1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Are YOU a NEW MEMBER? Introduce HERE!

Discussion in 'New users start here - FAQ' started by fermevc, Jun 20, 2009.

1. SeatTime

SeatTime Well-Known Member

Retired
    Balance:
    28,370Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,844 / 38 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, Motion platform
    Hi all, interested in building a motion simulator and found a link to this site from a post by 'MotionDave' on InsideSimRacing. I have a electronics/Computer background so liked his DC motor design in regard to cost and strength. I will read more before making a final decision, but appreciate all the information which has been posted on this site which will likely save me time/money/frustration.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Brian

Brian CNC Programmer

CNC Programmer / Aerospace Machinist
    Balance:
    974Coins
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Hello everyone,

I'm also in the same boat as SeatTime. New to the community and very interested in building a motion simulator.

I have 35 years experience in manufacturing. I'm a CNC Programmer / Machinist specializing in Aerospace.

I'm trying to decide whether to build a motion simulator using linear actuators or air cylinders. Please could someone let me know the pro's and con's of either one. From what I've learned so far the linear actuators are the more expensive route.

I look forward to spending a lot of time here in the forum.

Best regards

Brian
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. eaorobbie

eaorobbie Well-Known Member SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,390Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, SimforceGT, 6DOF
    Dont bother with air cylinders unless you only intend to build a flight rig , just way too slow and cumbersome.
    And yes its expensive to go down the route of lineer actuators, there are quite a few build popping up using homemade wooden bodies, but again not cheap like a $100 dc motor, and give about the same strength and control. But in turn you might come up with an idea that works better, no harm in trying. We all learn new things here daily, its what make this site so exciting.

Welcome and lets hear your ideas mate.
  4. eaorobbie

eaorobbie Well-Known Member SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,390Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, SimforceGT, 6DOF
    Welcome , yes your in the right place. Settle in have a good read and enjoy the ride (once ya built one).
  5. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    No worries man, welcome, and ask as you need to.
  6. matrixpascal

matrixpascal Member

Balance:
    305Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino
    bonjour a tous je me présente : matrixpascal j'ai 44 ans et suis fan de simulation.
    je réside en France et ne parle pas un seul mot d'anglais :(
    je possède une borne arcade namco que je compte faire dynamique.
    j'ai déjà pas mal parcouru votre forum pour trouver les réponse aux questions qu'il me manque.
  7. FredBasset

FredBasset Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    461Coins
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    Hello. I joined a couple of weeks ago and have been reading ever since. bsft has also given me some advice by e-mail so I thought I should introduce myself here.

I'm after building a more laid back formula style 2dof seat mover, I notice most people go with a more GT style. Am I likely to have any particular problems with the formula style?

Thanks

Fred
  8. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    nope, should be fine, do you have a design in mind?
    Come to think of it, my foot motor setup would work, short sharp movements, your seat would be a lot lower than how I have it.
  9. husam

husam New Member

Balance:
    323Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, 4DOF
    Hi Everyone, I would like to introduce my self
    My name is Hüsam from Turkey, originally I am electronics engineer but working in Industrial Automation Field (PLC & Servomotors) and I am familiar with .net framework environment.
    working as a racing cars simulators developer engineer at www.arcsim.com

I could have time to read some topics in the community and I am very happy to find a place like xsimulator and a people like you guys.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. chopkins

chopkins New Member

Commercial Pilot
    Balance:
    300Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello everyone, my name is Carlos Hopkins, I'm a commercial pilot and aviation enthusiast, I currently reside in Venezuela, South America. I'm starting a project in the area of motion platforms for Flight Simulator X.
    I tried downloading the SimTools_v1.1 but it was impossible, always download corrupt, incomplete or damaged, dont know if anyone can help me on this.

Thanks to all
  11. RaceRay

RaceRay Administrator Staff Member SimAxe Beta Tester

Self-employed | Web and application development
    Balance:
    23,837Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,958 / 13 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, SimAxe, SimforceGT
    Hi chopkins,

Please try to disable your virus scanner for downloading.
    Which browser are u using?

Let me know if that works.
  12. belorge

belorge New Member

Balance:
    334Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    salut,
    j'ai oublié de me présenter, mais je suis ici.
    , mon nom est cyril et je vis en france. "Après plusieurs heures de recherche je suis tombé sur ce site. Je tiens également à construire / acheter ce x-Sim simulateur pour que je puisse avoir de plus en plus de plaisir dans la course. J'ai lu quelques sujets sur la façon de commencer à acheter et construit etc .. et je me suis dit que cela va être des proies faciles . alors j'espère que vous les gars vous peuvez m'aider pour des questions difficiles . Salutations, cyril
  13. juliusEXO

juliusEXO New Member

Balance:
    254Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    Good day! First, I am actually a newbee here and to the software as well. I am not quite good in this kind of stuff but I am willing to know everything because I badly wanted. Sorry if this will be hard for everyone to understand. And pardon me if any questions from me will be quite basic to most of you. But please understand and maybe help me as well.

What i wanted to do is to get the data from no limit rollercoaster simulator using x sim extractor and converter. I have read the manual about the video plugin, that actually say what i really wanted to do which is those chair that you see in 5D cinema. But honestly i do not really understand most of it. Can i actually use it? if no, any other alternative/s?

Any suggestion where i am to begin with? Please help me and it will mean a lot to me.
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  14. speedy

speedy Well-Known Member

Balance:
    7,916Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,285 / 10 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, AC motor, Arduino, Motion platform

I guess you mean SimTools Software with GameEngine ?
  15. juliusEXO

juliusEXO New Member

Balance:
    254Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    Thanks for the response,
    Nope. Honestly i really do not know that software. Do you mean can i use that software for my project? What i have now is the extractor, converter, and the rollercoaster simulation. For now what i needed is guidance for where do i start. any suggestion. thanks
  16. speedy

speedy Well-Known Member

Balance:
    7,916Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,285 / 10 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, AC motor, Arduino, Motion platform
    this site is not supporting this SW any more ... it's really complicated ... you may PM the admin @RaceRay for best guidance .
  17. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Simtools is the best to use for sure, forget the rest.
    http://www.xsimulator.net/community/marketplace/nolimits-rollercoaster-simulation-plugin.31/ we have a plug in for it, so thats the first problem solved.
    next you need to work out a design of a sim frame and controllers you may use. Most common and easy is 12v 200 watt big worm gear motors and Pololu JRK. Thats for a basic 2DOF. Did you have a design in mind?
    Dave.
    • Like Like x 2
  18. juliusEXO

juliusEXO New Member

Balance:
    254Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    I'll study this software quickly i think this will be our last chance, therefore thanks for the help and response. Actually this will be a project of mine in our school. We wanted to make a pneumatic chair. i hope you can guide us. thanks
  19. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    any reason why you wish to use pneumatics? Apart from being slow and expensive, unless you have them already, there are DC motor options ready to go that would be easier and cheaper, still, your option of course. What sort of design did you have in mind? @juliusEXO
  20. juliusEXO

juliusEXO New Member

Balance:
    254Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    Actually it was the task given to us by our professor. But i'll ask him if we can actually use dc motor. Thanks for the advice. What design are u pertaining of, the hardware part? If so, it is not yet establish. but as far as i know, it will be a two sit simulator, powered by pneumatics. The idea is based on a flight simulator.
    If i answered ur question wrong, sorry coz i dunno some technical stuff for now. So please be patient to me. thanks.
    Any advices aside from what u've already told?