1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Are YOU a NEW MEMBER? Introduce HERE!

Discussion in 'New users start here - FAQ' started by fermevc, Jun 20, 2009.

1. eloverphx

eloverphx Member

Electrician
    Balance:
    297Coins
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Joyrider
    Hello x-simer's
    This site is a wealth of information. I am looking to start making a motion sim someday and trying to figure out where to start and a fairly inexpensive way to build one. I will continue my reading and my learning. Ideally I would like to use my sim for x-planes and some racing games such as rfactor. So I suppose I am looking at a 2dof to start with and maybe down the road work towards a 3dof. :hi:

Thanks everyone for their hard work and dedication.
  2. christianr3

christianr3 Member

Balance:
    531Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, JRK
    :hi: hello my name is christian and do not speak English, I'm using a google translator to write, today is my first day with you , I want to build my own simulator, but first I want to understand more the software, and my question is sigueinte, I want use a single PC to control the force and xproflie sender, any of you done this? :? , could help me understand more about it, thank you! :sos:
  3. Di13

Di13 New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi i am new in this and I want to build racing seat and motion platform from scratch.
    Any ideas of materials and how to do it ?
    Is it hard or expensive to build it ?
    Thank you for any ideas
  4. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

............READ THE MOTION SIM PROJECTS THREAD!!!!.................
  5. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    refer to this document http://www.filehosting.org/file/details ... _Lane.docx
  6. christianr3

christianr3 Member

Balance:
    531Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, JRK
    thanks brother for the paper, I will read it to understand!, and send for the actuator scn5, I should arrive in 2 weeks, when it comes seeketh to see if I can install jejeje
  7. SLY_84

SLY_84 New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello all, accept a new member of a forum :) , at present I am occupied by simulator construction joyrider, electronics is ready it is necessary to make a platform and in this connection I want to ask council, whether this platform for Condor soaring will approach :? ?
  8. Terminator3d

Terminator3d New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi guys! I am, of course, new here. My name is Paul. I use the handle terminator3d because of the experience I had at Universal Studios in Florida, USA. One of their attractions was a show/ride called Terminator 3D. In this attraction the seats moved a little with some of the scenes. It kinda thrilled me that they did this. So, I decided then that on every site I become a member of, that will be the alias I use.

I am in The United States Of America in South Carolina. I am retired US Army. I attempted to build a motion chair about 15 years ago when I first saw one on the internet. As a matter of fact I beIieve it was the 'Rock-n-Ride' Chair. I used to teach basic electronics, hand tools, Hydraulics and pneumatics, so I am familiar with electronic and electro-mechanical devices along with hydraulics and pneumatics. Where I ran into the problem was with the software portion. I eventually gave up untill recently when I saw the exorbitant prices of today's motion simulators. I got to thinking to myself that the manufacturers have gone overboard on the price of them Yes, I know that a lot of work has gone into the programming, frame by frame, etc. I just think they are charging way to much. Then I saw Thanos's simulator and thought to myself AHA! I knew it could be done. So I read further and purchased the plans for $15.00. However, I'm not sure which way I am going to go with the design of the simulator itself. But I do know that I want to be able to use USB peripherals since that is all you can find today. Seems like most of you guys are using the old analog style wheel and pedals. Correct me if I am wrong. I haven't read through the entire site yet. I still have my old Nascar Pro racing Wheel and Pedals, which are analog of course.

OK, Now you know that I am an old man. LOL I am looking forward to the building and learning process. I found a bunch of good racing type seats at JC Penny on their site. I typed in Rugged, molded seats and came up with some that are reasonably priced ($49.00 - $65.00 before shipping costs). I don't have the url unfortunately but just go and look.

Thanks for letting me join your community. I will do my best to keep my questions at a minimum. LOL I still have a lot of reading to do. term.
  9. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Post some questions in AFTER you have extensively gone through the rest of the forum. Yo may find answers there before you find questions.
  10. christianr3

christianr3 Member

Balance:
    531Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, JRK
    Hi bsft!, I'm trying to make the avr by Thanos, but I can not in my country the ATMEGA8535-16PU, here I get the atmega664, please can you tell me if it works in the motion control avr by Thanos, thanks for your help
  11. christianr3

christianr3 Member

Balance:
    531Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, JRK
    I think I could put the photo, let me know if you can see

Attached Files:

12. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    sorry I cannot help, I have not built the AMC. I run pololu JRK as it is simple for me.
    Maybe another member here can help.
    Cheers, David.
  13. christianr3

christianr3 Member

Balance:
    531Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, JRK
    I followed your work with the pololu jrk12v-12 and decided to buy engines that you use because I look good ... http://www.motiondynamics .com.au / worm-d ... orque.html, can you tell me if you are working? ... can you tell me if it's easy to uasr pololu with x-sim, thank you! :thbup:
  14. GT3ALRA

GT3ALRA New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi all,
    I'm new here and I'm interested in buying a SimXperience sim. The problem it's that I live in Spain and the shipping costs and customs are very high...
    On the other hand, I simply show up at the forum and I have long to said that according to topics and threads but so far I have not decided to say something.
    In any case, thanks for the fantastic job you do and the amount of information that a novice (me) is a very high value.

Tnx!
  15. museumsteve

museumsteve Member

Retailer
    Balance:
    136Coins
    Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, SCN5
    HI everyone at x-sim.
    I'm a complete newbie with motion rigs but am just finishing a 3 screen/projector setup mainly for racing and now I really think I want to add motion, even just a wiper motor 2dof to start with.
    I'm in the UK and would gladly buy a second hand setup if anyone was moving on to bigger and better things :D but that's cos I dont really know where to start ;)
    It's certainly been fascinating reading up on some of the projects here :)
  16. ILikeBeans

ILikeBeans New Member

Balance:
    6Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi guys,

Like many of you, I have been researching the net about simulators for a while now and have come across this site. Lots of good info and projects....and of course the motion software :clap:
    I am still very much learning and will be in the design mode for quite a while still. I have been a PC gamer and builder for a number of years, mostly FPS, and am getting to a place were I would like to have a driving sim as racing was a passion years ago. I don't have $10,000+ to have one delivered at my door, but $5000 for the same thing would be possible. I am a fabricator/mechanic by profession, but electronics are something I would need much help with.
  17. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    for the simplest of electronics boards, lean towards the JRK ,http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/1393, one per motor, simple uso commands, one usb cable and 7 wires. No mucking around sourcing pcb boards or components. Well, simple for me as I do not have the patience.. :rofl:
    Have a look through this doc, and ask questions as you need to. http://www.filehosting.org/file/details ... _Lane.docx
    You could probably build a sim for less that $5000 anyway, with some thought and planning.
    Cheers, David.
  18. ILikeBeans

ILikeBeans New Member

Balance:
    6Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Awesome, thanks for the links and info bsft. I will definitely have questions as time goes on.
  19. gazz

gazz Member

Balance:
    105Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Arduino
    Hello, Newbie here,

I'm building a cockpit for a bus simulator!!! yes i know most people want to race around a track, sliding around the corners and crashing into other cars to get them out of the way,

But i want to simulate driving a bus or truck, driving gently without annoyting the passengers/dammaging cargo, avoiding breaking road rules and so on.

The bus sim i am playing with is called 'OMSI' it's absolutely brilliant in terms of realism, controls and the things you have to do.

So to make it even more 'realistic' i'm making a semi replica cockpit of one of the buses, mainly the dashboard with the gauges (tachograph, oil,water,fuel, air pressure) idiot lights (battery, low air, high beam, indicators etc) stop request light, door buttons, handbrake, bus stop brake, interior light switches and so on,

i also have a real ticket machine and a coin changer i am going to interface to the sim, so pressing the relevent ticket machine buttons/coin lever operates the virtual ones in the sim, and the display on the ticket machine will work like the virtual one, also will build an 'ibis' which is for controlling the dot matrix destination displays, announce next stop etc, again buttons and an LCD to interface.

Also i will be replacing the logitec GT wheel and pedals with a real bus wheel and steering colum with stalk switches, and real accelerator and brake pedals from a bus,

And one day i'd like to add motion to the platform, and as well as the bus sim be able to use to for euro trucker 2 when it comes out.

But for now i'm making the dashboard, controls etc, and figuring out how to get the signals out of the sim to operate the real gauges and lights on the dash,
    Got an arduino mega board i hope to use, and the sim has plugin capability to get data out of it, but not much documentation about it that i can understand,
  20. faelvasco

faelvasco New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    hi my first post here, hope to Build my own simulator...