HD led TVs with nVidia 3D surround kit. I think it is such an important to detect distances and deepness to pass well corners.

But first of all I'd like to learn this software. Thats my weakest point, so I'm sorry, if I'll ask few rookie questions here.
    My poor english not fair enough to translate every manual and documents and find any answers to solve a problem...
    This message took half an hour of my time.

Anyway, Nice to join your community.

BR, Joseph
  6. Barry

Barry Active Member

Web Developer
    Balance:
    3,877Coins
    Ratings:
    +251 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, JRK
    Welcome Joseph. I'm a new member as well. It's a fantastic forum full of very friendly and helpful people.
  7. Historiker

Historiker Dramamine Adict Gold Contributor

Retired
    Balance:
    9,176Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,156 / 19 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
    Welcome Joseph! I look forward to seeing your build thread (lots of pictures!!, :) )
  8. Gelatin

Gelatin Active Member

Balance:
    - 376Coins
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, SCN5
    No problem, but I need some time. Everythign is brand new here for me, even to post pictures :)
    Where members usually post pictures to?
  9. eaorobbie

eaorobbie Well-Known Member SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,391Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, SimforceGT, 6DOF
    As you have found by your sim build post mate, just drag and drop into the post.
    Welcome @Gelatin
  10. Gelatin

Gelatin Active Member

Balance:
    - 376Coins
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, SCN5
    Right, thx.
    Very nice!!! :) Much easier, love it
  11. Gelatin

Gelatin Active Member

Balance:
    - 376Coins
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, SCN5
  12. LostMyEd

LostMyEd New Member

Balance:
    479Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    Hi all I'm from the UK.

I came across this site after a few searches for home made simulator's on google. There's some great projects on here and what seams like some really helpful people.
    I'm interested in building a simulator myself, I have a little knowledge on home build projects but very little in this field.
    Thanks for all the information so far, I am a lot closer to realising my goal.

Cheers Eddie..
  13. Barry

Barry Active Member

Web Developer
    Balance:
    3,877Coins
    Ratings:
    +251 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, JRK
    Welcome to the forum Eddie. What part of the UK are you in?
  14. LostMyEd

LostMyEd New Member

Balance:
    479Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    Thank you Barry!
    From England, Nottinghamshire
  15. jackon680

jackon680 New Member

Balance:
    355Coins
    Ratings:
    +8 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    hey guys,
    I live in the US and have started to make a 3dof rig. I plan to use stepper motors in some way to get it to work. This is kind of a school project and a personal project since im getting the motors from my teacher and getting $200 to use. So im trying to make it as cheap as possible but still sturdy. I found this site by looking for programs that i could use to control the motors.

hope to get some help on my rig. David
  16. Barry

Barry Active Member

Web Developer
    Balance:
    3,877Coins
    Ratings:
    +251 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, JRK
    What a great school project David. Keep an eye on the marketplace for some cheap deals as people upgrade their setups. You might get some cheap parts there.
  17. Michael Hensen

Michael Hensen Active Member

C# Software Engineer
    Balance:
    748Coins
    Ratings:
    +186 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, AC motor, Arduino, Motion platform
    Hi, as a new member this is my first post, so I am lurking, browsing and planning along the way.
    First of all, my name is Michael and I am from the Netherlands and a C# software engineer.
    I got the idea of building a 2DOF race sim after watching some youtube movies, but also this would be a great project to have some quality time with my son (19). We both love racing games and this would step it up a bit. Now only on console (xbox).

Having build more smaller stuff, 3D printers, I don't have the tools and experience in 'larger' scale project, neither has my son :) this is also why I want him to get involved !
    So all in all the idea is to 'start' a build around a playseat and start of simple with wiper motors, just to keep costs as low as possible for the first build. As I have learned from my 3D printers, the first build is the most expensive, upgrading is always an option..

I have seen some builds based on the playseat, even from a dutch guy, so I am pretty confident that we can pull this off.
    So right now I am looking around to find the parts I need for the base, although some is hard to find as you can't find the right 'ducth' name for the thing.. Like the U-joint.. I only can find the U joint of steering columns, so I probably will ask around at a car demolition site.

The first question that arises me is the one about the motors, mainly this is 2 questions:)
    I understand that you can use wipermotors as they are small but strong motors, but can I use normal Car wiper motors? and how strong should they be, I myself weigh 90 kg and I know they just need to shift weight arounda pivot point. So they don't need the 90kg force, but how much do they need? if possible what is the right wiper motor, (car brand,model,year, so I can search around)?

Last but not least, I hope, nope .. I know I will finish this project and will have a great deal of fun in building and using the rig!!

With kind regards,

Michael Hensen
  18. RacingMat

RacingMat Well-Known Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    20,876Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,079 / 21 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Hi @jackon680!
    Good idea! What are the specs of your stepper motors (number of poles, torque and speed)?
    What driver do you intend to use (as you won't be able to drive it with PWM and usual Hbridge)? It may be costly...

Hello @Michael Hensen !
    A 2DOF wiper motors arduino motomonster is one of the cheapest design (less than 600€).
    I tried some Golf3 wiper motors that were too weak and I used with satisfaction SWF VALEO NIDEC ITT 404.458: have a look at the link in my signature.
    Have fun with your son!
  19. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I only have hand tools here, a cheap grinder, hand drill, hand saw, cheap arc welder, and I built all my rigs. Grinder $30, drill $90, saw $10, welder $100.
    wipers will do the job, look for large passenger vehicle and make sure you earth isolate them. The upgrade to bigger 12v worm gear motors later, they are faster and stronger.
    If you want simplicity in controller, look at the Pololu JRk 12v12, granted they cost more than ard and hbridges, but for simplicity and use they are a winner.
    There are builds for seat movers here, just dig through the threads. Then start a thread with ideas on design and we can advise from there.
    Cheers, David.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. jackon680

jackon680 New Member

Balance:
    355Coins
    Ratings:
    +8 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    @RacingMat
    I am completely new to this so I'm not sure what drivers are good. I have a mach3 cnc interface board that my teacher had lying around, and as for the motors my teacher's getting; he's waiting on me to get information about what would be good to use. So if you know of what would be good but still not super expensive I'm all ears.

this is it here
    mach3 interface board.jpg
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2014